Your conclusion of the signings made

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Liberace, Jan 20, 2006.

1. kel varnsen

kel varnsen New Member Trusted

i wouldn't, but many would if the team isn't playing well.

however, that was not my real point. a big signing creates a great 'buzz' around the club. it creates optimism. so i would like to see us sign about two really big name players this summer. to show the rest of the world that arsenal is a massive club ready to challenge even the best of them.

2. Jose_Reyes_2005

Jose_Reyes_2005 New Member Trusted

I don’t get why so many people are assuming that Walcott won’t be playing with the first team this season. Going by everything that Arsène has said so far, i think he'll come off the bench in a lot of premiership games the way rvp did last season, and then gradually start some games against low profile sides. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we see him feature at some stage against madrid either. As for Diaby, i've got this feeling he's going to shock a lot of people with his performances for us. After seeing him over the summer with france i got to see a little more of him for auxerre at the beginning of the season, and the more i saw, the more i was impressed. He does not play like he's 19 at all and excluding fabregas, he's imo the most technically skilled central midfielder Arsène has ever bought.

Having said that, I’m still struggling to see what wenger see’s in Adebayor.

3. Allyboy

Allyboy New Member Elite

Not at all confident on Adebayor, but havent seen him play so am prepared to give him a chance.

Diaby and Walcott excite me though, we have no excuses about not getting that 4th CL spot now.

We need at least 2 established players in the summer though.

4. kel varnsen

i don't agree at all. i don't think neither diaby nor walcott will have a massive impact on the team this season...

5. Lord Dula

Lord Dula New Member Elite

Well I agree Ally - so that cancels out Kels opinion.

Anyoneelse wanna agree with Allyboy to make Kel the minority?

6. asajoseph

asajoseph New Member Elite

I'm actually intrigued to see Adebayor play for us, as I'm looking forward do see how he fits in to Arsène's plans. I wasn't a massive fan of the signing, but watching how Arsène tries to use him, and how he adapts to being at a big club should be fascinating.

Diaby, I think we'll probably see quite soon - after all, he's already on the bench on Saturday. Again, looking forward to seeing him, but the Premiership is always a shock for foreigners, so we'll see how long it takes him to settle.

Walcott I'm very excited about, but I think people are getting massively out of control - the hype is obscene. Quality young player, has many exceptional abilities, but even if we see him a few times this season, I'd be amazed if he makes a massive impact.

So, on one hand, I'm very interested to see these guys play, and the average level of talent is as high as the average age is low. On the other, I'm not sure they'll make the instant impact that many want. So we'll see. I suspect Wenger's done shopping now, so we'll just have to watch the new boys now!

7. Biggus

Biggus New Member Elite

I'm adopting a wait and see attitude....I have'nt seen any of them play....But lets not get carried away with the Theo hype, yes- he's young talented, black and English but very few of the U17 world cup stars ever fulfil their potential.....he's got the right mentor in Arsène and if his head is screwed on correctly he should be right......incidently I think Theos family would be insulted by people calling him "the next Wayne Rooney".

8. regele

regele New Member

So you think that Henry signing on and getting one of the hottest youngsters in England doesn't create optimism? cause it sure does for me.

9. KingReyes

KingReyes New Member Trusted

Can't complain really.

Last I checked 'established World class' players were not available in January which tends ask why Wenger didn't sign anyone last summer.

So we got something else, 3 players with potential to become top players. We'll have to wait and see if they make the grade or not but fingers crossed they do.

However looking at the opinions of other members on this forum this Adebayor guy loks like he is ****ing ****!

10. kel varnsen

rosicky is avaliable and world class.

11. pg1989

pg1989 New Member

Wenger said Walcott will be ready in a couple of weeks. I'd love him to play against Real and school Robinho.
    I have a feeling Sven might pick him for the World Cup to take the attention off himself.

12. sabret00the

sabret00the New Member Trusted

sums it up for me :shock

13. patrick42uk

patrick42uk New Member Elite

really? IMO, vieira is technically superior to fabregas. so you reckon diaby is technically better than vieira? some endorsement!

i havent seen enough of our signings to know what to think. what i do know is that it doesnt take a big name to make an impact. we see this time and time again with wenger. wenger is more about qualities of the player e.g walcott's pace and movement. of course there us also the possibility that the inexperience of these signings will show and we wouldnt therefore have done enough to secure fourth spot.

a part of me hoped for more established players to make up for the underperforming ones we have. i just think the balance is slightly wrong. underperforming senior players next to youth is a recipe for disaster IMO (see also boro) which cant be remedied by adding more youth. but then again, i didnt expect wenger to sign anyone at all so its a bonus.

with walcott, we'v got people who have never seen him play wanting to have his babies which in itself tells you how the 'monster' the press created got out of hand. the money we are paying doest help either, nor does the fact he is english.

14. Jose_Reyes_2005

Tbh i've never seen him play for togo, which is where he supposedly was scoring goals for fun. I think we're all basing our opinions based on his performances for monaco, which is where he was average at best. His touch was usually awful and his finishing was shocking. A lot of people also seem to think he's a 'powerful forward' for some reason, but unfortunately he goes down as soon as he is touched.

Perhaps we are being harsh on him, as i just recently found out that he had fallen out with the club and was very unhappy for quite some time. So hopefully his performances in france were a result of morale rather than quality.

15. Gurgen

Gurgen New Member Elite

Rosicky is a friggin pansy. Jesus.
    He would get swallowed whole playing centrally for us.

I definitely wouldn't say no to him, as he is a quality player, but Rosicky wouldn't have solved our biggest problem - central midfield.

16. Gurgen

Gurgen New Member Elite

Right here.

Especially as kel has admitted that he has never seen Diaby, yet thinks he can predict what he will do for us this season.

17. asajoseph

asajoseph New Member Elite

Whilst Vieira's technical ability is often forgotten about (many just picture him as a ball-winning thug), Jose Reyes 2005 isn't the first to make that point - in an article posted here on Arsenal.com, Chris Harris [quoting Julien Laurens] says the same thing

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When has Kel been the majority?

As long as Diaby, Walcott take their chances and become effective, that's all you can ask.

19. Jose_Reyes_2005

Well you have to keep in mind that i'm judging him based on the very little that i have seen of him. Having said that, from what i saw he just looks so good on the ball that i wouldn’t be surprised if he actually started his football in a more attacking position than central midfield, and was just moved there due to his size and strength. He just had so much quality and was so calm and composed that he honestly looked like he was 10 years older than everybody on the pitch. Although tbh for france, and against England in particular, every time he got the ball he never really was pressured and was allowed so much time on the ball – so that’s something he’s obviously not going to get in the premiership.

As for fabregas, well imo by the time he's 24 he'd be technically superior to vieira - even though you’re right that paddy is superior right now.

20. godfather

godfather New Member

OMG! just a couple of matches :eek: :eek: :eek: