• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Zel Time has come

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
pet said:
MutableEarth said:
Eisfeld is a good impact player but he lacks the in-game consistency - Gnabry to an extent also lacks this but he is more talented and has more scope for brilliance. Eisfeld needs a loan IMO.

how did you come to this conclusion? my impression of eisfeld is the exact opposite, he seems very consistent

Not really, he only seems consistent because he scores quite a lot for a midfielder :lol:. I have often seen him drift out of games for the U21s - and as I said before, I've seen the same for Gnabry also. If anything, I'd say that Olsson seems to stamp his imprint on a match more consistently.

When I say in-game consistency, I mean he doesn't keep the same level of performance over the 90 mins. His most effective ability seems to be his knack of scoring. Not a bad ability to have, and he is an intelligent player. I suspect that he will probably play better when surrounded by other intelligent players. That's what I gleaned from his performance at Reading compared to his U21 form. But it's difficult to analyze off the back of that one solid first team appearance.

Gnabry drifts out of games too, and has a similar goal threat. Perhaps Gnabry is less effective at popping up with an out-of-the-blue goal in the way Eisfeld does, but he probably stamps his imprint on games a bit more as an impact player. Both have their pros and cons IMO.

As it is his own thread, Zelalem seems to be a player with the ability to dictate the tempo as well as stamp an imprint with his effective passing. I do wonder what kind of player he will be on the counter because he seems like the kind of player who can pick out a through ball against the biggest buses parked in front of the goal. If Zelalem can influence a match for the majority of the 90 mins he is on the field, then he is well on his way. Eisfeld and Gnabry can probably get away with not doing so because of where they play on the field, but I suspect that with more game time, both Eisfeld and Gnabry will add that to their game and become more durable threats over 90 mins.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bigbludfire said:

A lot of arrogance in that, I hate how the author has already dismissed Ethopia as an option to the mighty U.S.A. before he's even received American citizenship

I'm curious as to what parts you found arrogant about that article unless you are just referring to the idea that Gedion might opt to play for the USA instead of Ethiopia in the hypothetical scenario that he decides to not play for Germany.

Even though the article does say that Gedion will most likely never play for the United States since he is in no way American since he was born in Germany to Ethiopian parents and moved to America without formally applying for American citizenship.

But obviously the USA would clearly try to find a way to get him to play for their national team since he is such a talent.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Well the dismissing of him playing for the country of his blood was a big one for me, and the second was this paragraph...

That's eight years, perhaps the most crucial years of his development, spent honing his skills in an American soccer environment. No matter how his Arsenal career plays out, the fact that Arsène Wenger rates him highly enough to include the teenager in his game-day squad for an EPL game reflects positively on the teams he played for, the coaching he received, and the rising level of player development in United States.

It's as if he's suggesting he should be grateful for how he's developed in the United States, when actually this could be a complete blip for American football development.

Other pedantic things like

Coming here did not squash his natural gifts. It cultivated them.

Whatever his international future, Gedion Zelalem is an American in nearly all of the ways that truly matter.

Just annoy me

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Well, if you're partial to Ethiopian football or Ethiopia than I can see why this could annoy you because it is attempting to take credit for something that you think another country or football culture should get credit for, but honestly no one really knows what truly made Gedion such a talented player.

As an American, I can tell you that our youth development structure has really not figured out a way to develop top players, but it is improving.

The fact that we didn't disrupt or stifle his talent is encouraging, and I think the article talks mostly about that.

If Zelalem turns into the talent we Arsenal fans hope he will be then I bet tons of Americans and Ethiopians will dream that he plays for their national team, but most likely he's going to play for Germany so the question is kind of moot.

yuvken

Established Member
Must say the last quote is the only one that seemed irritating (or ridiculous) to me. The rest is not that outrageous.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
If he wants to play consistently you might feel that Germany provides him with the least likely opportunity to do that. He'd get many more chances with USA.

or Ethiopia!

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
This thread jumps from 4th Sept to today, so I was surprised not read about his injury on this thread. I assume everyone knows he is out for 6 to 8 weeks?

<a class="postlink" href="http://straightalkingooners.com/zelelam-out-for-6-8-weeks-with-injury/15277/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://straightalkingooners.com/zelelam ... ury/15277/</a>

amirkat

Established Member
I think it was mentioned in another thread, tap-in. Or maybe I read it in the lobby.

Zel is only 16. He's still got a lot of time to make his decision. I don't even think Jenks has decided between England and Finland as of right now. Germany are very strong in Zel's position and will be for the foreseeable future, so as long as his "education" continues at Arsenal, I guess the smart choice would be the USNT. From a selfish point of view, that would most likely be bad news for Arsenal considering the time difference. Who knows, he may even pick Ethiopia at the end. Only 16 though.

trunks206

Established Member
Ethiopia throwing their hat in the ring...

Ethiopia are hopeful Arsenal's German-born midfielder Gedion Zelalem will choose to play for them.

The 16-year-old is eligible to play for Germany, Ethiopia - where his father was born - or the United States.

After Ethiopia's 2-1 defeat by Nigeria in an African World Cup play-off first leg on Sunday, Zelalem wrote on social media site Twitter: "Still proud."

In response, Ethiopian foreign minister Adhanom Tedros wrote: "Hi Gedion... we hope you will play for Ethiopia soon."

Central midfielder Zelalem arrived at Arsenal in January and quickly made a big impression, starring in the club's pre-season tour of Asia where he played in all four games in Indonesia, Vietnam and Japan.

He also played in the Emirates Cup and the Germany youth international was named in Arsenal's first-team squad for this season, although he is currently out with an injury.

Ethiopia are keen for the highly-rated youngster to pledge allegiance to the Walyas but coach Sewnet Bishaw told Reuters he would not contact the player personally.

"If he decides to play for Ethiopia and asks us, then things will be easy," said Bishaw.

Meanwhile, Ethiopia will play the second leg of their World Cup play-off against Nigeria in Calabar on 16 November. The aggregate winners of the tie qualify for next year's finals in Brazil.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24537467" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24537467</a>

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
Ethiopia over Germany? Not a chance and every man and his dog back in Addis Ababa know it as well. In couple of years he'll be playing alongside Özil and Gnabry for the German national team and at the end of the day that's what will convince him to choose his birth country over his father's country of birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom