• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanB

For the role Xhaka is playing for us in the current team/formation I would rather have Paqueta. But for a deep lying playmaker role I would have Tielemans.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Could the cynic in me think we could see movement in this this week with the added bonus of unsettling Leicester before our game next week.
On the other hand maybe we made an agreement with LCFC to wait until after our game to sign him? The lack of talk about him from anyone is surprising.

Legend14

Established Member
He was… that said there were a few times yesterday where I could say that if it was Tielemans there instead of Xhaka then Jesus may have scored 1 or 2.

Jesus was up for give and go on a few occasions where we could have stretched Palace and Xhaka simply just cut inside and played a sideways pass, I don’t see someone like Tielemans doing that.

Even if you don’t want to replace Xhaka with Tielemans could easily replace Ødegaard with Tielemans when Ødegaard is struggling like yesterday.

I get we do have Vieira to do that but it’s doubtful to me that Vieira will be able to offer the impact Tielemans will being so new to the league.
It just doesn’t seem likely for either player to be replaced by Tielemans. Tielemans doesn’t do what Xhaka does, so Arteta would need to change strategy to replace Xhaka.

Tielemans is better than Ødegaard, so that replacement is logical, but if that was going to happen, Ødegaard would not have been made Captain.

I don’t see where Tieleman fits in Arteta’s strategy.

Legend14

Established Member
You have players like Paqueta, Pedri, Bellingham or more recently Reus playing that role not Xhaka lol! It's the more stupid thing a I have seen since Emery tried using Torreira as 10. Sometimes managers are so stupid using players out of position. Xhaka is not Ramsey to play that role.
Xhaka is definitely not an attacking player, but Arteta is using him for everything else and considers the attack part extra. Ødegaard is supposed to be the attacker.

I don’t know who could cover for Xhaka’s role as Arteta sees it and do it so significantly better that its worth the change in chemistry that will occur when you sit Xhaka.

One of our 8s must be a real attacking threat, and neither are. Arteta has painted himself into a corner.

bakaboo

For the role Xhaka is playing for us in the current team/formation I would rather have Paqueta. But for a deep lying playmaker role I would have Tielemans.
Yes I agree with u. Current Xhaka role is a role that requires multi stats such as good stamina, athleticism, position sense, passing etc.

Using Crystal Palace match, u can see Xhaka in fwd position when Ziny in inverted Full back position. When Ziny in wing/WB position, u can see Xhaka ready to run back to cover Ziny LB empty space.

blrgooner

Established Member
I think what we are missing in the midfield is a player who can control the tempo of the game. Someone who is strong technically, has positional awareness to understand where one should be to receive the ball and an awareness of other players in the pitch. Tielemans may not be the best option from that point of view but among the players linked with us, he seems to be the best option. The only other option is benaceer but not sure how good he is at this point of time.
I think we are quite weak in terms of this right now and really need to upgrade though.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Just don't get why this hasn't happened yet if it was going to

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Don't forget Matheus Nunes. He can be the right profile

He is the player on my wishlist to be honest, especially as a #6.

Tielemans for me is very similar to Xhaka. Able to bring in some differences yes, but ultimately doesnt move the needle enough to take us up a level. Great for depth yes, but it keeps us competing with packed average setups like Tottenham.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He is the player on my wishlist to be honest, especially as a #6.

Tielemans for me is very similar to Xhaka. Able to bring in some differences yes, but ultimately doesnt move the needle enough to take us up a level. Great for depth yes, but it keeps us competing with packed average setups like Tottenham.

We are going to struggle vs physical teams with pace and power in midfield.

City were able to hide Zinchekos defensive flaws far more effectively than we can as they have superior technical players, especially in midfield.

We need to really invest in someone who is technical but also physical.

Yes Tielemans is adapted to the Premier league and yes he has high ball recoveries, but that is within a system where Leicester play a counter attacking style.

If you get past Tielemans, he isn't catching you. He also similar to Partey. Partey is able to turn away from pressure and beat the press quite a lot during the game. However, there is always that one time in a game where he doesn't check his shoulders or he plays a pass blind, or simply gives it away. It happens every match. Xhaka is the same. 95% pass completion is pointless if that 5 per cent is just giving the ball away in dangerous areas.

Matheus Nunes is 6 ft tall and FAST. That alone means he is on a level playing field with the most physical midfielders in the league. He could go toe to toe with someone like Fabinho and come out on top.

blrgooner

Established Member

City were able to hide Zinchekos defensive flaws far more effectively than we can as they have superior technical players, especially in midfield.

Yes Tielemans is adapted to the Premier league and yes he has high ball recoveries, but that is within a system where Leicester play a counter attacking style.

If you get past Tielemans, he isn't catching you. He also similar to Partey. Partey is able to turn away from pressure and beat the press quite a lot during the game. However, there is always that one time in a game where he doesn't check his shoulders or he plays a pass blind, or simply gives it away. It happens every match. Xhaka is the same. 95% pass completion is pointless if that 5 per cent is just giving the ball away in dangerous areas.

Matheus Nunes is 6 ft tall and FAST. That alone means he is on a level playing field with the most physical midfielders in the league. He could go toe to toe with someone like Fabinho and come out on top.
He seems to be a good prospect to improve on Xhakas current position, which will improve us. I still think what we need is more of a Modric. I wouldn't care if the player is not physically strong. It's game intelligence that is most important for me. No of touches Partey has in a game is similar to that of attacking midfielders actually. We need a player who could help us keep possession better more than anything else imo.

D

Deleted member 102404

Agreed. Tielemans is slow and careless at times. Partey the same. Both are cause for concern as both expose their defences pretty much every have through their mistakes. Xhaka the same when playing deeper.
Every player makes mistakes, but when it’s too often it really hurts at this level.

ArsenalInMyHeart

This is your brain on ITK addiction

Matheus Nunes or Paqueta will upgrade our midfield

StefanB

Matheus Nunes or Paqueta will upgrade our midfield

With Nunes he can play the role Xhaka plays or you can push Partey further up as the Xhaka replacement. Paqueta is more of a like for like replacement for the role Xhaka plays.

I'd love either of them. I also think Tielemans is a quality player, but I cannot see him playing the role Xhaka plays in the team. He would have to play deeper in a double pivot.

ArsenalInMyHeart

This is your brain on ITK addiction
With Nunes he can play the role Xhaka plays or you can push Partey further up as the Xhaka replacement. Paqueta is more of a like for like replacement for the role Xhaka plays.

I'd love either of them. I also think Tielemans is a quality player, but I cannot see him playing the role Xhaka plays in the team. He would have to play deeper in a double pivot.
For me Tielemans is similar than Cazorla, he needs someone who can protect him.
Nunes or Paqueta, they are strong, fast and good at defensive

Bloodbather

Established Member

If we're gonna sign another CM, I'd rather it be a versatile type that can play as an advanced 8 in a 4-3-3, as part of a double pivot in 4-2-3-1, and even as a deep lying playmaker #6 from time to time. Matheus Nunes and Maxence Caqueret fit this profile, Tielemans almost does but not quite because he isn't dynamic enough. Caqueret probably isn't leaving Lyon, so I'd try hard for Nunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom