Zel Time has come

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by yuvken, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Taylor Gang Gunners

Taylor Gang Gunners Shame is a dish best served cold Trusted

You know what, Jury is ****ing hilarious :lol:.

Well no! Now I'm jealous, the amount of glory you must've witnessed growing up :lol:. You got to see Wrighty and Denis at their peaks, live! You don't know how good you've got it. Last time we won something I was 10!

2. Anzac

Anzac Active Member

Nope - I'm out here in The Antipodes - hence my user name.
    I've NEVER seen us play in the flesh,
    and I never got to watch us play with any regularity re pay TV until after 2006 - and I am currently without it for the 3rd time since then (priorities re family etc).

We only saw the FA Cup & WC Final as the only games shown on TV, let alone 'live'. The 1st WC they showed the Finals was '78 & I wagged school to watch the Final live. Anfield decider '89 was the 1st league game shown and live on pay TV.

As a 5 yr old when I started playing we were on full size pitches with old leather lace up balls in the mud in the middle of winter.
    Part of growing up in an environment where football is not amongst the top half dozen sports, and there was no coverage/interest until the '82 WC campaign.

I played for 20 years for school/club etc but the closest I got to any coaching in those days was kick & chase & running laps around the pitch. I learnt more from kicking a ball around with mates.

I'm jealous of the coverage and environment you guys grow up in,
    and in the amount of knowledge available via the interweb etc,
    none of which was around when I was still playing,
    and now I no longer have the time to prioritise/enjoy.

Youth & Opportunity are wasted on the young etc?
    Don't get me wrong - it is what it is and it's nothing more than just that.
    But our age alone does not mean that we've actually been able to witness past glories as much as circumstance and opportunity.

3. Arsenal in Aus

Arsenal in Aus Active Member

Amen brother.

4. DJ_Markstar

DJ_Markstar Well-Known Member

:lol:

Sick burn.

5. silent_shadow

silent_shadow Well-Known Member

Shares a dressing room with Rosicky as well...

6. SiMamu

SiMamu Part time Leeds fan

[​IMG]

7. trunks206

trunks206 New Member

Likely will be representing the US as he's applied for US citizenship.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/12/30/gedion-zelalem-usa-citizen-usmnt-arsenal-germany-klinsmann" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/12 ... -klinsmann</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good move as he isnt going to get time in midfield with Germany in ages, Klinsmann loves German-American footballers (Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson and Julian Green) and as he's shown with De'Andre Yedlin and Green he will give you chance to shine, even on the biggest stage, regardless of age if he rates you.

He could really grow into the playmaker CM role ala a young Cesc for the US, as we dont really have one, but you have to feel he just wont get that shot for Arsenal any time soon with how stacked we are with playmakers in midfield in term of quality and age as they are all pretty young bar Rosicky.

He looks a big talent but sadly I feel for him to shine he'll have to move away from AFC to get the required game time to push on.

Sucks we went out out of the CC so early and are trying to claw our way back into the CL places as we wont get to see much of him (or any of our other youngsters) this season.

8. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Member

The future of Arsenal, the future of America! Glory, glory, hallelujah, His truth is marching on!

9. THunter

THunter NOT In A Caravan Trusted

Oh for **** sake, thought we'd got rid of you.

10. Iceman10

Iceman10 Well-Known Member

He's in a bit of a plateau at the moment tbf. Hopefully the arrival of Bielik (assuming the transfer goes through) helps in allowing him to refocus his game around his strengths.

11. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians Who Show Great Character

11 pages on a youngster that has barely kicked s ball in anger.

Let him get on with things without the pressure of being the next Cesc, americas next hope etc etc.

12. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

He's fine. The the peaks and troughs of his progress hava been normal so far.

Look what standard he has to get to beofre he plays regularly though. It's always a big ask for any kid at a club with big players. It might be a good idea to get him ot on loan to Watford or something next season.

13. 9jagooner

9jagooner Well-Known Member

I personally don't think Zel is ready and doesn't look like he'll be ready to play consistently for us in another 2 years.

IMO Olsson is ahead of him though he's left the club now. Two midfield players in the youth squad who have been more consistent than Zel - Crowley and Niles.

14. a_fourteen

a_fourteen Well-Known Member

Now that Zelalem has accepted US citizenship, won't he need a work permit?

15. Toast

Toast Well-Known Member

^ He has a dual nationality now, no?

16. a_fourteen

I don't know. What are the rules? It's all so confusing.

17. Toast

Toast Well-Known Member

^ Yeah, it's confusing as hell. I found this article that explains it all pretty well:

<a class="postlink" href="http://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2014/9/30/6865371/arsenal-gedion-zelalem-united-states-citizenship-usmnt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2014/9 ... ship-usmnt</a>

18. Arsenal1508

Arsenal1508 Mods are unethical! Ozil, come assist me please!

Two passports. German passport allows him to work in UK.

19. a_fourteen

Thanks bro

20. North5

North5 Here since 2009. Still no custom title.

So people think he had no citizenship before applying for the US one at 17? :lol: