• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Zidane-Gerrard is the best player in the world.

Alfonso

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1161649/Zidane-Forget-Ronaldo-Messi-best-player-world-Liverpool-star-Gerrard.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rrard.html</a>

Do not entirely agree with Zizou. However, Gerrard is definately one of the best players in the world and without a shadow of doubt is world class. On his day he is the best midfielder in the league. He just has to show it in England colours before he gets full recognition.

ricky1985

Established Member
Stretfordender said:
Overrated and a Scouse ****.

How many league titles has he won? Oh that's right, none.

Do me a favour, overrated? If you want to see an overrated scouse **** look no further than your own number 10.

Offensively, Ronaldo is the only player in your team that can even claim to be on Gerrard's level.

-vapour-

Hahaha only a Manc...

I really rate Gerrard. He is the heart and soul of the Liverpool team, without him they wouldn't have won nearly as many trophies. FA Cup against West Ham and Champions League against AC Milan come to mind.

IMO if anything he is underrated and that is mainly because of his inability to capture the same level of form for England as he does for Club. I blame Fat Frank.

Stretfordender

ricky1985 said:
Stretfordender said:
Overrated and a Scouse ****.

How many league titles has he won? Oh that's right, none.

Do me a favour, overrated? If you want to see an overrated scouse **** look no further than your own number 10.

Offensively, Ronaldo is the only player in your team that can even claim to be on Gerrard's level.

Ridiculous statement. Scholes is by far a better player thn Gerrard, even at the age of 34. It's funny how Livepool have all these 'great players', yet NEVER actully end up winning the league..funny that.

And as for Rooney being overrated, think again. He's the most talented player in the England squad by some distance. I hate Scousers, but even I have admit Rooney is the first name I look out for in the United team sheet.

ibby

Established Member
Stretfordender said:
Ridiculous statement. Scholes is by far a better player thn Gerrard, even at the age of 34.

That's just silly. However, without Mascherano and Alonso, Gerrard wouldn't be half the player, much like Fabregas, he needs his partners to shoulder a lot of the defensive responsibility for him to do what he likes.

And as for Rooney being overrated, think again. He's the most talented player in the England squad by some distance. I hate Scousers, but even I have admit Rooney is the first name I look out for in the United team sheet.

I agree that Rooney isn't overrated anymore, he is probably United's most important attacker.

-vapour- said:
IMO if anything he is underrated and that is mainly because of his inability to capture the same level of form for England as he does for Club. I blame Fat Frank.

He has failed to recapture his form for England because he doesn't have Alonso and Mascherano.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot
Zidane : Are you serious? :lol:

I am not sure how he did not mention Kaka or Messi so close to that best player tag. :?

Unforgiven

Established Member
Gerrard can score some spectacular goals, and think that is the main part of his game which people remember. The best player in the world cannot just be scoring from long shots all the time. He has great moral for liverpool and is one of the best in the world but he is not the best.

He is the best in the world at being modest and not making eye contact with the camera after a game.

ricky1985

Established Member
Stretfordender said:
Ridiculous statement. Scholes is by far a better player thn Gerrard, even at the age of 34.

O-H M-Y G-O-D-! Scholes a better player than Gerrard. You really are good for a laugh sometimes. Not biased at all you, are ya.

Stretfordender said:
It's funny how Livepool have all these 'great players', yet NEVER actully end up winning the league..funny that.

I couldn't give a toss about Liverpool to be honest with you.

Stretfordender said:

Thought again and he's still overrated, massively overrated. So because you hate scousers but love Rooney that's proof he's a great player, right? Hard work doesn't equate to being a great player. Although your opinion is obviously going to be clouded on both Rooney and Gerrard - and it is.

ibby

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Thought again and he's still overrated, massively overrated. So because you hate scousers but love Rooney that's proof he's a great player, right? Hard work doesn't equate to being a great player. Although your opinion is obviously going to be clouded on both Rooney and Gerrard - and it is.

Can you elaborate further on this please. He played a vital part in United's back to back titles and has improved from season to season. As far as I can see, the general consensus now is that Rooney is a very good player and is not far from becoming "great".

ricky1985

Established Member
He's scored 9 goals this season, in a team that has dominated practically every game they have played in.

He was absolutely anonymous at the sharp end of the Champions League last season, and was generally completely eclipsed by the performances and achievments of Cristiano Ronaldo throughout last season.

He is the picture boy for the Premier league and Sky Sports hype-machine, and if he were Argentinian and playing for United people would relaise he's not even as good as Carlos Tevez.

He's got talent, and does the odd amazing thing. A great pass or strike, but the ridiculously low frequency is what stops him being a great player. Usually when he scores it's against Fulham or Middlesborough, and he is so easily marked out of a game when he faces top, top opposition.

He doesn't have the pace, or a quick enough brain to really cut it at the top. He doesn't have any 'world class' attributes that enables him to effect matches at the very top level, not on a consistent basis anyway. Put this Wayne Rooney, the one with reduced pace, energy, and robustness from his teenage years, into Everton's team of today and he wouldn't even really stand-out in my opinion, becuase he wouldn't be playing for a team that absolutely dominated it's opponents.

If he is such a very good/almost great player, why, when his team have won the League title two years on the trot, and the Champions League last season hasn't he been named in any of the 'team of the season'/'team of the tournament', or even shortlisted for the WPOTY, or EFOTY? If he was so good then there would be a public outcry at his omission from such lists, such is his overhyped, over-blown Sky Sports's golden boy reputation. I didn't hear anyone complaining, becuase deep down they know he is the epitome of an overpaid, overhyped, under-performing, out of shape modern day English footballer.

ibby

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
He's scored 9 goals this season, in a team that has dominated practically every game they have played in.

In 34 games this season he has scored 16 goals, you're right, in the league he has scored 9 goals, but in 21 games, nearly a goal every other game. A pretty good record for someone that plays a withdrawn role.

He was absolutely anonymous at the sharp end of the Champions League last season, and was generally completely eclipsed by the performances and achievments of Cristiano Ronaldo throughout last season.

Yeah, Cristiano Ronaldo had a great season, Rooney had a very good one, I think everyone knows that.

He is the picture boy for the Premier league and Sky Sports hype-machine, and if he were Argentinian and playing for United people would relaise he's not even as good as Carlos Tevez.

Carlos Tevez has been hugely disappointing for United, hence the reason they are probably going to let him go if his performances don't improve.

He's got talent, and does the odd amazing thing. A great pass or strike, but the ridiculously low frequency is what stops him being a great player. Usually when he scores it's against Fulham or Middlesborough, and he is so easily marked out of a game when he faces top, top opposition.

Eh? Strange comment from an Arsenal fan, considering how many times has he scored against us.

He doesn't have the pace, or a quick enough brain to really cut it at the top. He doesn't have any 'world class' attributes that enables him to effect matches at the very top level, not on a consistent basis anyway. Put this Wayne Rooney, the one with reduced pace, energy, and robustness from his teenage years, into Everton's team of today and he wouldn't even really stand-out in my opinion, becuase he wouldn't be playing for a team that absolutely dominated it's opponents.

If he is such a very good/almost great player, why, when his team have won the League title two years on the trot, and the Champions League last season hasn't he been named in any of the 'team of the season'/'team of the tournament', or even shortlisted for the WPOTY, or EFOTY? If he was so good then there would be a public outcry at his omission from such lists, such is his overhyped, over-blown Sky Sports's golden boy reputation. I didn't hear anyone complaining, becuase deep down they know he is the epitome of an overpaid, overhyped, under-performing, out of shape modern day English footballer.

All irrelevant apart from the first line, which is wrong. Did you watch the Champions League final last year?

ricky1985

Established Member
I can only see 13 goals this season. 9 in the League, 1 in the cup and 3 in Champions league. Or are you counting the 'World' club Championship, don't know if he scored in that or not.

As for Tevez, he has hardly had the same consistent game time as Rooney. It must be very difficult to be him becuase you watch Rooney doing **** all and getting adoration for it, constantly stripping you of a starting place. I don't understand why Ferguson bought Tevez, it is obvious that they couldn't really play together, not at the top level anyway, so it was always going to be one or the other, and what with Rooney being Ferguson's love child from an away trip to Anfield in the 1980's. there was only ever going to be one winner.

So you glaze over my point about Rooney being absolutely anonymous towards the end of the Champions League. So much so that he was taken off in the final with Man Uinted desperately searching for a winner in extra-time.

Anyway you continue your Rooney love-in. I'm not being biased, I can say Ronaldo is a great plyer, Rio and Vidic are great players, but Rooney simply isn't. He's a good player, playing for the best team, scoring the bulk of his goals against **** opposition, who have been totally dominated by a very good Man United team.

JazzG

Established Member
Stretfordender said:
Ridiculous statement. Scholes is by far a better player thn Gerrard, even at the age of 34. It's funny how Livepool have all these 'great players', yet NEVER actully end up winning the league..funny that.

Paul Scholes, under-rated by non Man utd fans but hideously over-rated by Man utd fans. To say Scholes right now is better than Gerrard is laughable, the odd good game here or there doesn't mean he is still in the top bracket your best midfielder this season has been Carrick and even Giggs is having a better season than Scholes.

Do great players have to win trophies in order to be great? Alan Shearer won one PL in his career does that mean someone like Andy Cole is better than him because he won more trophies? Phil Neville has won more trophies than Gerrard, does that mean he is a better midfield player? Nesta has only won one serie a title in his career, Cannavaro has never won the Italian league so does that mean David May is better? Cannavaro was a man mountain in Italy but looked very ropey in Spain yet has two league trophies there.

ibby said:
Can you elaborate further on this please. He played a vital part in United's back to back titles and has improved from season to season. As far as I can see, the general consensus now is that Rooney is a very good player and is not far from becoming "great".

He is very injury prone for starters and he is pretty far from being great in my opinion. What do you define a great player by? I think he needs to have a few great seasons before we label that tag on him. So far for Man utd he hasn't really dominated a season, he has been superb in patches and then his form will dry up or he will get injured. His best season for me was in 05/06 when they didn't win anything. Good player and he is only young but I wouldn't

ricky1985

Established Member
ibby said:
All irrelevant apart from the first line, which is wrong. Did you watch the Champions League final last year?

Ok, you live in your own little world mate. Rooney was fantastic in the final, brilliant in fact. What a player that Rooney is.

ibby

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
I can only see 13 goals this season. 9 in the League, 1 in the cup and 3 in Champions league. Or are you counting the 'World' club Championship, don't know if he scored in that or not.

Minus that and the internationals Rooney has scored 13 in 31 games, still a good record for a player that plays in a withdrawn role.

As for Tevez, he has hardly had the same consistent game time as Rooney. It must be very difficult to be him becuase you watch Rooney doing f**k all and getting adoration for it, constantly stripping you of a starting place. I don't understand why Ferguson bought Tevez, it is obvious that they couldn't really play together, not at the top level anyway, so it was always going to be one or the other, and what with Rooney being Ferguson's love child from an away trip to Anfield in the 1980's. there was only ever going to be one winner.

Please start watching United more, Tevez has been given more than enough chances to prove his worth and has failed each time, before the start of the season the management along with the fans thought that this was going to be his breakthrough season because last summer was the first summer he had off during his time in England, he has since then failed to prove his worth.

So you glaze over my point about Rooney being absolutely anonymous towards the end of the Champions League. So much so that he was taken off in the final with Man Uinted desperately searching for a winner in extra-time.

I "glazed over your point" because it is ludicrous and has nothing to do with how good he is, for example, apart from the one season when we reached the final, how many times was Henry anonymous in the knock-out stages? Or Vieira when he was here, or Pires, I could go on. And Rooney was far from anonymous, he scored against Roma and played well against Chelsea in the final. The reason he came off was because he was bloody knackered and looked like he was injured.

Anyway you continue your Rooney love-in. I'm not being biased, I can say Ronaldo is a great plyer, Rio and Vidic are great players, but Rooney simply isn't. He's a good player, playing for the best team, scoring the bulk of his goals against s**t opposition, who have been totally dominated by a very good Man United team.

Okay, now you're worrying me, I never said he was a "great" player.

And please end this talk of scoring against "**** teams". This season he has scored against Croatia, Chelsea, Manchester City, Wigan, Fulham (twice) and Celtic. So 7 of his goals this season came against either the second best team in the country, the best team in Scotland, a good international side and sides in the top 10. :roll:

Top Bottom