• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Your ideal Arsenal formation

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo_ense

Established Member
Seeing as there has been a debate going on recently about depleted areas in our squad, and areas which just aren't performing up to expectation, it would be interesting to see what everyone's ideal formations are and how they would line up.
If someone could direct me on how to make a poll I will add one.

I would personally go 4312 or 352.

--------------------Szczesny------------------
-Sagna-Mertesacker-Vermaelen-Gibbs-
---------Diaby------Arteta----Wilshere------
---------------------Cazorla---------------------
----------Walcott-----------Podolski----------

dreamLord

Established Member
We already have a thread for this topic, <a class="postlink-local" href="https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=254492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=254492</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But anyway, mine would be a 4-4-1-1 with Cazorla and Walcott on the wings, Podolski SS and Giroud CF.

Camel

4-2-3-1, oh wait, we're playing it now. Arsenal formation is fine, most of top clubs use it. We just don't have enough quality to use it properly.

I don't understand why people here are so obsessed with outdated 4-4-2. Hello, we live in 2010s, not in 1980s with 2 forwards, one big, one quick. Only Man U use 4-4-2 and they failed miserably in CL while losing premier league to City last season.

Barcelona use 4-3-3, Real and Bayern use 4-2-3-1, all three are the best clubs in the world.

If you play with two central midfielders and two wingers, you immediately lose center of the pitch to a team with three midfielders.

leo_ense

Established Member
dreamLord said:
We already have a thread for this topic, <a class="postlink-local" href="https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=254492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=254492</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But anyway, mine would be a 4-4-1-1 with Cazorla and Walcott on the wings, Podolski SS and Giroud CF.

That thread is more about the players than formation. But I agree they are similar.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Would like to try something where we can get Podolski behind Giroud. Gives us a bigger goal threat potentially and gets the best out of Podolski hopefully too with him being closer to goal.

We need to shift things in attack, Podolski has to be in and around the box, Cazorla can do the business off the wings, lets get Poldi closer to Giroud and the goal.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Player roles is what's killing us rather than the formation.

Arsène wants to play the 4-2-3-1 but the wide forwards act like defensive wingers and have no clue how to help us in attack.

I blame the training.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
Screw it I'll add. ;)

Yes I agree, I'd be going into games a lot more confident and up beat if we had any sort of formation ending in a 2 man attack in front of goal instead of this jacked up lone striker with crap wingers were currently dishing out.

Even if we keep the same formation just to let Wenger save some face, we can exchange positions for Santi to Podolski and have a 4-4-1-1 which for Arsène's sake we'll call a 4-5-1 so he doesn't feel short changed.

People say why move Santi because he's done well at CAM but our starting striker has changed and so is the service he needs, Giroud needs crosses and balls whipped in from the side so he can get on the end of them not what Santi was doing for Gerv at CAM where he was letting him run on to through balls and out running defenders.

The goal supply quality has to come from a different angle, with Podolski behind Giroud, Giroud can also get some direct link up play, a partner to feed knockdowns to and we can actually get some use out of Podolski's lethal shots.

..... said all this in the other thread but hey ho.

dreamLord

Established Member
Camel said:
4-2-3-1, oh wait, we're playing it now. Arsenal formation is fine, most of top clubs use it. We just don't have enough quality to use it properly.

I don't understand why people here are so obsessed with outdated 4-4-2. Hello, we live in 2010s, not in 1980s with 2 forwards, one big, one quick. Only Man U use 4-4-2 and they failed miserably in CL while losing premier league to City last season.

Barcelona use 4-3-3, Real and Bayern use 4-2-3-1, all three are the best clubs in the world.

If you play with two central midfielders and two wingers, you immediately lose center of the pitch to a team with three midfielders.

What a ridiculous argument. So 4-4-2 is dead because United lost out on goal difference last season? And what has the 4-2-3-1 gotten us? 4th place?

Barcelona, Real and Bayern have forwards of vastly greater quality than us, so I don't see how you can bring them into the argument at all.

You admit yourself that we don't have the quality to use 4-2-3-1. Isn't that the whole point of shifting to another formation? :lol:

Proof

Established Member
- Szczesny -
- Sagna - Mertesacker - Vermaelen - Gibbs -
- Cazorla - Arteta - Wilshere - Gervinho -
- Podolski - Walcott

4-4-1-1 with Podolski behind Walcott.

Camel

dreamLord said:
What a ridiculous argument. So 4-4-2 is dead because United lost out on goal difference last season? And what has the 4-2-3-1 gotten us? 4th place?

Barcelona, Real and Bayern have forwards of vastly greater quality than us, so I don't see how you can bring them into the argument at all.

You admit yourself that we don't have the quality to use 4-2-3-1. Isn't that the whole point of shifting to another formation? :lol:

Ok, I'll try to be as clear as possible. No formation will make us champions, be it 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 or whatever. But 4-2-3-1 give us better chances to win than 4-4-2.

Did man U won anything last season? What did they win with a huge referee support as usual? And you conveniently forgot to mention their glorious record in CL against Basel and Benfica, or Atlethic and Ajax in EL.

What top club uses 4-4-2?

Playing 4-4-2 means we gonna be even worse, because our players not suited for that, with our wingers it will become 4-2-4. Also we would have to shift our best player Cazorla to the wing.

Bolded part is huge LOL. So Mario Gomez is top top quality now, and Higuain and Benzema are vastly superior to our forwards. :shock:

Camel

infineon said:

Yes, especially Gomez.

We also need to hire Kenny Dalglish, cause he used so much loved 4-4-2 with Liverpool last season and got great success in the league. He also won glorious league cup!

I finally understood logic of 4-4-2 apologists - so let's weaken our strongest line - with Cazorla, Wilshere, Arteta, and play with TWO "VASTLY INFERIOR"(it's not my words!) forwards, while shifting our leader Cazorla to the position where his impact will be more limited. Brilliant!

DiamondGooner

Established Member
Camel said:
What top club uses 4-4-2?

Man Utd have been winning with this since the 90's

I fkin hate this view, it's so ignorant, any system can work it's just how you go about it, Mourinho won the treble playing anti football for fks sake.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
As it's been mentioned above, we have at least one Thread here who's similar to this one, so I'll lock this one.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Camel said:

Although I prefer 4-4-2 for perhaps trivial or nostalgic reasons, I agree with this actually.
Apart from Man U I struggle to think of many clubs who go with that formation- indicating that it is out of date.

Our problems are blatantly to do with personnel, despite formations and tactics getting blasted.
The armchair managers can put as many 4-4-2 formations with cazorla on the wings and theo upfront all they like, but even if we were to try that formation I'm sure our problems will remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom