• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Young defender Carl Jenkinson joins Arsenal

Vela

Established Member
http://www.arsenal.com/news/reserves-news/carl-jenkinson-joins-arsenal

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that promising defender Carl Jenkinson, 19, has arrived from League One side Charlton Athletic. His signing was confirmed as young Gunners Benik Afobe, Chuks Aneke and Oguzhan Ozyakup also pledged their futures to the Club.

Jenkinson joins Arsenal having featured nine times for Charlton Athletic’s first team. Predominantly a right-back, the 6’1” youngster can also play in the centre of defence. Although born in England, Jenkinson qualifies to represent both England and Finland through his mother. The defender has already represented both countries at youth level, and last season captained Finland Under-19s.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Welcome to the club.

Not impressed with most of the full-backs in the reserve/youths so it's an area that we needed to reinforce.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Welcome Carl, may you be the start of one or two extras at the back.

KY

Established Member
Good deal, especially with Gibbs doing a pretty decent impression of Tomas Rosicky nowadays...
<a class="postlink" href="http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6970716,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://football365.com/story/0,17033,86 ... 16,00.html</a>

GunneDown

Do you think this is a signing that will see eboue leave?

Hope he is good, league 1 to prem? big step...

yuvken

Established Member
Welcome, good luck.

Is this Eboue's cue? or at least long term (january, that is :) )?

GunneDown

he has pass...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J61-X1DRcNc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J61-X1DRcNc</a>

dyeruz

Established Member
So Man U sign Jones, good potential & league experience and we're signing Jenkinson, Charlton reserves player to replace Eboue whom like him or not has bags of experience? What was that about needing more experience in the squad?

Welcome young Finn/Brit and good luck to ya!

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He's listed in the reserves so unless something changes, he's not replacing Eboue immediately.

a_fourteen

Established Member
dyeruz said:
So Man U sign Jones, good potential & league experience and we're signing Jenkinson, Charlton reserves player to replace Eboue whom like him or not has bags of experience? What was that about needing more experience in the squad?

Welcome young Finn/Brit and good luck to ya!

man u tried to sign jenkinson two seasons ago when he was only 17. so there must be something in him. another prospect that stuart pearce missed. oh well...

ricky1985

Established Member
From Twitter:
Carl_Jenkinson
cant begin to describe my happiness in joining my boyhood club, a big thank you to all the Arsenal fans who have welcomed me on here :)...

From Young Guns:
Interview: The Low Down on Carl Jenkinson
After months of speculation and rumour, Carl Jenkinson’s transfer to Arsenal was finally confirmed this afternoon. The 19-year-old moves to North London for a compensation fee of around £1 million.

To get the low down on Jenkinson, I caught up with Charlton fan and youth team expert Scott, who tweets about the Addicks youngsters over at CAFCYouth. He began by giving an introduction to Carl.

“Carl has been with Charlton since Under 9 level. He made his Under 18 debut in 2007, as an Under 16. He played regularly for the Under 18′s from 2008 to 2010, and also made international appearances for both England and Finland at youth level. He also captained Charlton Under 18′s in their three FA Youth Cup matches at The Valley last season and Finland Under 18′s in an 8 team tournament last season.”

“He’s also made several appearances in Reserve friendlies during the last season and played in first-team friendlies last pre-season.”

Many have written about Jenkinson, but few have actually agreed on his best position. Scott set the record straight on that.

“He is comfortable at both right back, as he’s right footed, and centre back. He can occasionally play at left back, but he’s better in the other two positions. He has also had the odd game in central midfield. At the moment I see him as a right back, as he probably isn’t quite strong enough or dominant in the air to play centre back at present.”

And overall? What is Jenkinson’s best qualities? Scott gave his view.

“He’s a good all round player, comfortable on the ball, looks to run with it, intelligent, tall, hard working and versatile. That’s not to say he’s proven even at League One level yet, he’s not even started 10 games for us. I’m sure if he keeps working at his game he’ll improve in all areas, get stronger, read the game better, make better decisions. He also takes a good set piece.”

Jenkinson has without doubt upset a number of Charlton fans, after turning down a new contract to join Arsenal. However, Scott believes this decision was totally understandable.

“I can’t blame him from moving on. We only gave him a 1 year deal, he and his family support Arsenal, and the opportunity to train with Premier League players, coaches and have Wenger as manager is too good to turn down.”

For the final word on Jenkinson, Scott gave me his initial opinion on how he thinks the young defender will do at Arsenal.

“He’s a gamble, he’s not not as proven as Jonjo Shelvey was at first team level, but one worth you taking I think. With better players around him, who are more comfortable on the ball, you will see him pass the on the floor and show his real quality.”

yuvken

Established Member
a good all round player, comfortable on the ball, looks to run with it, intelligent, tall, hard working and versatile.
Sounds like an AW player definition
not ... proven even at League One level yet
We have a perfect match :lol: .

Interesting that he thinks it's "a gamble". If he does prove to be good - credit to the boss. Not an obvious one, apparently.

I like that he's a gooner. Hope he improves on Hoyte.

Y va marquer

Established Member
Yes, the best of luck to him :)

Have yet to see him play so have zero to contribute apart from speculating as to whether he will or will not feature anywhere other than in the reserves and CC teams next season.

dpt49

Established Member
I like that he he has joined the club that he supported and that he looks to be a good prospect, but it is a big step from Charlton reserves to the EPL.

This seems to indicate that we will not be going for Leighton Baines as was rumoured.
I assume he will not be our only defensive signing this transfer window.
We still desperately need quality and experience

Latest posts

Top Bottom