• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Youth recruitment policy- yay or nay?

Do you like our new recruitment policy?

• Yes

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters

akhil

Arteta famously told Willian he could lift a CL trophy within three years. From 8th to champions of Europe. Mad. I too agree that the youth policy was definitely pushed on to Arteta. He always turned to experience in troubling times and now the club has told him to go back to their roots.
As for the signings:

Ben White was definitely a vanity signing from Arteta. You know Mikel was pissed with the Saliba questions and decided toreplace him. Could have given Luiz an another year if he really wanted to, but he didn’t.

Ramsdale. Arteta’s signing.

Lokonga. I’m leaning towards Arteta because of the Kompany link. However, Edu’s analytics team could’ve found him or Henry told him to sign him. I’ll say both Edu and Arteta.

Taveres. I am going to be honest here, anyone that’s a Portuguese speaker or Brazilian, I’m immediately giving it to Edu.

Ødegaard. Arteta’s signing.

Tomiyasu. Arteta’s signing, but I think Edu’s analytics team found him and recommended it.

The article in the Atheletic said Ødegaard came up the from the recruitment team in December, not Arteta. Once he's here, it's easy enough to judge with your own eyes.

Arteta already gave credit to the scouts/analysts for Tavares and Lokonga. It was in the post match interview for a preseason game.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
130M on six young players. Why not spend 65m on two top layers (like Özil & Auba back then) that can immediately get into the starting XI? Real, Barca, and clubs in Ligue 1 have financial issues. I can't understand the best players the club is getting from elite clubs is Ødegaard.
Well we dropped out of top 4 under Arsène with both Auba & Özil coming in so it is certainly no guarantee.
The massive wages & no sell on value also doesnt help balance the books!

You can add experienced big money players like Mustafi & Laca, they certainly did not take us forward.

Once out of champions league, let alone european football are they gonna come?
We kinda went that way as far as we probably could without Champions league football with the signings of Pepe & Partey imho.
So there we spent big fees for recognised players but pepe is virtually a modern day gervinho (talented but frustrating) & partey is always blinkin injured.

Fact is the best will not come a club without Champs league, the very best will not go to a club that doesnt have a serious chance of winning it.
Ya reckon lakaku comes here & waits around for the team to develop?
Why does Kane want to leave Sp**s? Why did RVP and others leave Arsenal?
Even if we were in the champs league the majority would still likely go to Man C, Chelski or Man U.

Thats just the lay of the land unfortunately.

Yeosol

If Arteta proves to be a good manager this season it will work, he has the necessary tools at his disposal now, so it becomes very clear in terms of analysing Arteta's work this season: either it's a success or it's not, and he needs to be sacked.
Exactly this. I think the policy is precisely what we should be doing now, after back to back 8th place finishes. Our best bet of getting top class players is by producing them from the academy (which we actually seem very capable of doing now) or signing young players with top class potential who can realize that potential at Arsenal.

The questions that follow are first if we've identified the right young players, and secondly if the manager can get the best out of them. That obviously remains to be seen, but the profile of players we're going for is spot on.

Have to laugh at all the pundits coming out to criticise our signings, saying they can't see a strategy behind them. Six players signed, all six are age 21-23. Even Paul Merson should be able to see the pattern.

Corbulo

There is no pattern or strategy. It's just safe dry humping. Arteta and Edu are taking advantage of Kroenkes' lack of football knowledge. The same Kroenkes' that spend ages looking for a DoF and then hired Edu whose previous experience seemed more adminstrative than strategic. They are completely lacking any vision of the club's long-term strategy. We'll soon be a sleeping giant.

This policy looks good only on paper but it's basically a coin toss. The transition from being a prospect to an established player is huge. This time we don't even have an exceptional talent like Fabregas, and in two or three seasons Saka will also be gone, the only guy who is actually promising so far.

We could have kept Saliba and use the money spent on White plus Ramsdale/Tomyiasu to buy a proper established center midfielder or make other smart moves. A club as big and with as much resources as us should never just accept mediocrity. Arteta has had almost two years and outspent every other club in the world, and here we are hoping to beat Norwich at home, the biggest game of the season.

Edu: "I don't want to give out top 4 or top 6 or top 8 or top 10 as the goal". Our brave guys just don't want to be held accountable. Accept being bottom of the table without scoring a single goal and playing BDSM football.

db10fan

Yay - at least financially better than signing average players in their late 20s who will lose value. Although we massively overpaid for Ramsdale if he is not a reliable no 1 GK and for White who statswise is the inferior CB compared to Tomi, we should have signed Tomi earlier and uses White funds to sign better starting CM, for example Sabitzer only cost 15 M Euro even Camavinga only cost 31 M euro about half of White. the rest of the fund should be enough for another young talented RB or CB as a Teta dislikes Saliba. I think with the massive premium in English players we should fill the HG quota with players from our Academy, and get better value from elite talents abroad, only buying English players when very young for our Academy or when the price is reasonable.

Last edited:

TinFish

yay and nay. It's a model we've been doing since Fabregas emerged. We will just go in circles again and the big boys will snap up any potential stars. Expect Saka to be gone within 3 seasons.

If we could develop players like La Masia, teach them 'the Arsenal way' attacking, fun free-flowing Wengerball as our principles then I'd be happy with that as a minimum as we would enjoy great football again. Unfortunately I think our academy is wasted and we've completely lost our identity.

Game has changed, need a state to sponsor us to be serious again.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

Hmmmmm and...?

This thread and the others assume we complain about signings because we are stupid and know nothing about the game or what Arteta is failing to do. We are not.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
A youth policy is a worthwhile investment if you have a coach like Wenger. Proven success and a record of players they’ve nurtured.

A rookie manager, already under pressure and now with a young squad?

Doesn’t scream intelligent planning to me.

Last edited:

RacingPhoton

Established Member

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Errors are such a big problem. But we decide to extend contract for a player with record for errors leading to goal?

The club do contradict themselves, dont they?

That said, and I think Ill be crucified for this. Now that the dust has settled a bit, I do think Arteta should be given this and next month to "start implementing his style", that's being so nicely described here.

Its probably at risk of writing off the season, but hey... we werent going to do much anyway right?

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
Douzi is with the French squad this week.... any arguments about his talent have to be dead now :lol:

Wait a second... Gignac, Squillaci and Debuchy played for the french national team as well.

Honestly a call up doesn't mean much, especially if they are sitting on the bench.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Wait a second... Gignac, Squillaci and Debuchy played for the french national team as well.

Honestly a call up doesn't mean much, especially if they are sitting on the bench.
maybe but dont think he is being taken to make up the numbers like those bums

racked up the u21 caps ending it with captaincy then straight in & around the senior squad at 22... kid is the future

Camus

Trusted ⭐
It's hard to judge young players who are volatile in the performances and development whilst Arteta is manager. He could make even Mbappe look terrible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom