• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Zidane: France will beat England

asajoseph

Established Member
I must be one of the few people in the country who GENUINELY believes that England have a good a chance as any of winning this competition. Apart from in goal, and perhaps right back, we have genuinely world class players in EVERY position. Terry? Campbell? Gerrard? Lampard? Beckham? Owen? I think that any team we meet needs to treat us with a great deal of respect...

JazzG

Established Member
The only players who can lay a claim to being world class is Gerrard imo. The rest are very good players but certainly not world class. A few were in the past e.g. Scholes and Beckham but not now. Players like Lampard also are good but not that great. We have played them 5 times and every match he was average at best, against the mancs and Liverpool again average. He is a good midfielder with a very good shot imo.

I'm very harsh, I don't rate many people world class. That phrase is thrown about way too often for my liking.

asajoseph

Established Member
I disaggree, I think that the Terry/Campbell partnership is a better partnership than perhaps any other country can offer (with the exception of Italy). I think we get dazzled all to easily by foreign names in this country... Gerrard is certainly world class, and whilst Lampard is unproven on the world stage, I really think he's got the talent.

When it comes to Beckham, there are none better at doing what he does (i.e. free kicks, long range passing, crossing). Yes, he is limited in other areas, but I still think he will be able to play a big part for England, and having been at Madrid this year, is one player we can count on 100% not being overawed by big name players.

I aggree with you on Scholes, although I don't think he's lost it entirely, it just depends which Paul Scholes turns up on the day...

Owen also is a hot and cold player for Liverpool, but for England he consistently produces the goods. Even Rooney, who I believe is one of the hottest (if not THE hottest) teenage talent in world football, COULD provide an X-factor for England this summer.

Adam

Established Member
The phrase is annoyingly ambiguous, as it has no definition.

Some people believe it is whether the player would get into a "world 11"- ridiculous, isn't it?

Sol Campbell deserves to be rated highly for what he has acheived in leading the best defence in the league, even though things collectively in Europe have not been as solid. Gerrard also has to prove he can mix it in Europe like he does in the league - he certainly needs to lay that ghost to rest as i have seen the likes of Baraja at Valencia, and Cocu at Barca show that his tempo and aggressive play does not compete with their composed and intelligent play. The short game passing could be improved for Gerrard in comparison to these guys.

JazzG

Established Member
Terry and Campbell are a good partnership but not world class, well not yet anyway.

Beckham hasn't been at his best for a long long time. I saw loads of him in the 98/99 season and he was simply outstanding. It was mind boggling how a man could put in inch perfect crosses so consistantly. HOWEVER he hasn't played at that level for a LONG time now. He had a point to prove after WC98 so gave it his all, never has reached those kind of levels again.

patrick42uk

Established Member
i'm surprised he has pointed out the defence, but i guess ashley cole and neville can be considered weak links. IMO england's problem is larger than a single department. its the lack of flair/creativity in the team, lack of a collective style of playing, lack of a winger, and overdependence on owen. in terms of squad comparison, zidane has every right to be confident. but football has thrown up bigger surprises than england beating france, like england beating germany 5-1 :D

skart14

I would think that the neville sissy would be the weak link in the england back four...furthermore that is where the french would be attacking...doesn't look good for england.. :p

Taozhe

England can reach quarters or semies at best ... seriously ... with lack of squad depth .... no SWPhillips and Scott Parker .. hmm .... what can we do? :p

brianfrance

Established Member
Strange thing - if one French player was never arrogant, it's Zizou. Really i'm surprised to see him talk like that.

By the way I saw Bobby on the French TV this night, and a french actor said "do we have chance for the euro?" bobby answered with a very large smile "oh yes!!"

brianfrance

Established Member
And by the way, Terry-Campbell IMO is a great CB duo - but any French duo with Thuram is better (Thuram-Desailly, so experienced to play together, Thuram-Gallas; Gallas is a hard worker and always listen Thuram; Thuram-Silvestre, Silvestre got great experience at Milan and Manchester, he's really a great CB)

Sammer

Established Member
On a good day (for France) France will beat England comfortably.

The french team is so damn well-rehearsed, when you see them play. Remember that the heart of the team (Zizou, Thuram, Pires, Viera, Henry, Trezeguet, Lizarazu) has been playing together for years now. They know their moves, they can perfectly rely on each other.

Whereas the England team still has to get accustomed to each other and prove itself on an international level.
Still, in terms of the quality of players England are a strong side, that could actually make it to the final, if they managae to play with grit and create team spirit.

It could well be - just like in this years CL final (or like the WC 2002) - that the so-called favorites will be thrown out early.

Sammer

Established Member
Well, i just read the article and to be honest - this doesn´t sound like Zizou at all... I would seriously question that he´d say things like this - especially about the english defense.

Aussie

Established Member
Sammer said:
Well, i just read the article and to be honest - this doesn´t sound like Zizou at all... I would seriously question that he´d say things like this - especially about the english defense.

Sammer your not saying that reporters may have twisted his words. They dont do that do they :?:

KingReyes

Established Member
JazzG said:
The only players who can lay a claim to being world class is Gerrard imo. The rest are very good players but certainly not world class. A few were in the past e.g. Scholes and Beckham but not now. Players like Lampard also are good but not that great. We have played them 5 times and every match he was average at best, against the mancs and Liverpool again average. He is a good midfielder with a very good shot imo.

I'm very harsh, I don't rate many people world class. That phrase is thrown about way too often for my liking.

I would add Sol Campbell to that list. IMO to be world class there has to be a certain level of consistency in your game and also being able to carry a team when possible. Campbell is by far the most consistent alongside Henry,Pires,Vieira etc at Arsenal and rarely has a bad game either in the EPL or CL. He is very solid at the back and makes minimum mistakes, there aren't many better CB's around.

From the England squad both Sol and Gerrard have been the most consistent when it comes to top level performances for club and country and have such a strong influence for their respective teams. Thats why I would add Sol alongside Stevie G to being World Class.

SuperBob

I woudn't say Gerrard is world class, he's had 1 fantastic season but I haven't seen him in the champions league to prove it, remmeber the stick he was getting i think at the beginning of the 02/03 season? I would rate Scholes as been a world class midfielder even the french boys reckon his bar far the there best player. And Campell as a world class defender that's all.

thegame24

Established Member
If france play the way they can and also put pires on the left with Henry then they will whoop england.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom