• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Who let Sly Fox back on here. Last summer he was on here saying how we could have Maddison as long as Tielemans stays, he's their best player. Now he's saying the opposite. Fickle.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

There are three trains of thoughts i have here. One, after a lot of football at a young age he is done. Turned 25 this month and has made 457 senior appearances. Xhaka who is 30 in September has made 501 senior appearances (according to wiki)

Or does he want to leave and is simply going through the motions which in itself would be a worry as you don't want a player that downs tools. Ive seen players do it before and never recover their form or when times get tough are effectively an empty jersey.

The third and final is that he took on a lot of responsibility during a bad season and his attempt to play harder and taking on responsibility stifled his game in what was a bad season for his club in general.

My conclusion at 25m he is worth a punt.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Who let Sly Fox back on here. Last summer he was on here saying how we could have Maddison as long as Tielemans stays, he's their best player. Now he's saying the opposite. Fickle.
He has flip flopped massively but in fairness so have we and the reason is that Tielemans was absolutely immense last season and he's dropped off a fair bit this year whilst Maddison has picked up again.

Read the quotes from Brendan Rodgers in the article below about Tielemans last season. He absolutely raves about his quality. Stats wise he got 6 goals & 4 assists (same as this season) but was Top 5 in the league for passes into the final 3rd, through balls and touches. Second in the league for ball recoveries as well. And that's all playing a significant number of games deeper in midfield.

The article also talks about his fitness - covering the most ground of any Leicester player in back to back matches against Wolves & Fulham as well as an excellent injury record. His heat map shows that he can play left and right equally well and passes to basically all areas of the pitch.

Yes he's a little slow, but the enigma really seems to be whether this year has been because he's just disinterested with Leicester or whether it's something more fundamental. I dunno, but for £25m he seems like a pretty quality addition to the squad anyway.

Screenshot_2022-05-24-22-37-22-85_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Screenshot_2022-05-24-22-38-11-70_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

benjamin86

Established Member
He has flip flopped massively but in fairness so have we and the reason is that Tielemans was absolutely immense last season and he's dropped off a fair bit this year whilst Maddison has picked up again.

Read the quotes from Brendan Rodgers in the article below about Tielemans last season. He absolutely raves about his quality. Stats wise he got 6 goals & 4 assists (same as this season) but was Top 5 in the league for passes into the final 3rd, through balls and touches. Second in the league for ball recoveries as well. And that's all playing a significant number of games deeper in midfield.

The article also talks about his fitness - covering the most ground of any Leicester player in back to back matches against Wolves & Fulham as well as an excellent injury record. His heat map shows that he can play left and right equally well and passes to basically all areas of the pitch.

Yes he's a little slow, but the enigma really seems to be whether this year has been because he's just disinterested with Leicester or whether it's something more fundamental. I dunno, but for £25m he seems like a pretty quality addition to the squad anyway.

View attachment 7005
View attachment 7006
I think he's struggled with Ndidi missing half the season and been left with too much to do by his other midfield partner?

Ciscoo

There are three trains of thoughts i have here. One, after a lot of football at a young age he is done. Turned 25 this month and has made 457 senior appearances. Xhaka who is 30 in September has made 501 senior appearances (according to wiki)

Or does he want to leave and is simply going through the motions which in itself would be a worry as you don't want a player that downs tools. Ive seen players do it before and never recover their form or when times get tough are effectively an empty jersey.

The third and final is that he took on a lot of responsibility during a bad season and his attempt to play harder and taking on responsibility stifled his game in what was a bad season for his club in general.

My conclusion at 25m he is worth a punt.
These are my thoughts too. I think a marquee signing CM is our joint top priority but sadly I just don’t see it happening without CL.

I’m clinging onto a few cases where a bad final season prior to a big move was immediately forgotten. Van Dijk’s last season at Southampton springs to mind.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
These are my thoughts too. I think a marquee signing CM is our joint top priority but sadly I just don’t see it happening without CL.

I’m clinging onto a few cases where a bad final season prior to a big move was immediately forgotten. Van Dijk’s last season at Southampton springs to mind.

His form is concerning. Although he seemed to start the season better and tail off looking at his, admitedly flawed, whoscored ratings. It seemed he played better with Ndidi and struggled more with the other 6s who by the looks of it aren't much cop. Any number 8 will struggle more if their number 6 isn't up to the task. Also he has been played into the ground at Leicester from what I can gather.

Also saw this on a Leicester forum:

Had a brief look at Youri's numbers for this season and was kinda surprised to see that, according to virtually every measure, they're either the same or better than last year. The only decreases were how often he receives the ball (and thus the number of passes and dribbles he makes). Even with less of the ball, his p90 numbers for progressive passes/SCA/goals and assists (both expected and actual) have increased. Even his defensive numbers (tackles/interceptions/pressures) have improved.

Of course the question stands as to why he's getting the ball less, but I feel like Youri's perceived performance may be a victim of our season rather than how he's actually played.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
You take Youri for 25 mil if you can. You dont waste time or another team will come running. Hope we dont drag this out. That leaves you with room to get Neves from Wolves then you can sell the curse afterwards or keep him if you want, just not as a starter.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Who do people think is better?

Tielemans or Neves?

I think they're very different players, if you asked me which is more suited to Xhaka's current role it's 100% Tielemans, but if you asked me who would be more valuable to this team over a season I'd probably say Neves.

My only issue with Tielemans is the fact that if Partey goes down for a long period our midfield is suddenly very weak again, whereas if we had Neves and Partey went down while it would drop a little I back Neves much more to be able to be solid in the centre of the park against any side.

It's why I'd have liked Tielemans and someone else but we went an extended Elneny.

Tielemans Elneny - Bang average midfield
Xhaka Tielemans - Okay
Partey Xhaka - Decent
Tielemans Partey - Very good

Tielemans best performances came alongside Ndidi so I think we'd see much similar with Partey but he can't stay fit atm.

That's kinda how I'd see it.

6gunner

I think they're very different players, if you asked me which is more suited to Xhaka's current role it's 100% Tielemans, but if you asked me who would be more valuable to this team over a season I'd probably say Neves.

My only issue with Tielemans is the fact that if Partey goes down for a long period our midfield is suddenly very weak again, whereas if we had Neves and Partey went down while it would drop a little I back Neves much more to be able to be solid in the centre of the park against any side.

It's why I'd have liked Tielemans and someone else but we went an extended Elneny.

Xhaka Tielemans - Okay
Partey Xhaka - Decent

Tielemans best performances came alongside Ndidi so I think we'd see much similar with Partey but he can't stay fit atm.

Agreed. To sign Tielemans we need another midfielder who can play 6. Luis from Aston Villa for instance.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I think he’ll just play Xhaka there if Partey gets injured. If we had Tielemans in the squad for those last few matches without Partey I don’t think Elneny would’ve been playing.

I don't think so. I hope we move Xhaka on but I doubt it. I think Mikel has moved away from Xhaka playing there for good.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I think he’ll just play Xhaka there if Partey gets injured. If we had Tielemans in the squad for those last few matches without Partey I don’t think Elneny would’ve been playing.
Xhaka-Tielemans would be a disaster defensively against stronger midfields, though. Very limited quickness-wise. They'd be fine in attack, but I think we need someone who is more solid defensively.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Xhaka Tielemans - Okay
Partey Xhaka - Decent

Love this mate. Top stuff 👊🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom