• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
There are more ways 4 defenders can unsettle a keeper than the other way around. Look, I'm giving people clues now ffs.
If the back four don't trust the keeper behind them, everything breaks down. You become hesitant if you can't trust the GK in possession, if you're unsure whether he's going to come for crosses/through balls, or if he elects to punch instead of catching to relieve pressure.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
If the back four don't trust the keeper behind them, everything breaks down. You become hesitant if you can't trust the GK in possession, if you're unsure whether he's going to come for crosses/through balls, or if he elects to punch instead of catching to relieve pressure.
If they're doing their jobs, it doesn't matter what the keeper does. His job is to save shots that the defenders are unable to cut out. Come on, dont make me start stating the obvious

Malky

Established Member
People trying to defend Cechs performances this season? He's terrible! He's not getting a pass from me because, in some games, he remembers how to do the basics.
He was in a steep decline when we signed him, and got far, far worse since. Can't see any other Premiership club offering him the chance as their first choice.
I would honestly rather give Macey a chance at this point, see if the lad is up to it.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
If they're doing their jobs, it doesn't matter what the keeper does
Of course it does, are you telling me that a keeper who does things like this is not going to make his defenders nervous?:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Of course it does, are you telling me that a keeper who does things like this is not going to make his defenders nervous?:
You cant be nervous about something you have no control over. The keeper has to watch and try to be reactive to every fvck up in front of him. The Keeper is always behind the defenders, so what gets past them isn't a worry anymore.

It's like this: You're sitting in your house and there's some crazed lunatic roaming the streets looking for you, so you phone a security guard to come and sit outside your door. What's your main concern now? Should the guard be worried I might not be able to fight off the lunatic if he fails his job, or should I be the one who's worried about whether he's up to the task?

I wont argue this anymore. Seriously, it's dumb imo.

Also, I'm not saying a keeper can't make defenders nervous. I'm saying a keeper is more affected by a crap defence than a defence is affected by a crap keeper.

Last edited:
Reactions: A_G

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I still feel Cech is a top keeper you can see it occasionally. In my eyes he is currently no different than a striker on a ten game goal drought. Devoid of confidence and like the striker who misses chances they should be scoring goals are going in that he should be saving.

I've also a feeling that the keeper doesn't trust the defence and the defence do not trust the keeper. But this goes right across the team. Everyone is shot of self belief and confidence.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
How did he finish with the most clean sheets in a season a few years ago? I suppose his ****ness must have been shielded by his defence. Hmmmm... Or was he the one making tackles in front of the back four?

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Oh @Jury hahahaha your bullshitting ffs. Honestly, your kind of people are my favorite people in this world. Just keep on digging that hole, you know it, I know it, but just keep going like nothing is wrong.

ClubLevel

I still feel Cech is a top keeper you can see it occasionally. In my eyes he is currently no different than a striker on a ten game goal drought. Devoid of confidence and like the striker who misses chances they should be scoring goals are going in that he should be saving.

I've also a feeling that the keeper doesn't trust the defence and the defence do not trust the keeper. But this goes right across the team. Everyone is shot of self belief and confidence.

I'm not defending Cech as he has made mistakes and we do need a top replacement...BUT our defence doesn't help and has to play a part on the goals being conceded as Cech is coming out for crosses the defenders should be heading away and also rushing out on goal when he shouldn't be exposed.

We have to accept that Cech for all his strengths isn't the quickest and has his flaws, its down to our defence and team to cover those flaws (e.g. not leaving space to run behind).

Cech in a team that parks the bus would be a much different player, but when exposed he isn't the same.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Oh @Jury hahahaha your bullshitting ffs. Honestly, your kind of people are my favorite people in this world. Just keep on digging that hole, you know it, I know it, but just keep going like nothing is wrong.
Strong post. You know, you're on the way to making me change my opinion. One more 'lulz keep digging' and I might be converted.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Also, I'm not saying a keeper can't make defenders nervous. I'm saying a keeper is more affected by a crap defence than a defence is affected by a crap keeper.
Oh I see, I think I misread your initial post.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Strong post. You know, you're on the way to making me change my opinion. One more 'lulz keep digging' and I might be converted.
One love, brother. Keep doing what you’re doing, probably the most entertaining poster on here.

pacstud

I won't pretend to know the game.

Jury's statement is truth.

The keeper is on an island, and while a good keeper can make a back line better, it really doesn't, nor should matter (mostly) what the keeper's doing in terms of what the line is doing.

He doesn't come out? He does? How does that affect the line?

pacstud

He can't stop the low screamers anymore.

That's an age issue.

Too slow to ground.

Otherwise he's still solid and can run the back line as well as anyone.

Giroud12

Been our worst player this season. At least Xhaka and Mustafi can only get better under a new manager, Cech will only get worse no matter what. What about bringing back Flappy? Has looked good for years now.

Jae

You cant be nervous about something you have no control over. The keeper has to watch and try to be reactive to every fvck up in front of him. The Keeper is always behind the defenders, so what gets past them isn't a worry anymore.

It's like this: You're sitting in your house and there's some crazed lunatic roaming the streets looking for you, so you phone a security guard to come and sit outside your door. What's your main concern now? Should the guard be worried I might not be able to fight off the lunatic if he fails his job, or should I be the one who's worried about whether he's up to the task?

I wont argue this anymore. Seriously, it's dumb imo.

I agree with you mostly, however I will say that where it does make a difference is on corners.

If you're a defender and you know that your keeper is sh*te and is either going to:
A) Stand still and not attempt to get to the ball when he should do.
B) Come out to try and punch it but miss.
C) Completely flap at it then f*ck everything up.

Then as a defender I'd be taking things into my own hands to ensure the ball gets cleared (which causes it's own problems IMO).

But to go back to your point, it's the defences job to make sure that the opposition don't get any shots on goal, regardless of how sh*t the keeper is :lol:

pacstud

I agree with you mostly, however I will say that where it does make a difference is on corners.

If you're a defender and you know that your keeper is sh*te and is either going to:
A) Stand still and not attempt to get to the ball when he should do.
B) Come out to try and punch it but miss.
C) Completely flap at it then f*ck everything up.

Then as a defender I'd be taking things into my own hands to ensure the ball gets cleared (which causes it's own problems IMO).

But to go back to your point, it's the defences job to make sure that the opposition don't get any shots on goal, regardless of how sh*t the keeper is :lol:
On the first goal, the defender did **** all and Cech would have been in bad shape had he not charged it.

That being said, his inability to get there and clear it is on him and his declining skills.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Arsenal F.C. is in no way obligated to let Cech reach his record. Most of those clean sheets came for Chelsea. Go back there and get it in a 0-0 against Stoke or Burnley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom