• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Young Stars of Football: The Next Generation

Malky

Established Member
Anyone else thinking that Dolberg is a better option for CF here than Mbappe?
Mbappe looks like Wenger will do a Henry with him and play him on the wing for a season or two before he's ready for CF, whereas Dolberg looks like he could play that role already for us. The lad has something ' Van Persie-esque ' about him.

Wilshero

How has Dolberg been doing goal wise during the later part of the season? I remember him having an impressive goal ratio in the start of the season, but when I looked through his stats the other day he only had 15 in the league (which isn't bad).

I like him as a player and from what I've seen of him, which isn't a lot tbf, he looks like the prototype of an Arsenal CF.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
Mbappe looks like Wenger will do a Henry with him and play him on the wing for a season or two before he's ready for CF, whereas Dolberg looks like he could play that role already for us. The lad has something ' Van Persie-esque ' about him.

I could be pedantic here and point out that Van Persie played as a winger for longer than Henry but I know what you're saying :)
I think the reason in general people (not just Arsenal fans) are talking about Mbappe more is the lightning pace, it's just such a weapon.
Take Aubameyang for instance, or even Lukaku, I watch them and they're not actually that good, Giroud is a much better footballer than either of them yet they are both worth £70-80m while Giroud just gets abused.
Mbappe looks to have the technique to go with it which is why all the fuss and Thierry comparison, don't get me wrong though I'd be ecstatic with either.

logic DC

i'm tempted to call G.Jesus overrated, I remember people saying he was as talented as Neymar if not better but I will reserve my judgment for now.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Honestly the guy he reminds me most of if we have to compare him to another player is Suarez. Suarez is kind of right in between Thierry in Judas in terms of his level and traits and I think Dolberg is a very similar mould. He's absolutely outstanding technically and while he's not lightning fast like Mbappe or Henry he is certainly quick like Suarez. He also has a knack for attempting and finishing chances from angles that most other players don't even attempt. He always knows where the goal is and he's got the confidence and ability to create chances that shouldn't be there. He's not quite the provider that a Suarez is let alone an Henry but his intelligence of movement and awareness of space is very similar to Judas. Given how badly Wenger wanted Suarez I would sincerely hope he's going all out for this lad because he is going to be immense for years.

Batman

i'm tempted to call G.Jesus overrated, I remember people saying he was as talented as Neymar if not better but I will reserve my judgment for now.
I wouldn't call him overrated simply because I've never heard anyone crazy enough to compare him to Neymar. They play in very different roles and Neymar is a generational talent. At best Jesus will be the Aguero to Neymar's Messi which is nothing to be ashamed of but any comparison of the 2 is silly.

Batman

I could be pedantic here and point out that Van Persie played as a winger for longer than Henry but I know what you're saying :)
I think the reason in general people (not just Arsenal fans) are talking about Mbappe more is the lightning pace, it's just such a weapon.
Take Aubameyang for instance, or even Lukaku, I watch them and they're not actually that good, Giroud is a much better footballer than either of them yet they are both worth £70-80m while Giroud just gets abused.
Mbappe looks to have the technique to go with it which is why all the fuss and Thierry comparison, don't get me wrong though I'd be ecstatic with either.
Honestly the Henry comparison is because he's fast, black, French and plays at Monaco. Just like every half decent Argentinean attacking player before Messi was called the "new Maradona" for no real reason at all every young, quick french lad with an eye for goal compared to is The King if they're black. Mbappe is not as fast and he's 4 inches shorter. He's certainly better than Thierry was at that age but so was Martial and we see how that's turning out. He's a fabulous player and of course I would love to have him but if he were a white guy they'd be comparing him to someone else. People are just kind of ignorant and desperate to make comparisons. Every tall, black French midfielder is "the new Vieira" once he strings a few good matches together. It's stupid and should stop but that's the world we live in.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
He is being remarkably prolific for the national team & City early on... must be close to a goal every 90 minutes. Gabigol is turning out to be a flop but feel City hit the gold mine with Jesus. More Ronaldo less Neymar!

logic DC

Honestly the Henry comparison is because he's fast, black, French and plays at Monaco. Just like every half decent Argentinean attacking player before Messi was called the "new Maradona" for no real reason at all every young, quick french lad with an eye for goal compared to is The King if they're black. Mbappe is not as fast and he's 4 inches shorter. He's certainly better than Thierry was at that age but so was Martial and we see how that's turning out. He's a fabulous player and of course I would love to have him but if he were a white guy they'd be comparing him to someone else. People are just kind of ignorant and desperate to make comparisons. Every tall, black French midfielder is "the new Vieira" once he strings a few good matches together. It's stupid and should stop but that's the world we live in.
nah, I honestly do see a lot of Henry in this kid Mpabbe, he is a hybrid of Neymar and Henry in playing style. look at the way he runs and dribbles don't you see King Henry's influence there?

Batman

nah, I honestly do see a lot of Henry in this kid Mpabbe, he is a hybrid of Neymar and Henry in playing style. look at the way he runs and dribbles don't you see King Henry's influence there?
I really don't. He looks as much like Henry in style to me as he does to someone like Eto'o. He's fast, he can dribble and he finishes well. How many thousands of players throughout history can we say that about? I just feel people are too desperate to make these sorts of comparisons especially when there are aesthetic similarities.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Honestly the guy he reminds me most of if we have to compare him to another player is Suarez. Suarez is kind of right in between Thierry in Judas in terms of his level and traits and I think Dolberg is a very similar mould. He's absolutely outstanding technically and while he's not lightning fast like Mbappe or Henry he is certainly quick like Suarez. He also has a knack for attempting and finishing chances from angles that most other players don't even attempt. He always knows where the goal is and he's got the confidence and ability to create chances that shouldn't be there. He's not quite the provider that a Suarez is let alone an Henry but his intelligence of movement and awareness of space is very similar to Judas. Given how badly Wenger wanted Suarez I would sincerely hope he's going all out for this lad because he is going to be immense for years.

I'm not sure Suarez is the right comparison. Dolberg seems more like Torres to me, with less pace. For such a young player he is so good back to goal and I just like his ice cold demeanor. Ajax play a lot of long balls to him ad he handles them very well. He is a handful and gives you the option of going long, running the channels and also in behind. He can also provide link up play, so in terms of being the complete package, I can't think of any other number 9 that young who is as capable.

Batman

I'm not sure Suarez is the right comparison. Dolberg seems more like Torres to me, with less pace. For such a young player he is so good back to goal and I just like his ice cold demeanor. Ajax play a lot of long balls to him ad he handles them very well. He is a handful and gives you the option of going long, running the channels and also in behind. He can also provide link up play, so in terms of being the complete package, I can't think of any other number 9 that young who is as capable.
Did you see Suarez at Ajax? Their style of play was not so different when Suarez was there and he found himself in many of the same positions that Dolberg does today. They played long balls to Suarez then. Suarez is also excellent with his back to goal. Torres was quicker and a better dribbler than both Suarez and Dolberg.

You also have to remember that Suarez was deployed out wide more than either Dolberg or Torres and in that sense is a more versatile player. However when deployed centrally I see more Suarez from Dolberg than Torres. I'm not as worried about the kind of system they play in as what they do once they receive the ball. When Dolberg gets the ball he has a knack for executing the audacious that smacks of Suarez. Torres as good as he was in his pomp was much more predictable in his finishing and much more reliant on his pace than either Dolberg or Suarez for me.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

I'd take Lukaku and Aubameyang in a heart beat!

Both are quicker and more mobile, better technique, better dribblers, heck I think atleast lukaku is more powerful aswell

Lukaku frekkin scores more in the PL and does so playing for Everton!

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Did you see Suarez at Ajax? Their style of play was not so different when Suarez was there and he found himself in many of the same positions that Dolberg does today. They played long balls to Suarez then. Suarez is also excellent with his back to goal. Torres was quicker and a better dribbler than both Suarez and Dolberg.

You also have to remember that Suarez was deployed out wide more than either Dolberg or Torres and in that sense is a more versatile player. However when deployed centrally I see more Suarez from Dolberg than Torres. I'm not as worried about the kind of system they play in as what they do once they receive the ball. When Dolberg gets the ball he has a knack for executing the audacious that smacks of Suarez. Torres as good as he was in his pomp was much more predictable in his finishing and much more reliant on his pace than either Dolberg or Suarez for me.
I have a lot of difficulty comparing Dolberg to any striker, even after watching every minute of every game he plays. He's special. As to Suarez, he wasn't that good at playing with his back to goal in his time at Ajax. That's why he played on the wing that much. He could receive the ball with his back to goal and create a chance for himself very well, but what Dolberg does so well, bringing other players into play with his holdup play, his one touch and move style, its not what Suarez used to do at Ajax.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I'd take Lukaku and Aubameyang in a heart beat!

Both are quicker and more mobile, better technique, better dribblers, heck I think atleast lukaku is more powerful aswell

Lukaku frekkin scores more in the PL and does so playing for Everton!

In attempting to emphasise the important of pace I was saying if Giroud had the same speed as the other two I would probably take him over both.
I also disagree on the better technique, the near post flick ins, the one two with Wilshere, the scorpion kick, Giroud has very good technique.
I would say better than the other two, especially Lukaku, bloke has all the subtlety of a Rhinoceros, his second touch is usually a tackle.
The dribbling thing is a bit redundant because Giroud is so slow he never even attempts it but the other two aren't particuarly good imo, which leaves "quicker" and "more mobile" which are essentially the same thing.

Just to be clear I wouldn't say no to either, mainly due to the lack of options about but I do think they are both massively overrated.

Batman

I have a lot of difficulty comparing Dolberg to any striker, even after watching every minute of every game he plays. He's special. As to Suarez, he wasn't that good at playing with his back to goal in his time at Ajax. That's why he played on the wing that much. He could receive the ball with his back to goal and create a chance for himself very well, but what Dolberg does so well, bringing other players into play with his holdup play, his one touch and move style, its not what Suarez used to do at Ajax.
That aspect is where he really resembles RVP. You're right. He most reminds me as Suarez for the reasons I stated but you can see a lot of different traits of some really great players if you look. He really is very special and I'm going to be very sad when he inevitably ends up with one of our rivals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom