• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Very astute again yesterday. And I cannot recall any "passing" mistakes.

I cannot really be critical of a guy who keeps goal to a high level and has really bought into what Emery is trying to do.

Malky

Established Member
Credit where it's due, he looks like he's rolled back the years with his performances. If this is all down to a new coach or the competition from Leno then it's doing him wonders.
As for the playing out from the back, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, can't expect a keeper his age to drastically improve his distribution at this stage of his career. As long as he keeps things tidy I'll be happy, not going to expect him to ping 90+ yard passes like Ederson and Allison.

Glad for him.

But worried that we don't have replacement for him when he leaves. Wonder if you want a top keeper you have to go over the 50 M mark which we will never do and in the end we will sit up with some losers in the goal!

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

I cannot really be critical of a guy who keeps goal to a high level and has really bought into what Emery is trying to do.

Maybe not mistakes but he is not comfortable with the ball, takes too much time

But cant blame him for that he has never been that kind of gk

Age is showing, younger faster Gk would have taken one of the goals

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
One of his best performance in our shirt, against his former club.

Sadly the result didn't go our way but his performance was surely encouraging. I like that.

Jae

He looks shaky when passing out but what is he supposed to do when he has the likes of Mustafi playing hospital balls back to him when he has opposition players charging him down? Feel sorry for him!

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
He looks shaky when passing out but what is he supposed to do when he has the likes of Mustafi playing hospital balls back to him when he has opposition players charging him down? Feel sorry for him!

But that is one of the points of having a ball playing GK. He's not just someone to receive SOS passes and kick them away, he is supposed to be a serious passing option to beat a high press and play out from the back. He is supposed to receive such balls from the CBS and be part of passing. If that puts him under pressure he is just not a very good option for such play.

Jae

But that is one of the points of having a ball playing GK. He's not just someone to receive SOS passes and kick them away, he is supposed to be a serious passing option to beat a high press and play out from the back. He is supposed to receive such balls from the CBS and be part of passing. If that puts him under pressure he is just not a very good option for such play.

I agree with you mate, the point that I was making though is that Mustafi played a few poor balls to Cech when he had an opposition player basically man marking him, which 99% of keepers would struggle to deal with, let alone Cech. You wouldn't pass it to a defender in that situation let alone your keeper.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

Passign was better but on one or two occasions he put players in trouble with a tight pass.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Passign was better but on one or two occasions he put players in trouble with a tight pass.

Top point. Thing is not only can he pass? -But can he pick a pass? While can arguably get better at the first one, as a keeper brought up in a time of shot stoppers I don't think he has or can develop the ability to pick passes. He lacks vision and often seems to choose the wrong option.

I would really like to see Leno against Westham

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Top point. Thing is not only can he pass? -But can he pick a pass? While can arguably get better at the first one, as a keeper brought up in a time of shot stoppers I don't think he has or can develop the ability to pick passes. He lacks vision and often seems to choose the wrong option.

I would really like to see Leno against Westham
I'm also keen to see Leno but I must admit i know so little about him I'm wary it will cost us and as such have no choice but to accept the manager's decision..

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
No one has mentioned Cech's performance. Yes he's made some good saves in all 3 games, some great saves but for me he seems very slow to react to anything that's not straight at him. His reflexes seem to be very poor, in all 3 PL games he has failed to dive for anything more than 3 ft to either side of him. Look at West Hams goal, he just flops down on his side, its not even a dive. An athletic keeper would have got to that and may be one or 2 of the City/Chelsea goals. I know some are saying he's upped his game this season, perhaps that's due to how bad he was last season. Leno needs a chance soon, I guess it will be the EL.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/watch-goals-west-ham-win

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

No one has mentioned Cech's performance. Yes he's made some good saves in all 3 games, some great saves but for me he seems very slow to react to anything that's not straight at him. His reflexes seem to be very poor, in all 3 PL games he has failed to dive for anything more than 3 ft to either side of him. Look at West Hams goal, he just flops down on his side, its not even a dive. An athletic keeper would have got to that and may be one or 2 of the City/Chelsea goals. I know some are saying he's upped his game this season, perhaps that's due to how bad he was last season. Leno needs a chance soon, I guess it will be the EL.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/watch-goals-west-ham-win
Didn't help the ball coming through the defenders legs. Looked like he had a solid enough game again. Which is encouraging and worrying simply because our keeper shouldn't be getting worked as much as he is.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
He did very good for what I saw (also taking the City and Chelsea games into account) but those goals in the bottom corner are a problem. He can't get there fast enough anymore.

Look at Fabianski's save at Ramsey's shot. That would have been a goal with Cech between the sticks.

Not sure whether Leno is better though. They must watch them in training and decide upon that performance.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He did very good for what I saw (also taking the City and Chelsea games into account) but those goals in the bottom corner are a problem. He can't get there fast enough anymore.

Look at Fabianski's save at Ramsey's shot. That would have been a goal with Cech between the sticks.

Not sure whether Leno is better though. They must watch them in training and decide upon that performance.
I don't mind it, but think Cech is still getting a ride because of his status.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Glad for him.

But worried that we don't have replacement for him when he leaves. Wonder if you want a top keeper you have to go over the 50 M mark which we will never do and in the end we will sit up with some losers in the goal!
Why this claim? Have you seen Leno play? Something we should be worried about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom