• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Your Vision

sabret00the

Established Member
do you have a vision for a our team? for our style of play? if so what is it?

please note, this isn't about debating the strengths of weaknesses of said listed styles of play, though feel free to discuss, it's just something i'm curious about. do people tend to have something they want to see or are the majority of fans very go with the flow, what they see on the day will do as long as it's a win.

Biggus

Established Member
Good Topic Sabre....the obvious ones tend to be overlooked amongst the "should Cesc play on the right in a 4-1-3-1-1 etc" :roll:

On the admin side obviously I am delighted with what the club has achieved after 10 years under Arsène. But of course the holy grail of a CL title remains unfound. This is the only question mark around whether we are one of the all time great clubs. As far as playing style is concerned....I remain sceptical whether wengerball can ever do it or not and I am not married to the concept that we must play "the beautiful game".

What ever it takes to win the CL is good enough for me. :wink:

PS There is a problem....I moved this to Arsenal talk but it ended up here....could someone please move it.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
The great Chairman Mao once came up with a brilliant policy named 3 mores and 3 lesses. Didn't really achieve it's goals & got a few million people killed, but still a great idea.

That's my vision for us too: 3 mores and 3 lesses.

MORE:
1. Strikers
2. Vigour
3. Set pieces practise

LESS:
1. Weaving / indirectness
2. Waiting with substitutions
3. Silence in the stadium

edit: shouldn't this be in Arsenal Talk?

kel varnsen

Established Member
i want to see even better movement off the ball and more one-touch football, or at least as few touches as possible on the ball. furthermore, i'd like us to stick to a 'short passing' game, all the while we have a very 'direct' approach to it. lots of players going forward and just completely overwhelm the other team...

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i just dont want to see the return of the boring boring Arsenal tag... sure they were successful with it for a period of time, but since the English game has changed and added more of a European feel, those days should never return... we, as fans, have become accustomed to more flowing football...maybe we are spoiled now, but all the same, i would (as many would) much prefer to watch fast, free football...

also, i wish we would stop adding youngsters in the first team for now... we have a fairly young squad (other than Jens & Bert & Henry)... we have players waiting to come in for those positions (except the keeper) who could do the job...let the players we have gel so that we can have a strong team for YEARS to come, not just a couple seasons... we had a good 4-5 years of top of the table football with the French connection & Bergy & Co.. This squad has the potential to emulate that....

wow, that last paragraph was a complete ramble... ugh

adam79

I think it would be great if Arsenal could get more recognition for the contribution of exciting young players we have made to the english game. I think we get overlooked compared to other top sides purely because we don't develop as many english players as some people think we should.

In terms of style of football, the 2004 Champions team was pretty close to being my idea of perfection. Incredibly strong at the back soaking up pressure and then releasing it in the form of a destructive counter attack like a tidal wave of Arsenal players invading the opposition half. That has so far been my peak as an Arsenal fan, I hope to god that that isn't the peak of my Arsenal career. The dream is obviously the CL. But the secret dream in the back of my mind is the treble, but it's a lot to ask!

LostAndFound

I think I differ a bit from the norm here....

I'd like Arsenal to play attractive football. Preferably with a lot of honours to go with it, but if we end up losing the odd game to the Boltons and Blackburns of the EPL, its a fair price to pay I think. By attractive football I do mean the passing being in a general forwardly direction, but not necessarily in the 'blink and you'll miss it' Vieira style. Something like Argentina's world-cup goal replicated about once a game would do fine.

As someone said previously, never a return to 'Boring, boring Arsenal' please.

Minor second vision, to continue to develop young players. If Clichy has to leave at 23 because Traore is almost as good at him and much younger, so be it. The excitement of new talent emerging a la Cesc is worth it, IMO. I'm of the opinion that Henry leaving last season, while bad, wouldn't have been the disaster some here were implying, especially since it would have meant that Adebayor would have been the solo striker for 4-5-1....

Oh, nevermind, no formation talk here =)

_scorpion_

Established Member
A team so good at keeping the ball, finding space and moving up the pitch (with and without the ball - eventually finding the net) that everyone forgets the system we play.

Asterix

Established Member
vanderguy said:
Asterix said:
Something like the Double winning team of 0102 would do me.

0102 :shock:

2001 / 2002. Surely you've seen Arsène Wenger's Magic Hat? We played some stunning footbal that season. I want us to play like that again. And again.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Our double winning sides were quick, direct and stunning on the counter attacks . I also remember that they lacked the ability to hold on to the ball for longer periods .
Nowadays we can hold onto the ball for long periods but are not direct . However I think we have the ability to balance both discipline with the current squad.

What I would like is our team able to hold on to the ball and suddenly switch tempo when there is an opening.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
the opening of the 04/05 season where reyes free scoring. thats one of the best arsenal i have ever seen. free flowing football, ability to score from anywhere. thats what i want.

but for now, i feel we need to buy a clinical striker and i want Klas Jan Huntelaar. i would also buy ribery and bale to add the our depth. then finally, i would secure a first option on akinfeev.

Mark

Established Member
What I want is for us to stop underachieving. I always feel we couldve done so much better, retaining some titles, and going further in the Champions League. I want us to keep playing the football we do, but get that little extra bit of luck we deserve and get the success we are so capable of.

hujja

Established Member
I want to see us back to our slick beautiful best. But I also want us to try alternatives when the tactics don't work. I would like to see us score more long range goals and set pieces. I firmly believe that we can win a trophy if not a bunch of trophies this season or next or whenever we get ourselves sorted out.

Sammer

Established Member
I want our fans to give this brilliant young team time to develop instead of (if true) booing it at half time at at crucial CL game.

I would like to see no more games at the Emirates with empty seats at kick off and 5 minutes before the end of the match.

Dennis10

Like others have said: I would love the atmosphere at Ashburton to be boiling in every game. I don't go there more than once a year, but even when I watch games at TV it's magical when you clearly can hear which names they're chanting.

My other wish is that we manage to get at least one player to seriously help Henry getting our goals. Our present midfielders, perhaps except an in-form-Rosicky, haven't proven dangerous enough. Fingers crossed for RvP up front i the future.

gunnerGH

Established Member
Id like to see a more direct way of playing. This would involve a 4-4-2 when attacking then a 4-5-1 when defending.

This means more trying to beat players and get a shot away rather than walking the ball into the net. Dont get me wrong I like our passing game but when we dont score at home this makes our library crowd very nervy.

Id like hleb right, walcott left with bert and cesc in the middle.

Toure should take all long range free kicks with players running in incase the goalie spills it. He has a beast of a shot.

Id like ribery aswell. But thats dreaming.

And thats all i want. Im not greedy. ;)

Alfonso

Established Member
I have a dream....that one day Arsenal will learn how to cope with physical sides(hopefully starting this sat against poor man's Celtic :) ).

Sammer

Established Member
Alfonso said:
I have a dream....that one day Arsenal will learn how to cope with physical sides(hopefully starting this sat against poor man's Celtic :) ).

Alfonso,

you are referring to the 05/06 season. We have no problems any more coping with phyiscal sides - that problem was last season, where our midfield got overrun (thanks Freddie & LeBob).

Our current problems are:

- conceding stupid goals, while dominating the game (preferrably from set pieces)

- not being clinical enough

- not believing in our strength to come back once we are down.

Other than that, I feel we can destroy every team on a good day with the current (fit) squad.

Top Bottom