• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Zel Time has come

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Looks like one of those types who has more time than others on the field. Another interesting thing for me, this kid looks like he could slot into any one of our midfield slots.

musicmonkey

Established Member
I'm really looking forward to seeing this crop of youngsters, it feels like we've really changed it up recently and gone full on for technical players regardless of size or pace.

I love the way he finds space, he seems able to keep himself 5 yards clear of the opposition when deeper yet is completely comfortable when he pushes up where there's less space. Even if he is caught out he's read it and got his body in the way, it took Jack a season or two to realise when to but your body between the ball to take a foul.

He also moves the ball at really good pace. Outside of his physique, which imo he's got the skill set to get away with, he's very well rounded. That's going to help him get his foot in the door.

Floating

Established Member
Does anyone know how tall this kid is? Looks about 5'11 or 6' at age 16. When he fills out his frame he could be an absolute monster for us.

Inthe blood

Established Member
Great signs for the future, can only hope he continues on his path... some quality attributes as has been mentioned.

He has more to his game at the age 16 than most of his counterparts at youth level, but certainly hasn't shown enough to merit comparisons to any of the greats. Not sure how anyone can make such comparisons with such limited exposure.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
Zelalem, whoa. Zelalem, whoa. He comes from...

Ethiopia? We're gonna need a different song.

And we ARE going to need a song for him. He's gonna be one of the finest players of his generation.

Gunner_Brody

Will be interesting to see what country he chooses to paly for when the time comes. German and Ethiopian blood from America. He looks certainly exciting and it all looks rather natural at the moment which is of course exciting now we just have to hope he keeps his head down and works hard and doesnt let the hype get to him but im sure his advisors will be telling him that. i still dont expect to see much of him this season really apart from the early stages of the CC but looks an exciting prospect. while on the topic of exciting youngsters i really hope we see more of eisfeld whenever ive seen him hes looked very good.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Zelalem looks around 5'10 should end up close to 6'0 and he will choose either German or US NT, he's playing for German youth team so if he does well he will probably choose Germany

evoh_1

Established Member
Seriously this thread can do one, players like Gnabry may be close to CC gaems but this kid is far from ready for regular adult football let alone talking about his prospects.

yuvken

Established Member
evoh_1 said:
Seriously this thread can do one, players like Gnabry may be close to CC gaems but this kid is far from ready for regular adult football let alone talking about his prospects.
Oh? the thread can do one? what's the thread done to you? did it tell you he's ready for more than you say he is? did you see anyone call for him to play in the first team? do you not like when your team discovers a gem for the future? do you see 16 year old talents of that magnitude on a regular basis? and what's wrong with talking about his prospects?

And there's always the thought that, if all this doesn't appeal to you - you can avoid the thread. Do not participate in the discussion. You know what I'm tempted to say, right?

Uncle Mike

Established Member
yuvken said:
evoh_1 said:
Oh? the thread can do one? what's the thread done to you? did it tell you he's ready for more than you say he is? did you see anyone call for him to play in the first team? do you not like when your team discovers a gem for the future? do you see 16 year old talents of that magnitude on a regular basis? and what's wrong with talking about his prospects?

And there's always the thought that, if all this doesn't appeal to you - you can avoid the thread. Do not participate in the discussion. You know what I'm tempted to say, right?
In England, he waste time reading thread.

In Russia, thread waste time reading him.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I've seen it in this kid. Some do, some don't. Doesn't take long if you know what you're looking for. The fact he was taken away with the squad on tour should give you a clue.

I'll wage with anyone that he'll be a first team regular no later than 6 months past his 19th birthday.

evoh_1

Established Member
yuvken said:
evoh_1 said:

It all part of the Jam tomorrow way of thinking this club has got us into though with this youth prospect being the next big thing and in a few years we will have more money than bayern munich etc etc etc. On top of that I don't think he looks that interesting as a player personally and we have all seen talented players who haven't stepped up so with this kid I just don't care.

Ollson looks as good as this kid and Gnabry and Bellerin are miles ahead in talent yet still just on the cusp of first team action, I don't see the point here unless its over the hype machine of how the kid arrived at arsenal.

Cruisio

Established Member
I need just one more game, just one more game and i'll know if he's got it or not to make it here

Enfield

Established Member
We can all probably spot star material after a few minutes. It didn’t take long looking at Cesc or Jack for example to realise they had it. However the difference between the people who have it AND make it and the people who don’t make it is in the top 6 inches. How many of you can psychologically analyse him via youtube or predict how he will react to physical intimidation or to being famous or to high pressure situations.

That’s right, no one can so lets stop saying whether or not he will be a star and just wish the best for the kid who has had a rough youth

yuvken

Established Member
evoh_1 said:
It all part of the Jam tomorrow way of thinking this club has got us into though with this youth prospect being the next big thing and in a few years we will have more money than bayern munich etc etc etc. On top of that I don't think he looks that interesting as a player personally and we have all seen talented players who haven't stepped up so with this kid I just don't care.

Ollson looks as good as this kid and Gnabry and Bellerin are miles ahead in talent yet still just on the cusp of first team action, I don't see the point here unless its over the hype machine of how the kid arrived at arsenal.
The only problem with the "jam tomorrow" way of thinking is if it comes on the account of doing our best today. We seem to be (getting) out of the dark now - is it even relevant if the first team is good?
"in a few years more money...etc" - well, we do. yoopi. Things fall into place.
If there's a paradise for a football club, it is when you know it's aiming for the top right now, and still building the next wave. If you don't, you know the fall is imminent. A really good club will keep building it - if possible it'll strive to improve it all the time. Getting the top players for tomorrow is key, in that light - moaning about it is just stupid. Nothing more to it.
"he doesn't look that interesting as a player" - well, that's legit. Should have said so from the off: if indeed he's nothing special, then all this discussion is irrelevant, and all the efforts are futile, and priorities misplaced. But here (and I have no assurances, obviously) I just think you are dead wrong. Time will tell.
"Ollson looks as good as this kid" - no. No he doesn't. Olsson is talented, but I'd be very surprised if he actually made it with us. He can make it in the PL though.
"Gnabry and Bellerin are miles ahead in talent" - I love Serge, and think his talent is very special. But even he is not higher in my ranking than Gedzel. Bellerin? miles ahead in talent?
"I don't see the point here unless its over the hype machine of how the kid arrived at arsenal" - I do agree with you, sort of, that the order is not necessarily in favor of Zelalem: it's not just a matter of talent, it's also where on your development you really are. Your point is stronger regarding Gnabry, for instance, than Bellerin (who is older, but is far from ready) or Akpom. Even Ice, the oldest and seemingly readiest, is not really there. But the bad part of this last bit is the assumption that all we do is out of wishful thinking and stupidity: it's the hype, nothing else.

Well, it could be many things - some have to do with planning the development path of a player long term. Like many of these guys got to taste CL minutes, even though no one in their right mind believed they were less than 2-3 years from ready for it. But when you are sure you have someone you are preparing for the big stage, you could have many good reasons to let him taste it.
Then there is the thought that he just might do a cesc after all - he might speed through the early stages, and get to a level where we see these passes in each and every game. If that was possible - say, in a year from now (or earlier: during this CoC campaign) - is it still misguided to fast track him (if that could even be considered fast tracking: it's just "appropriate").

You said "with this kid I just don't care". It shows.

yuvken

Established Member
Enfield said:
it is in the top 6 inches...
so lets stop saying whether or not he will be a star and just wish the best for the kid who has had a rough youth
1. "it" being in the top 6 inches doesn't mean we can't try to gauge that as well, and the whole picture. Why the hell not? because some of the mental parts are missing (like intimidation of big bad Pl defenders or a cold February night in stoke)? There are always bits missing, and no one in their right minds pretends any of this is much more than guessing. Yet guess we do, and at times we get it quite right (some more than others).
The missing part being in "the 6 inches" doesn't make it particularly interesting. And it is not even true that part of the mental thing is not visible (keeps cool in possession, knows how to buy himself time, 2 full debuts are all we know - and still mesmerizing, Indonesian No 5 throwing him 8 yards away, brush himself off - this goes on, if you want).

2. I don't think people are busy saying he'll be a star - even I (one of the main hype culprits) didn't imply that. We are just talking about the amazing talent, at this point.
That it's tempting to take it further in our imagination - "amazing talent" + "age and experience" = "a star" - sure. But if you take even this part away, one starts wondering what 's the point. See a bright talent, and you don't dare to dream, you don't fantasize - dude, let go. It's football. We love it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom