• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I fully understand that City have better players and have done for a while. So their on the ball work is something that is very difficult to replicate.

However, winning the ball back is something that isn't reliant on pure physicality. For example, to play a high line, you need players who are comfortable on the half way line. They don't need to be lightening. They need to feel confident in reading the game with space behind them.

City were able to win the ball Back consistently and foul in a smart manner, with Aguero as a 9, flanked by attacking wide players. They had a diminutive 8 in Silva and De Bruyne. De bruyne is quite athletic, but he isn't the best tackler and he isn't someone who is going to recover and win the ball Back repeatedly. They took up Double 10 positions with inverted full backs.

Fernandinho and Walker provided the physicality. Its all about distances and coaching.

Tielemans isn't Bissouma, but he isn't Xhaka. He bites into tackles, he can turn and move when defending and he recovers the ball. He can easily fall into a double pivot next to Partey.

Technicality is important.
I don't disagree, but City have players with decent acceleration to be able to make up those short distances. Of the midfielders we have, I can't think of any outside of Partey who actually do have that specific attribute to make up for a lack of top speed or power. Maybe Torreira? He's not fast however he has good acceleration but he's not coming back. We're kinda saying the same thing tbh, mitigating that problem will be about making the pitch more compact - I could see it working if we're capable of doing that consistently for 90 mins. A lot will rest on the backline aswell as they'll have to push up consistently. You can see elements of this over the course of the season just gone but we were unable to maintain consistency, partially due to injuries.

We might not need to have physical monsters or the like in midfield to win the ball back - but it would be nice to have the option.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Lokonga is a Belgian international and was captain of Anderlecht. Unless we buy a plethora of midfielders, there is absolutely no merit to sending him on loan to the Championship. Most young players arriving in a new league require adaptation time. The manager seems to have realised that he shouldn't play him at number 6 with ESR & MO ahead of him, so that will help. He is a number 8, and its no coincidence that his best performances have been covering for Xhaka with Partey in the team. With EL, he'll get plenty of games in a bigger role, and I have every faith that he'll feature a lot more by the second half of next season.
He can be the Queen of Belgium but I don't care. If he doesn't have the level to play as sub for Arsenal he needs to be loaned. Boy doesn't even have the physique to compete. You talk like Belgium ligue were any good.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
It's interesting how close the stats can be and how much the percentile is effected. Tielemans isn't a defensive midfielder, but the stats basically show that he makes 1 less interception, 1 less tackle, 1 less pressure, per game than Bissouma, 1 less block and he wins more headers...
Noticed that as well

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Tielemans balling out again.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Yes just got an assist he been very good with his national team in these useless games.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

This is some performance. Really enjoying it.

blrgooner

Established Member
I fully understand that City have better players and have done for a while. So their on the ball work is something that is very difficult to replicate.

However, winning the ball back is something that isn't reliant on pure physicality. For example, to play a high line, you need players who are comfortable on the half way line. They don't need to be lightening. They need to feel confident in reading the game with space behind them.

City were able to win the ball Back consistently and foul in a smart manner, with Aguero as a 9, flanked by attacking wide players. They had a diminutive 8 in Silva and De Bruyne. De bruyne is quite athletic, but he isn't the best tackler and he isn't someone who is going to recover and win the ball Back repeatedly. They took up Double 10 positions with inverted full backs.

Fernandinho and Walker provided the physicality. Its all about distances and coaching.

Tielemans isn't Bissouma, but he isn't Xhaka. He bites into tackles, he can turn and move when defending and he recovers the ball. He can easily fall into a double pivot next to Partey.

Technicality is important.
I think the best team i have ever seen in terms of winning the ball back was Barca under pep and they didn't have any physically strong player. Technical level and positional awareness along with right tactics is what helps teams recover and keep the ball and not necessarily only pure physicality(though physicality helps at times)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom