• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Those defensive stats are dire, though.

We should really stop posting those stats unless they’re actually credible. He plays as a third midfielder for them so his defensive stats are already going to suffer.

I believe that he’ll improve us but the issue for me is that he’ll look to play in the same areas as Ødegaard who’s more of a deeper lying 10.

It’s the issue Utd have had in trying to integrate Bruno with Pogba. One of them will have to give something up.

For me the most important position if we finish top 4 and plan to push for a title is upgrading or at the very least replacing Xhaka.

TornadoTed

Established Member
His defensive deficiencies and he has lots of them aren't necessarily a problem for Leicester as they have Ndidi who is a pure 6 and covers a lot of ground.

We don't have that profile of player though so signing him makes no sense to me, changing formation or needing to sign another player to make up for his weaknesses seems ridiculous. And then what happens to Partey if we sign a pure 6 with one of Ode and ESR filling in the most advanced midfield role?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If we're in Europe next season, we are going to need more creative players, you can't just rely on Ødegaard and ESR (not that ESR is even that creative). We've been crying out for a a creative box to box type since Ramsey left. Sign him and a Xhaka replacement and the midfield would be in decent shape.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
If we're in Europe next season, we are going to need more creative players, you can't just rely on Ødegaard and ESR (not that ESR is even that creative). We've been crying out for a a creative box to box type since Ramsey left. Sign him and a Xhaka replacement and the midfield would be in decent shape.
Exactly, it's about options. Who do you bring on to change a game when we're behind? A CM option to dominate lower teams earlier in Europe and cup competitions or the bottom 8 PL teams? Creative cover for Ødegaard if he gets injured or loses form?

I also think that despite the "two attacking 8's" experiment really not working so far this season, there's a good chance that one or both of Ode and ESR will develop that side of their game and Tielemans would be the perfect compliment alongside them.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
We should really stop posting those stats unless they’re actually credible. He plays as a third midfielder for them so his defensive stats are already going to suffer.

I believe that he’ll improve us but the issue for me is that he’ll look to play in the same areas as Ødegaard who’s more of a deeper lying 10.

It’s the issue Utd have had in trying to integrate Bruno with Pogba. One of them will have to give something up.

For me the most important position if we finish top 4 and plan to push for a title is upgrading or at the very least replacing Xhaka.

You reckon Tielemans and Ødegaard could work like Kroos and Modric if they had a Casemiro behind them?

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

You reckon Tielemans and Ødegaard could work like Kroos and Modric if they had a Casemiro behind them?
I don’t think they would. Atleast not consistently. I don’t mind him as we need another midfielder if we go to Europe next season. We could do with another creative midfielder as well. But I think half of the time it will be one of Ødegaard or him starting

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I guess so actually. I like that idea. Will say Kroos grew into having some really underrated defensive instincts so they’d still have to do some work.

If we could make it work I’d be buzzing. If Xhaka goes rather than get a direct replacement like Neves it’d be a chance to change it up.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I don’t think they would. Atleast not consistently. I don’t mind him as we need another midfielder if we go to Europe next season. We could do with another creative midfielder as well. But I think half of the time it will be one of Ødegaard or him starting

Don’t think you can equate Tielemans and Ødegaard exactly, could definitely play them together if you had a disciplined DM

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Don’t think you can equate Tielemans and Ødegaard exactly, could definitely play them together if you had a disciplined DM
I wouldn’t want to be that DM because he will be expected to do crazy work game in game out

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I wouldn’t want to be that DM because he will be expected to do crazy work game in game out

Ødegaard has been a been a little disappointing in that regard. I thought he could work well deeper but he tends to get caught on the ball too often and while he presses and tracks well, he's not a great tackler.

Tielemans is quite a lot better at the defensive basics - at least from what I've seen. He obviously has the odd horror show as well but he's not a defensive midfielder. I think there would be some promise in that pairing (with a proper DM like Phillips behind maybe). Obviously not for every match or situation though.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League

Don’t really understand the comparison with United. For one, United are a terribly coached team. Bruno loses the ball for no reason and they do not have a reliable DM who can progress the ball. If Pep has shown us anything, you can definitely put two attacking midfielders in midfield provided you have the right structure in place. I mean yes Tielmans defensive stats aren’t great but let’s no act like KdB, Gundogan or Foden’s are any better. My biggest gripe with Youri is his work rate. I’m not sure if he’s a good enough presser. You can sort of get away with not tackling or interceptions if you are good at winning second balls and press effectively. I haven’t seen enough from Tielmans to suggest he can do that.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Don’t really understand the comparison with United. For one, United are a terribly coached team. Bruno loses the ball for no reason and they do not have a reliable DM who can progress the ball. If Pep has shown us anything, you can definitely put two attacking midfielders in midfield provided you have the right structure in place. I mean yes Tielmans defensive stats aren’t great but let’s no act like KdB, Gundogan or Foden’s are any better. My biggest gripe with Youri is his work rate. I’m not sure if he’s a good enough presser. You can sort of get away with not tackling or interceptions if you are good at winning second balls and press effectively. I haven’t seen enough from Tielmans to suggest he can do that.

If we use him as a Xhaka replacement and go with two 8s then I totally agree.

Just with the system under Arteta we’ve seen so far I’d expect him to target a Neves type but if he changes it up fully support it.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This could be a lot of fun, but it certainly puts a lot of pressure on Partey defensively.

I think Ødegaard almost suits a hybrid 8/10 role more than a flat 10.

View attachment 5852

This is a lot more balanced, and I'd feel more comfortable with it going into big games.

View attachment 5853
More comfortable doing what though? Playing in a low to mid block, because that's what you will have to do with Neves.

I don't know whether anyone has noticed, but Tierney hasn't been overlapping recently. We have moved to invert both full backs and give the wingers 1 v1 situations.

However currently we only have Ødegaard capable of occupying a half space. The left half space is occupied by Xhaka who isn't a threat and Lacazette has the central zone. If we invert both full backs we do not need another holding midfielder.

Tierney-----Partey------Tomi
----------Gabriel---White

That becomes your defensive 5 and protection vs transition.

Martinelli-------New CF------------Saka
-----------Nkunku--------Ødegaard

That becomes your 5 lanes of attack with dual 10s who can hurt the opposition meaning they can't really afford to double up on the wide players.

Our lack of threat from central areas is what allows Saka and Martinelli to be double teamed.

People just want to feel comfortable in a double pivot because on paper they stay there and don't move where in reality we should be evolving into a 3 man midfielder using our full backs to tuck in at the tight time to create a 5.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This could be a lot of fun, but it certainly puts a lot of pressure on Partey defensively.

I think Ødegaard almost suits a hybrid 8/10 role more than a flat 10.

View attachment 5852

This is a lot more balanced, and I'd feel more comfortable with it going into big games.

View attachment 5853

I think give Tomiyasu is essentially an extra CB, this should work in certain games. Its more about the balance in midfield. It hasn't worked so far, with ESR and Ode, as neither are really number 8's. Tielemans has been playing thay position for 3 years now in the PL. The team should be balanced as in theory there will still always be 4 guys always behind the ball. It's actually quite an exciting team on paper imo.

Tom349

Tielemans issues defensively are primarily his positioning which over time and with better coaching should improve. His lack of stamina, intent and speed to get back will always work against him but if he can improve his positioning then the number of times he gets caught out will lessen.

He potentially represents very good value given his contract situation and Leciester being on the verge of a mini rebuild.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Would much rather have Ndidi than Tielemans. Similar age. People might say Partey and him are too similar but I think both can work if the 4 in front have more freedom.

Phillips may be another good option. Both available for the right price. Chelsea will target rice and I think City with Rodrigo are covered. Liverpool maybe want a DCM as Henderson aging. United need about 3 new midfielders so let's see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom