Youth got to be kidding?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by truth_hurts, May 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Easily Triggered

Well you can say the same against senior team.

North5 likes this.
  2. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

It's not the same. Boys cannot compete against men.

3. hydrofluoric acid

Most of our seniors can't compete either.

4. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

That's questionable. They may not be the best we've had but in the past few seasons we won three FA Cups, finished in the top six throughout and got to the semi-finals and final of the Europa League.

Play the youth team and you'll have a relegation battle on your hands.

Young players need to be brought into a stable team gradually and given a chance to shine without the weight of failure round their necks. To bring them in en masse and expect them to save Kronke's skin would not only be a huge gamble, it would definitely not work.

Look at the teams these boys have faced - they didn't even win their league - and the results they've got and then factor in what they would be up against in the premier league.

5. hydrofluoric acid

Don't think I ever seen sensible poster on here saying that we should play a team full of youngsters.

There is just a case that because we have a strong academy at the moment that we give the best talents from the batch more chances than we did last season.

6. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

Yeah I go along with that but some are suggesting play the boys BECAUSE we can't afford to buy players thus letting Kronke off the hook. If we can't afford to buy players we're shagged, the boys alone won't even keep us where we are.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  7. Arsenal1508

Arsenal1508 Mods are unethical! Ozil, come assist me please!

No one said change the entire 11....just the underperforming players.

MutableEarth likes this.
  8. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

If we remove all the underperforming players we need at least 10 new players. Doubt there's more than four or five in the youth team ready to be given a chance.

9. Arsenal1508

I just need 4.

Nketiah, Nelson, Smith Rowe, and Willock this season.

Saka off the bench sparingly.

Beilik maybe too. I rank him above Mustafi already.

10. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

Who do you keep from the first team is the question.

11. dka91

dka91 Well-Known Member

^Ideally we'd get a winger, LB and if Saliba goes through hen we may get a CB on loan though at this point that seems doubtful (getting a CB on loan that is).

This would leave us something like:

New Winger-Auba/Laca-Nelson/Saka

Torreira/Willock-Iwobi/Özil/SR-Guedouzi/Xhaka

New LB-Holding-Sok-Bellerin

I don't know if the youth players would necessarily start but especially if Özil is getting marginalised then the starting CAM spot would really be for Iwobi if I had my choice, I think he suits the middle more. In this scenario either Smith Rowe or Willock would be second choice.

I thought Smith Rowe was an attacking midfielder, maybe I've got it wrong and he's more b2b?

But yeah, I think Nelson sort of has to start on one wing, as Mkhitaryan is just not reliable at all, or at the very least he needs to be given serious consideration.

12. Arsenal1508

PEA, Torreria, Bellerin, Leno, Holding, Socrates, and Lacazette.
    Not sure about Chambers, but leaning towards keeping.

13. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

After watching a bit of the Pre-season so far, I'm well up for blooding youth. Willock needs minutes in cup and very winnable home games - he's better then I thought. Ditto for Nelson.

I'd still sell Maitland-Niles, but perhaps next summer now. Saka, Martinelli and Nketiah look promising and Guendouzi is a first team option. Smith-Rowe should go on loan.

These are exciting times.

krackpot likes this.
  14. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Looks like Medley is getting promoted to the senior team.

Iceman10 likes this.
  15. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Grain of salt. Likely gonna play mostly u23 football. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a 1st team run but I have strong doubts he is ready. Great on the ball and in the air but defending still needs work.

Iceman10 likes this.
  16. db10fan

db10fan Member

Medley, Willock, ESR, Nelson, Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah, John-Jules, if no loan deals now, keep them for cups/easier EPL and Euro League matches, then send some of them on loans in January.

17. truth_hurts

I'm still not quite sure that we have enough leadership in our team. If we had more, I'd happily place faith in the youngsters. I'd love a Umtiti, Alves and or Matuidi/Khedira to come in to allow the likes of Willock, Nelson, Saka and Nketiah to play with more guidance and less pressure.

18. teamsoutheast

teamsoutheast Well-Known Member

Potential top ball playing defender. He is very skillful for a guy with his height. If he improves defensively he could be very good indeed.

19. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

Medley is one of the most interesting prospects for me, but far from ready.. If he was to be relied on he would be exposed badly, so it's for the best if he only plays league cup and Europa games or goes on loan. I like what I've seen of him though.

Geofranco and THunter like this.
  20. truth_hurts

Think I've gone three-quarter circle. In my opinion, central defence is not a breeding ground for young centre backs and I like that we aren't forcing Salibah in this year. Otherwise - our young talents are superb and look ready. Let's get all our most talented under 23s involved with the first team: Holding, Guendouzi, Willock, Smith-Rowe (would rather loan), Nelson, Martinelli and Nketiah. They all offer something to our first team that we are short on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.