• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Youre blinded by stats, bud. Tielemans is awful defensively, truly awful. On his day, a very impressive player, off his game, a complete passenger. Has far too many long periods of poor form. If he could sustain the good form, he would be at City, Madrid or one of the other moneybags clubs. He has served his purpose well at Leicester, and we wont foerget the cup final goal, so has payed his transfer fee back. However, if you want him, and will pay a fee of any description for the remainder of his contract, fill yer boots.
Yes we wouldn’t get him for 35 million then but he is a big upgrade on Xhaka both defensively and offensively. The numbers are there for you to look at, neither guy is the second coming of Kante or Makele but Xhaka has some of the worst stats of anyone starting in this league defensively. I am not blinded by just raw data, I watched the guy play for 6 years with great discomfort. It is why no one in this league will pay half of the money they would pay for Tielemans for Xhaka. Let me ask you question can you name a starting central midfielder for a top 10 team that could be bought as cheaply as Xhaka?

TornadoTed

Established Member
Yes we wouldn’t get him for 35 million then but he is a big upgrade on Xhaka both defensively and offensively. The numbers are there for you to look at, neither guy is the second coming of Kante or Makele but Xhaka has some of the worst stats of anyone starting in this league defensively. I am not blinded by just raw data, I watched the guy play for 6 years with great discomfort. It is why no one in this league will pay half of the money they would pay for Tielemans for Xhaka. Let me ask you question can you name a starting central midfielder for a top 10 team that could be bought as cheaply as Xhaka?
No way is this guy better than Xhaka defensively, I don't care what the stats say. He plays with a pure number 6 in Ndidi and 3 central defenders behind him at Leicester so gets way, way more defensive protection than he ever would here.

I have a good friend who is a Leicester season ticket holder and he has exactly the same opinion as the Leicester poster above. He is awful defensively, doesn't work hard enough and my mate thinks they already have a far superior replacement in Dewsbury-Hall.

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
I've seen Tielemans coming through the ranks of RSCA, and he was never the best defensively. Xhaka is clearly better in that regard. He needs someone to watch his back. At RSCA it was Dendoncker most of the times and with Leicester he has Ndidi most of the times to watch his back. In the Belgian national team he is usually set up in a more defensive role, and he really doesn't play that well.

We buy him for a defensive partner to Partey, I don't really see him succeed. But we buy him as a true nr 8, who will dictate the game for us with Partey covering his back we got a quality player on our hands.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The only way he works, is if we play a 4-3-3.

But Arteta has always struggled to get this formation working correctly, while Ødegaard has always struggled when asked to play a bit deeper.

Partey will be left al on his own in the middle again if we play Martin and Youri with him, would be a step back.

Neves would be a better choice in that regard, but even then he has only ever played with a back 5 behind him, so that would be a bit of a risk too.

No way is this guy better than Xhaka defensively, I don't care what the stats say. He plays with a pure number 6 in Ndidi and 3 central defenders behind him at Leicester so gets way, way more defensive protection than he ever would here.

I have a good friend who is a Leicester season ticket holder and he has exactly the same opinion as the Leicester poster above. He is awful defensively, doesn't work hard enough and my mate thinks they already have a far superior replacement in Dewsbury-Hall.
Rodgers rarely plays 3 centre backs. He’s right, Dewsbur-Hall is superb.

Goonger

I'm interested to see if Arteta can mould Partey, Tielemans & Ødegaard into a functioning midfield 3. It obviously lacks a bit of dynamism & athleticism, but then I think of Real, who have had probably the iconic midfield 3 of the last 5 years or so in Casimero, Kroos & Modric, and they make it work.

What's interesting is Tielemans has been linked as a potential Kroos replacement, & Ødegaard was obviously ear marked for a role in their midfield 3 at some point as well.

Parteys form & fitness would obviously be key here, that's probably the big gamble.

Tom349

My main concern with Tielemans is how does operate on the left which is where he would effectively be replacing Xhaka. From what I've seen he prefers to operate on the right and most of his goals contributions come from there.

Unless the plan is for him and Ødegaard to swap sides throughout the game but in that case Ødegaard hasn't come across to the left throughout this season which suggest he doesn't like to operate in that area of the pitch.

The concerns defensively and athletically are valid but are vastly exaggerated while his strengths would add to the side overall. Would be in the bigger games where his weaknesses might become more apparent.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Yes this even will happen without CL football imo. But He look desperate to play in it he was so down with Leicester miss out last season.

Farzad Stoned

Xhaka is worse, does Tilekemans lead the league in red cards, penalties and bad giveaways leading to to goals like Xhaka? That doesn’t count against Xhaka’s already abysmal defensive numbers? Xhaka is terrible defensively, teams play through us without Partey like a knife through butter no clean sheets in 7 without him. Wenger said he was stunned when he bought Xhaka at 23 and he couldn’t tackle, Xhaka and Mustafi were the two players that made lose faith in Wenger.

Farzad Stoned

I've seen Tielemans coming through the ranks of RSCA, and he was never the best defensively. Xhaka is clearly better in that regard. He needs someone to watch his back. At RSCA it was Dendoncker most of the times and with Leicester he has Ndidi most of the times to watch his back. In the Belgian national team he is usually set up in a more defensive role, and he really doesn't play that well.

We buy him for a defensive partner to Partey, I don't really see him succeed. But we buy him as a true nr 8, who will dictate the game for us with Partey covering his back we got a quality player on our hands.
Clearly better except he can’t defend without leading the leagues in reds, bad giveaways for goals, and penalty kicks. Xhaka is terrible defensively his numbers are championship level. Plus his inability to handle pressure makes Xhaka the player everyone keys their press on. Sorry I am not going to ignore all the numbers that show Xhaka to be terrible defensively, among worst starting midfielders in the division frankly because he tries so hard.

Farzad Stoned

Of course we won’t buy him as a defensive midfielder I got a news flash Xhaka for 6 years at Arsenal has shown he isn’t a defensive midfielder either . The best he ever plays is in an more advanced role.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Defensively have my doubts about him. Seems like he’s carrying an extra few kilos each time I’ve seen him play too.

Again, we can’t really afford to make a mistake with how much Leicester want for him

TornadoTed

Established Member
I think I will be a little bit disappointed with anyone other than Tchouameni to be honest.

The recruitment team earnt a lot of trust last Summer so if they deem Tielemans the one to get I will back him despite my massive reservations.

MauveGunner

Clearly better except he can’t defend without leading the leagues in reds, bad giveaways for goals, and penalty kicks. Xhaka is terrible defensively his numbers are championship level. Plus his inability to handle pressure makes Xhaka the player everyone keys their press on. Sorry I am not going to ignore all the numbers that show Xhaka to be terrible defensively, among worst starting midfielders in the division frankly because he tries so hard.

Of course we won’t buy him as a defensive midfielder I got a news flash Xhaka for 6 years at Arsenal has shown he isn’t a defensive midfielder either . The best he ever plays is in an more advanced role.
It's also pretty obvious that Xhaka isn't suited for a defensive role, but he's given instructions to play like one. If we get Tielemans, we're getting him as a replacement for Xhaka. But without someone to watch his back he'll also give away stupid goals like Xhaka does.

Farzad Stoned

It's also pretty obvious that Xhaka isn't suited for a defensive role, but he's given instructions to play like one. If we get Tielemans, we're getting him as a replacement for Xhaka. But without someone to watch his back he'll also give away stupid goals like Xhaka does.
Xhaka is championship level defensively when you look at his numbers take his passing range out and he would literally not be a top flight player by his numbers his defensive numbers are so bad. So this defensive superiority of Xhaka you presume is actually his biggest weakness. Granit is a committed pro and I am sure a lovely person and teammate, Tielemans is a clear and massive upgrade on him.

MauveGunner

Xhaka is championship level defensively when you look at his numbers take his passing range out and he would literally not be a top flight player by his numbers his defensive numbers are so bad. So this defensive superiority of Xhaka you presume is actually his biggest weakness. Granit is a committed pro and I am sure a lovely person and teammate, Tielemans is a clear and massive upgrade on him.
I never said Xhaka is defensively superior lol, just that he's better. Massive difference.

We'll see. But I've seen enough of him to know that he isn't that he'll struggle with his defensive tasks. Belgian national team proves it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom