• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Your ideal transfer window in Hindsight

akhil

This thread is discuss what you would have done different in the transfer window over the last couple of seasons. We know the players that have left and the money that's come in.

We sold World class talent in Cesc and RVP no doubt. 54 Mil from them and 24 from Nasri,18 from Song. Thats 96MIL, 100 odd if you include Clichy as well.

We bought Gerv - 11Mil,OX - 12 MIL, Arteta,Per,Santos,Park - 30 MIL, Poldi - 8MIL?, Santi - 15MIL, Giroud - 12 MIL. Thats 88 MIL

Assuming you had 150 MIL to spend on transfers alone(discounting wages) over the last couple of years. The Papers say we have roughly 25 MIL each summer before exits.

Who could you buy to replace our biggest losses - Cesc & RVP?
Then we need replacements for Song, Clichy, Nasri, Arsha, and another CB.
Deadwood is still here eating up our wage bill.

Take into account players that moved to our rivals that were heavily linked to us before their respective transfers like Mata, Kagawa etc. Take into account their transfer fees as well as the time we needed the replacements
for example : Cesc replacement last summer, RVP replacement this summer.
Assume Arteta,Per, Gervinho, OX, Poldi,Santi, Santos,Giroud aren't in the transfers.

How would you go about doing your transfers?

coopsollini

This is like a wish list...Wenger always says he would like to sign Messi, I'd agree he'd be ok.

I would have bought both Podolski and Cazorla one year earlier. Cazorla would have then slotted in as a direct replacement for Fabregas and Podolski plus Van Persie up front could have formed a superb duo. Arteta, OX and Giroud and Per have all been good purchases good quality squad players, so their purchases were all good ones.

I would have really liked a top quality winger, plus a hardman (at least on the bench to bring on to mix things up) imagine a team as:

Szensny

Sagna - Verm - Per - Gibbs

Walcott - De Jong - Cazorla - Robben

Podolski - Van Persie

Subs: Giroud, Arteta, Wilshere, Song, Kos, OX

...that not too far away from what could have been possible and loads of potential to rotate with quality on the bench.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Your numbers are off, we didn't spend that much and we don't have the imaginary transfer budget that's talked about.

That been said, buy Mata, Cazorla and Cabaye in summer 2011 and maybe Ba on a free. Still buy Arteta, Chamberlain and Mertesacker. Don't buy Gervinho/Park/Santos. Net total around 60-65million so I've cheated a bit but I'd counter that by spending less in 11/12. I've also left a glaring gap at LB

In Summer 2012 I'd go for Michu for 2m obviously, probably not get Giroud as a result. I'm not sure that's a good move actually even though Michu started better. I'd still get Podolski, maybe look at Dembele and Vertonghen

Fantasy stuff

dpt49

Established Member
There are several things Wenger could, and should, have done in previous transfer windows.
1. Not sell our top players
2. Buy other top players to play alongside those players
3. Not buy players from inferior leagues
4. Rather than buying several average players buy one or two world class one's
5. If we are going to sell our best players, spend every single penny we receive on adequate replacements
6. The most important thing to do in transfer windows is, when we need a certain player in a certain position, buy the best player we can afford from either the PL or at least a comparable league. Going from RVP to Groud is simply not acceptable.
The reason so many of our top players have left is because we don't buy any.
Every single top player that has left us has said, before and after they have left, that they are fed up with our transfer policy.
So it's hardly surprising they all leave and join clubs who do have top players.

The way we have behaved in the transfer market in the last few seasons is disgraceful for a club who boasts how rich we are and insists "we are doing it the right way."

If this is the right way, I'm fed up with it.

There is not another top club that behaves in such a tight fisted way as we do and I can't believe there are still supporters out there who tolerate it.

akhil

Erm, thread isn't a too much of an opinion/debate thread. How would you have bought players knowing the players who left?

akhil

coopsollini said:
This is like a wish list...Wenger always says he would like to sign Messi, I'd agree he'd be ok.

I would have bought both Podolski and Cazorla one year earlier. Cazorla would have then slotted in as a direct replacement for Fabregas and Podolski plus Van Persie up front could have formed a superb duo. Arteta, OX and Giroud and Per have all been good purchases good quality squad players, so their purchases were all good ones.

I would have really liked a top quality winger, plus a hardman (at least on the bench to bring on to mix things up) imagine a team as:

Szensny

Sagna - Verm - Per - Gibbs

Walcott - De Jong - Cazorla - Robben

Podolski - Van Persie

Subs: Giroud, Arteta, Wilshere, Song, Kos, OX

...that not too far away from what could have been possible and loads of potential to rotate with quality on the bench.

Cazorla went to Malaga last summer for 19 MIL. We were apparently out bid so you couldn't have gotten him that summer. Gibb's was injured most of last season , so you don't have a leftback. We did buy Santos as an emergency.

monkus

Just to force a bit of positivity, looks like 'Wenger knew' on Nuri Sahin. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20984245

But basically hindsight seems to make this whole thread trivial. Isn't it just a game of 'name all the players who turned out great who we didn't buy, even though at the time it was nigh-impossible to know whether they'd be a success or not'.

And Mata would be an obvious one, but we did try to buy him. And had we got him we wouldn't have Cazorla.

akhil

ArsenesNO1Fan said:
Your numbers are off, we didn't spend that much and we don't have the imaginary transfer budget that's talked about.

That been said, buy Mata, Cazorla and Cabaye in summer 2011 and maybe Ba on a free. Still buy Arteta, Chamberlain and Mertesacker. Don't buy Gervinho/Park/Santos. Net total around 60-65million so I've cheated a bit but I'd counter that by spending less in 11/12. I've also left a glaring gap at LB

In Summer 2012 I'd go for Michu for 2m obviously, probably not get Giroud as a result. I'm not sure that's a good move actually even though Michu started better. I'd still get Podolski, maybe look at Dembele and Vertonghen

Fantasy stuff

Ok, no transfer budget, spend what we make.
We got outbid for Mata and Cazorla, 24 Mil and 19 Mil were their respective transfers that summer.
Mata, Cazorla, Cabaye, Arteta in one summer? 4 additional players for 2 slots without an proper winger/wide forward.

Dembele started playing in midfield in the 2nd half of that season for Fulham.
Michu cannot count, nobody knew about him and he was a midfielder previously. Only Laudrup played him upfront where he's been very good.

Verthongen is a good shout at LB but again wasn't he primarily a CB at Ajax.

akhil

monkus said:
Just to force a bit of positivity, looks like 'Wenger knew' on Nuri Sahin. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20984245

But basically hindsight seems to make this whole thread trivial. Isn't it just a game of 'name all the players who turned out great who we didn't buy, even though at the time it was nigh-impossible to know whether they'd be a success or not'.

And Mata would be an obvious one, but we did try to buy him. And had we got him we wouldn't have Cazorla.

Look at it the other way as well, duds we could've avoided buying. But need to get squad together within budget.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Use the money from transfers like Gervinho and Park to keep Cesc and RVP big pay raises. We'd probably have won the league last season, and be top this season if that had happened.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

There is only here and now. No use in discussing what could have been, in my opinion.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Our biggest mistake was losing Cesc and Nasri in the same summer and thinking that buying Arteta plus relying on Ramsey, Yossi and Rosicky could adequately replace their creativity.

In hindsight we should have gone all out to sign Cazorla or Mata that year.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
akhil said:
ArsenesNO1Fan said:

Fantasy stuff

Ok, no transfer budget, spend what we make.
We got outbid for Mata and Cazorla, 24 Mil and 19 Mil were their respective transfers that summer.
Mata, Cazorla, Cabaye, Arteta in one summer? 4 additional players for 2 slots without an proper winger/wide forward.

Dembele started playing in midfield in the 2nd half of that season for Fulham.
Michu cannot count, nobody knew about him and he was a midfielder previously. Only Laudrup played him upfront where he's been very good.

Verthongen is a good shout at LB but again wasn't he primarily a CB at Ajax.

Well Mata or Cazorla could/can play out wide, so I'd look to have them both in the same team. I'd put a higher priority on putting all our eggs in getting them so we didn't get outbid. Maybe not possible as I've overspent on budget weighting it against a future budget, something the board may have never sanctioned

The slots issue, I've dropped 3 signings to bring in 3 signings in summer 2011

Michu had pretty good stats in La Liga all things considered

Yes it is Captain Hindsight stuff, at the time Gervinho was red hot in Ligue 1 outperforming Hazard stats wise and looked like a good signing. Now the Captain Hindsight crew think Wenger was an idiot for signing him. When he first came allot of people were happy with his direct play and said it brought more to the team than Nasri, deflecting a loss? I'm not sure but I think he's underrated a little

I'll also admit it's fantasy stuff and it really shows how much we're playing second fiddle losing out on Mata, Hazard and Cazorla

Anzac

Established Member
Perhaps a different approach regarding our strategies rather than looking at individual players.

We have reportedly generated profits from player trading every season since 2007. This means that we don't use any budget & our activities end up being entirely self funded AND we raise profits.

If our opening budget was no more than 20m then since 2007 we've NOT spent at least 100m IN ADDITION to generating profits each season,
meaning a combined 'savings' of about 150m over 5 years,
and we still haven't shifted our dross despite their reduced status these past 2 seasons.

My approach would be to see us spending the money available - perhaps not every year, but certainly on a regular basis.

jerome2158

Established Member
I wish we'd never gotten rid of Hleb and Flamini.

Not because I think they'd have been saviours and led this club to glory, but because they were the first signs of us bowing to players wanting to leave at first sight of a possibly better opportunity.

Maybe it still would have happened the way it has with Ade, Nasri, Fabregas and RVP, but it just seems like hleb and flamini were the first who hit form with us, and used that to move on.

(I also blame Ashley Cole a bit, but to a lesser degree. He was in it for the money and it was Arsenal's fault at the time, but looking back there's no way we could have held off chelsea forever.)

evoh_1

Established Member
summer 2012

keep van persie even for a year if you can't get him to sign

bring in dembele get rid of song still

bring in llorente instead of giroud for the extra outlay

get rid of santos and bring in a left footer from the north bank if needed for games

get cazorla in

sell gervinho and bring back eboue on lower wages

Latest posts

Top Bottom