• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Zel Time has come

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuvken

Established Member
OK - easy to get carried away, and many will tell me soon (rightly) to cool off. We are still a few years away from his reign.

But honestly - how many of you, despite the ridiculous amount of play time we actually watched (for most of us it's two debuts: the u-21 debut, and the first team, 45 minutes debut against a nothing team, where he touched the ball not too many times. and some you tube clips) doubt that this is something big? I don't.

Reserve thread for this? nah. It is he. And we get to talk about all things concerning the new era (cos we don't have player threads :angel ) in here. This will be a long ride - enjoy it.

AliBabaBrewer

This thread could go one of two ways:
- A 110+ page thread that will go on for a few seasons and pick up pace the more he features in the Carling Cup (Or whatever it's called now) and then FA Cup 3rd round, etc etc, until he becomes a first team sub, whereby he'll get a new thread discussing how he'll do in the team.

OR

- One of those threads we hash up in about 5 years time, and say 'Jesus, look how we all went mental over that guy that ended up as nothing, in a Quincy Owusu-Abeyie/Abou Diaby fasion'

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Seen him play today plus the highlights from the Liverpool game and I think it's safe to say, he's better than Messi.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Looks pretty good so far, but very early days. Could be the next Ali Dia. Want to see some CC action from the lad this season, will be good to see what he does against lower league opposition.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
So he was very good today, and produced one absolutely mesmerising pass.... I've just watched all his youtube best bits, and saw that he's only 16! I thought I was watching a slight 20 year old. I must say, he plays with the same maturity I only ever saw in Cesc at the same age. That's what swung it for me with Cesc at the time. That's what left me in no doubt back then. Frightening.

yuvken

Established Member
That is exactly how I feel, jury. Same thing that says: we know nothing, and we've seen presumed prodigies bite the dust. But - woah! what in the world is that! This is very, very special.

Those who didn't watch the game today - there was another pass like that, was incorrectly ruled offside (refs in general were, errr, the level of the local boys), but all this is nothing. It's that feeling. We had it with cesc. We had some version of it with Jack. (in some instances Gnabs and ox have a bit of that). But boy, does he have it.

Looks like the absolute anti hero. doesn't inspire you to expect something special coming from that skinny boy. But my advice to you: start following. Ignore the necessary bad games and periods he'll surely have. I'd be more than just surprised if he doesn't deliver - he's going to be a world class player.

oh to be a goon

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uwbYDOAgAhU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... wbYDOAgAhU</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally Arsenal have someone with a North American accent. Now I can actually understand what one of our players is saying :lol:

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Only thing I disagree is that we had that feeling 'at some version' with Jack.

Jack had it all, form the first time my eye saw him. And I am sure we all did, but somehow, cause of his injury and moving to AM after coming back, people forget what they felt before.

I was in Austria for Arsenal preseason, 1st one Jack had with first team, and it was insane. He was by far best player every single day on the training ground. Every touch, move, skill... Rip was there, Cesc too, and all other players we had, but it was Jack who shined, and made it so obvious he is very special player. And he did it every time he played for reserves from that day, just like 1st team.

I hate people forgetting that.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
@ Yuv - He was hard to follow today, as the blurry stream and distance from the pitch made it really hard to tell most of our players apart. Add the foreign commentary, and the only time I ever knew anyone had done something good was when they scored and you got the close-up!

I saw the incorrectly ruled off-side pass and thought it was Ox playing it. It was a superb pass, and a full meter ON side. Terrible decision.

A German with Ethiopian genes too! Could he have a better base to work from?!

yuvken

Established Member
Actually had a rather uninterrupted stream, and could tell immediately as it happened it was him passing, and that it was absolutely out of this world. There wasn't too much else about his game, but for the stuff we (the nutters) can already identify: that movement, anticipation, cool on the ball, the turn and change direction. But such moments of inspiration and perfect execution leave you with a lower jaw you have to lift back from the floor.

Arsenal lover - what are you on about? we had it with Jack. It was a version of that. "Some version" - not the cesc version, or others. Nobody's forgetting anything at all. And that's quite a list of special talents Jack appears on to begin with. Chill, mate. :lol:

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I probably didnt understand you best :)
More then 80% people in lobby forgot how good and special Jack was, and still is, and it drove me nuts... Maybe thats why I fume as soon as I see Jack's name and something I think is against him :D

My stream was fine too, and even had one with English commentators, but actually turn it off and switched back to Arabian, cause those stupids couldnt guess our players at all.
They kept on calling Akpom by Chuks Aneke name, Gnarby was Ox, Theo was Gnarby, etc etc... so annoying and at times confusing

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Zelalem vs Indonesian Dream Team
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UCgp_lzZr8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UCgp_lzZr8</a>
He'll be in the Arsenal team by the age of 19-20, just needs to bulk up and I want to see if he's clinical in front of goal

For people who need to see more of him this was his performance against Liverpool <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73N8uiplH90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73N8uiplH90</a>

Zelalem is very strong technically, the way he shields the ball is a delight to watch , he reads the game very well (made 3 interceptions today and always kept the ball moving) and he has Cesc's vision.

If he's got a good engine on him and he bulks up a lot (he's got a pretty good height) then I think he would be perfect for the CM role rather than CAM where he's playing in the reserves.
Wilshere - CAM, Zelalem - CM and Kondogbia - CDM could be the future

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
This thread is a little premature, he hasn't even featured in a CC game yet, hes barely played two games for Arsenal :shock:

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
He does seem to have that Cesc like confidence and composure with ball at feet and has the eye for the killer pass.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Zelalem emphasises potential to all with composed display

It had always been clear that Gedion Zelalem was a terrific talent owing to his calmness on the ball and ability to find his team-mates with ease, but yesterday, in his first appearance for the senior side, the 16 year old demonstrated just why he has been referred to as one of the most precocious talents in recent years.

Whilst many of his fellow new first-year scholars were making their debuts for the U21s in a friendly away to Sutton United on Friday evening, Zelalem was travelling to Asia with the senior squad, something which itself wasn’t too much of a surprise given the regularity with which Arsène Wenger has selected the Germany U16 international to train with the first-team.

After finally being granted permission to play in England last season, Zelalem, who was spotted by Arsenal scouts whilst playing for Olney Rangers in America, featured four times for the U21s towards the end of last season, but, after shining on his debut against Liverpool, failed to catch the eye in his other three outings.

Yesterday, however, he looked immediately at ease after being introduced as a second-half substitute, was comfortable in possession and played one stupendous, outside-of-the-boot pass to find Thomas Eisfeld that could be described as a genuine show-stopping moment, whilst his overall performance was highly commendable.

There will be much tougher challenges to come, however. Zelalem does require some improvement in his physicality, but that will no doubt come in time. Furthermore, when he was closed down during those aforementioned U21 fixtures, the youngster found it difficult to play the correct passes, which is something he will have to learn to cope with when he comes up against more experienced defenders.

The general situation concerning Zelalem, however, can be deemed to be rather positive. Much of the mystique that surrounded his arrival has now worn off and it is clear to all that he is indeed a very promising player for the future. Whether he will follow the example set by Jack Wilshere and become part of the first-team squad whilst still a first-year remains to be seen, but, regardless, he will certainly feature in the Capital One Cup this season, and, depending on his progress, could be involved in further competitions, too.
<a class="postlink" href="http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/zelalem-emphasises-potential-to-all-with-composed-display/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2013/ ... d-display/</a>

Zelalem has no problem keeping possession when he's closed down, its actually one of his biggest strengths but he has problem holding players off.
He lacks upper body strength and it will take him at least a couple of years to really fill out.

Sydney Gooner said:
He's looks more like Xavi than Cesc than to me.
Technically he's similar to Özil imo but his passing style is similar to Xavi

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wrighty4eva said:
This thread is a little premature, he hasn't even featured in a CC game yet, hes barely played two games for Arsenal :shock:

When he receive the Ballon d'Or, I can say I was there in beginning. 8))

yuvken

Established Member
:D Yes, something like that, Rain.
ArsenaLover said:
I fume as soon as I see Jack's name and something I think is against him :D
Happily you're out of that dungeon. We don't talk stupid here (at least we try; or we're sent right back there :) ). Anyway, you'd be hard pressed to find me not on Jack's side. But in terms of that special feeling, he didn't rank as high as Cesc (though indeed he was special since a very young age).

@jms - thanx, nice touch, good contribution (as always).
Wilshere - CAM, Zelalem - CM and Kondogbia - CDM could be the future
By the time Zelalem plays for the first team, you'd have Crowley there as well (extreme hype warning :) )
Wrighty4eva said:
Yes, it sure is. Like we care.
Sydney Gooner said:
He's looks more like Xavi than Cesc than to me.
Don't know if I would put these tags on him ATM. He sure has the eye for the pass that one in a million players has (and in that whether it's xavi or cesc really matters little). But the was he moves at least looks different from both (many times his movement reminded me of Gilberto, at least when he stayed in a more covering role; though he opens himself up more like the previous two mentioned). The outrageous pass was an outside of the foot pass too (a bit Rosickiesque that), and it's far too early to tell how his attacking play will develop. I can see why Jms feels there's Özil there too. Whichever way it goes, it looks good at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom