• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Tielemans is in no way quick. Has a bit better acceleration than Xhaka I think though which is important in midfield. Not sure about pace.

United currently is not a better option for him than us, apart from them paying ridiculous wages.
Think he meant that they'll switch targets quickly, possibly to Tielemans

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
I just can't think of any good targets for 6 so late in the window. So if we just get youri and in case partey is missing, we can just play xhaka in 6. I know we have had a lot of issues with him playing as the deepest mid but in a much more settled team he should be able to do a job I believe (hope)

Halcyon Daze

I just can't think of any good targets for 6 so late in the window. So if we just get youri and in case partey is missing, we can just play xhaka in 6. I know we have had a lot of issues with him playing as the deepest mid but in a much more settled team he should be able to do a job I believe (hope)
Nunes or Caquaret would be achievable at 6. But not happening. Xhakha at 6 terrifies me deeply.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Nunes or Caquaret would be achievable at 6. But not happening. Xhakha at 6 terrifies me deeply.
Has Xhaka ever played DMF in our 4-3-3 with inverted fullbacks? Would that be different to the earlier horror shows?

He played the LCM last season because we had no one else who fits there apart from ESR and Sambi, and both are too inexperienced for the position. If we get Tielemas, he can play there and that leaves Xhaka out.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Don’t think this is happening. Sambi, Elneny and Vieira will be the backups for lcm, dm and rcm respectively

drippin

Don’t think this is happening. Sambi, Elneny and Vieira will be the backups for lcm, dm and rcm respectively
So 6 players for 3 positions?

Where from backups one is a youngster with first year in EPL, one is still in development and a question plus the squaddie who just isn't good enough for top 4?

Sounds like Arsenal midfield. Especially when one starting midfielder is injury-prone so the expectation is 5,5 midfielders for 3 positions.

drippin

You could say we have 6 players for 3 positions, Partey, Elneny, Xhaka, Lokonga, Ødegaard and Vieira or you could add Zinchenko and ESR who are more than capable and say we have 8.

I can understand an argument based on lack of quality but not on lack of numbers.
Lack of numbers is based on the injury-proneness of our best DMF.

Also I just explained that if we want two quality players for each position, currently you never can count Zinchenko or ESR because they are needed as LB and LW for this.

The quality is not good enough for top 4, unless someone has a miracle season, or we have no injuries.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Not sure why we're overly worried about Tielemans mobility or pace.

You can mask those weaknesses in the more advanced LCM role as we've done with Xhaka in this system.

There's a bit more thrust and attacking impetus / risk taking with Tielemans as compared to Xhaka. At absolute worst he's a good rotation option.

For the fee being quoted, £20-25m, he should be an absolute no brainer. I expect us to move for him towards the end of the window.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
What we need for the #6 role is a dribbler or can find space and create space for others IMO. That will allow our inverted fullbacks and the #6 to create the numbers but all be able to beat their man and progress the ball.

This is why Im not too keen on Youri. Yes he can find players between the lines and play his part in the middle three. But his ability to consistently beat the man pressing him is my concern.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
What we need for the #6 role is a dribbler or can find space and create space for others IMO. That will allow our inverted fullbacks and the #6 to create the numbers but all be able to beat their man and progress the ball.

This is why Im not too keen on Youri. Yes he can find players between the lines and play his part in the middle three. But his ability to consistently beat the man pressing him is my concern.

He's reasonably press resistant but obviously he isn't a 6, he's an 8 or 10. You go for him because it's an opportunity to get a 60-70m midfielder for 25m

SA Gunner

He's reasonably press resistant but obviously he isn't a 6, he's an 8 or 10. You go for him because it's an opportunity to get a 60-70m midfielder for 25m

Fair enough.

Yeah he can play fast and beat his man. But I see him more as an advanced #8 in our system. Definite rotation/competition for Xhaka.

But yes, he can drop into the midfield 3 and play a role there. Again I would do the same to Youri what I would do with Xhaka.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Fair enough.

Yeah he can play fast and beat his man. But I see him more as an advanced #8 in our system. Definite rotation/competition for Xhaka.

But yes, he can drop into the midfield 3 and play a role there. Again I would do the same to Youri what I would do with Xhaka.

You obviously have the problem when Partey is out who plays as the 6. It's between Xhaka, Zinc and Elneny I think. Can Xhaka with play with Tielemans alongside inverted fullbacks? Their passing range is high quality but the press resistance and recovery pace isn't really there. Maybe having Zinc helps with that.

SA Gunner

You obviously have the problem when Partey is out who plays as the 6. It's between Xhaka, Zinc and Elneny I think. Can Xhaka with play with Tielemans alongside inverted fullbacks? Their passing range is high quality but the press resistance and recovery pace isn't really there. Maybe having Zinc helps with that.

I think they can yes, both of them (and Elneny) will be well protected there IMO. Not as good as TP there but we’ll be sufficiently covered and have the means to build up.

My personal preference is Paqueta who I feel drops into that role and replicates TP there. I’m convinced he can do that and believe those rumours of him being Bernardo’s replacement should he leave City. Bernardo does the exact same thing.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Lack of numbers is based on the injury-proneness of our best DMF.

Also I just explained that if we want two quality players for each position, currently you never can count Zinchenko or ESR because they are needed as LB and LW for this.

The quality is not good enough for top 4, unless someone has a miracle season, or we have no injuries.
The trouble is we have been without Champions League football for 6 years, I don't think it's realistic for a Europa level team to have 2 quality players for every single position.

In my opinion we have done the next best thing and have tried to bring in versatile players who can play to a high level in 2 or 3 positions, Zinchenko, Jesus, Vieira as well as putting bids in for Martinez and Raphina who is comfortable on both wings.

We would have to be pretty unlucky for Xhaka, Vieira, Tierney and Martinelli/ESR to all be injured at the same time for example. That is the sort of scenario where we would need Zinchenko as cover for midfield and left back.

I do feel you concern for Partey backup though, Martinez could have potentially gave us extra depth there which is unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom