• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Your Best XI?

outlaw_member

Established Member
If we were facing Chelsea in the Champions League final, and for arguments sake, we had a full strength team to choose from with every player in good form, what would your lineup be?

Lord Dula

Established Member
Not sure if Arsène knows his but this is mine:-

---------------Almunia
Sagna----Squillaci---Vermaelen---Clichy
-----------Song-----Wilshere
---------------Fabregas
-----Walcott-------------Arshavin
---------------Chamakh

MAK 14

Established Member
----------- Almunia
Sagna - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Clichy
--------- Song - Denilson
------------ Fabregas
Walcott -- van Persie -- Arshavin

It's all dependant on form though; currently Denilson doesn't deserve a place ahead of Wilshere. I don't think van Persie should just walk straight back into the team when he gets back either - he needs to earn his place back.

arsmile

Established Member
almunia
sagna-kos-verm-clichy
nasri-song-cesc
theo-vanpersie-arshavin

the beauty of it is though- i dont think we'd be much weaker if we had to/chose to use any of-

eboue
squillaci
gibbs
deniilson
diaby
wilshere
rosicky
ramsey
chamakh
bendtner
vela

in certain positions...even against chelsea in a final!- sticking 1 or 2 of those in could be very useful. predictability of play has been a problem of ours for a while, but we have a variety of different players who will play the game differently there

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
---------------Almunia--------------

-Sagna---Koscielny----Verm---Clichy-

--------------------Song------------
---------Wilshere-------------------

-----------------Fabregas-----------

----Walcott----------------Arshavin-

----------------Chamack------------

Offensive quality has never really been a problem, but the lack of positional discipline and awareness has been rearing its ugly head for a while now. I feel the best chance of eradicating this trend with the available resources, at least as far as the midfield goes, is the trio posted.

It feels slightly kneejerk to include Wilshere, but to me he is realising a healthy portion of his incredible potential and deserves to be started ahead of Denilson.

It also feels wrong to include Chamack ahead of Van Persie, but he adds so much to the team it's impossible to leave him out.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
-----------Almunia? (zzz)
Sagna Koscielny Vermaelen Clichy
--------------Song
----------Cesc Diaby
Nasri--------Chamakh----Arshavin

Scznesny
Squillaci
Walcott
RVP
Rosicky
Eboue
Gibbs

ricky1985

Established Member
Been meaning to start a similar thread for ages now, regarding our Starting XI if everyone is fit (haha). For me, we're very strong all over, with few certainties, and one or two problem areas. Here's mine;

Almunia - Szczesny, hopefully soon. No more to say.

Sagna - without question, despite what I've contemplated previously.

Koscielny - tight between him and Squillaci, but I think there's a lot more to come from this guy, and I really like his style. There's still uncertainty in some of what he does, and he needs to get stronger, but he reads the game like a god.

Vermaelen.

Gibbs - a little controversial, maybe, but I think he's not only a better footballer than Clichy - which is generally accepted - but a better defender too. Clichy can defnde when the plays in front of him and when we're on the front foot, but when he's asked to defend in our box, or when we're on the back foot and he has to try and read the game, make good decisions, and stay switched in a positional sense - I think he;'s found wanting, badly. I think Gibbs just has a much better defensive understanding.

Song - although it's by the skin of his teeth. Diaby and Denilson have their own problems and so Song just edges them. His strength and power are very useful, but his constant switching off and failure to cope with the sheer speed of our play, makes him far from ideal currently. I'd love to put Nasri or Rosicky in this position instead of Song, I just don't think it would work in the real world.

Wilshere - again a little controversial, but for my money he's been comfortably better than Denilson, Diaby or Song thus far. His passing is superb, intelligent, incisive and quick. I think in a similar way to Gibbs, what he has over the other 3 midfielders is his understanding of the game. He just seems to be positioned better than Song, and as a result he makes plenty of tackles and offers good protection.

Fabregas.

Walcott - when he plays like he has at the start of this season, he gives this team another way of hurting opponents. Needs to be all about his end product thong, if that drops, he's not doing his job properly or not being utilised properly. Either way he wouldn't warrant a place in the team over some other very good players. As good as Arshavin is, we need Walcott's threat to stretch teams.

van Persie - out wide, although I'm not sure how that would work in practice, but he absolutely has to be in the team, by hook or by crook.

Chamakh - he's just too good to be left out. Makes the team function.

Clichy, Squillaci, Nasri, Rosicky and Arshavin are all good enough for the Starting XI, and there's very little in it when choosing between them and who I've gone for.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
Regardless of the team chosen it's fair to say that we definitely have one of the strongest benches in the League if our players are fit.

Good team ricky.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Tough question.
Been a long time since I've seen an Arsenal side at full strength.

I'd go for:

--------Almunia---------

Sagna-Squib-Verms-Clichy

-----Song-----Diaby-----

Theo----Fabregas-----Arsh

----------Robin----------

Good mixture between experience and youth.
A line-up still depends a lot on form, though.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
---------------Almunia
Sagna----Koscielny---Vermaelen---Clichy
-----------Song-----Diaby
---------------Fabregas
-----Walcott-------------Arshavin
---------------Chamakh

IBL

Established Member
Glad we've finally got a bit of squad depth which makes choosing a starting 11 not so straightforward. I'm going to select with the assumption that each of the players would be performing at their best.

Al

Sagna
Kos
Vermaelen
Clichy

Song
Diaby
Cesc

Walcott
Chamakh
Arshavin

Would like to have squeezed RvP in there somewhere but for me the balance of the attack line is better with the above. Diaby was the tougher choice but when he plays in a diciplined manner and keeps things simple he can be effective.

fabo

6.51 / 10
It's pretty easy bar one or two positions.

Denilson as the 3rd CM, Robin as CF. Rest picks itself really.

Meatwad

I've already seen enough of Chelsea eating little midfielders for a snack.

Code:
---------------Almunia---------------
-------------------------------------
-------Koscielny-----Vermaelen-------
Sagna--------------------------Clichy
------------Song----Diaby------------
----------------Cesc©----------------
Walcott-----------------------Chamakh
--------------van Persie-------------

but since RVP is really just a figment of our imagination:

Code:
-------Koscielny-----Vermaelen-------
Walcott----------------------Arshavin
---------------Chamakh---------------

Rorz

Established Member
Almunia
Sagna-Koscielny-Vermaelen-Clichy
Song-Diaby
Fabregas
Walcott-Arshavin
RVP

If everyone was fit and on form, that would be my First XI. Diaby and Song is a powerful midfield, it's relatively secure at the back, and an extremely dynamic strike force with Fabregas conducting from the centre.

Such a shame this line-up only appears as often as Halley's comet.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
---------Squid-------Vermaelen-------
Walcott----------------------Arshavin
---------------Chamakh---------------

otfgoon

Established Member
Invincible said:
This is the best squad we've had since 2004-2005.

With the added bonus that most of these guys are heading into their peek rather than out of it.

Jkreffer

Established Member
I think in a couple of months time we will have a much better idea on this. I would like to see how the two new defenders settle in or if Djourou can stake any sort of claim for form/fitness.

Also we will have to see if Chamakh can keep up his early season form. He certainly looks like being more involved and suited for the role then RvP. Not to say Van Persie does a bad job, Chamakh just looks like an absolute natural.

If Walcott has turned a corner and becomes consistent it will be tough to leave him out even if more technical players (Nasri) wait in reserve.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Im loving the 4231 formation.

-----------------almunia
sagna----koscielny---vermaelen----clichy
--------------song----diaby
van persie--------cesc------------arshavin
-----------------chamakh

Im keeping my eye on Diaby this season, I really think he will come good for us.

Wilshere has really impressed me so far with his tenacity. Denilson, Wilshere and Ramsey's return to full fitness (touch wood) will really provide us with options this long season.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom