• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

skip spence

Stopped reading when it suited you. Larsson was one of a kind and that's after a broken leg that would have ended the career of most normal people.

Anyway. You can have your opinion. Larsson is one of the greatest strikers I've ever seen. Simply outstanding. I don't think there was a fault in his game which is why Ferguson still signed him at 35.
Come on man I stopped reading because it was silly. Old Fergie liked Larsson as a player and a character and so do I but that says nothing about his merits as a player compared to Zlatan. Larsson came to United at about the same age as Zlatan is now and everyone was impressed that he still held his own and looked pretty good. If Zlatan joins them he will be expected to carry the team, to turn their fortunes around on his own. But enough of this, I love them both.

I won't even get mad if Z does join United since I think he has one or a couple of good years left in him at top level and hope he wont leave Europe just yet. And since his ego won't allow for a pay-cut, Arsenal is out of the question.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Stopped reading when it suited you. Larsson was one of a kind and that's after a broken leg that would have ended the career of most normal people.

Anyway. You can have your opinion. Larsson is one of the greatest strikers I've ever seen. Simply outstanding. I don't think there was a fault in his game which is why Ferguson still signed him at 35.

Fergie added: “We acquired a real aristocrat, for a two-month spell at any rate. Jim Lawlor, United’s chief scout, pointed out to us that it was a waste for Henrik Larsson to be playing in Sweden when he still had so much to offer.

“Helsingborgs would not sell him but I asked Jim to ask their chairman what he would think about him coming on loan in January. Henrik pushed the boat in that direction with his employers.

“On arrival at United, he seemed a bit of a cult figure with our players. They would say his name in awed tones. For a man of 35, his receptiveness to information on the coaching side was amazing.

At every session he was rapt. He wanted to listen to Carlos Queiroz, the tactics lectures, he was into every nuance of what we did. In training he was superb, his movement, his positional play. His three goals for us was no measure of his contribution.

“In his last game in our colours at Middlesbrough we were winning 2-1 and Henrik went back to play in midfield and ran his balls off. On his return to the dressing room, all the players stood up and applauded him and the staff joined in. It takes some player to make that kind of impact in two months.

“Cult status can vanish in two minutes if a player isn’t doing his job yet Henrik retained that aura. He looked a natural Man United player with his movement and courage. He also had a great spring for a little lad.”

More or less the same was said about him at Barcelona. Larsson was an outstanding player who impacted positively wherever he went.

Fantastic read, thanks for sharing. I recall Sir Alex even comparing his influence to Cantona.

If only we signed him during his Celtic years...

“If there’s one regret I have from my career, it’s that I came home to Sweden when Mr Ferguson was trying to get me to stay at Manchester United” he admitted.

“I should have stayed at United for longer because I had a great time there and everyone at the club was very keen to keep me.”

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

This is like saying Trezeguet was better than Henry. Good grief.
Not really. Some may prefer Trezeguet to play a certain position or system over Henry. But if that's your opinion that's your opinion. Larsson had much rounded ability, scored goals, was a much more selfless humble player. That to me makes him a better player. It's why many view Messi as a better player than Ronaldo as he is a much more likeable team player.

Anyway on point. Seems like Zlatan isn't coming here and I'd love him here. We should throw money at him and let him choose rather than not trying at all.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Not really. Some may prefer Trezeguet to play a certain position or system over Henry. But if that's your opinion that's your opinion. Larsson had much rounded ability, scored goals, was a much more selfless humble player. That to me makes him a better player. It's why many view Messi as a better player than Ronaldo as he is a much more likeable team player.

Anyway on point. Seems like Zlatan isn't coming here and I'd love him here. We should throw money at him and let him choose rather than not trying at all.
Fair enough. I agree Larsson was more of a "team" player but talent wise IMO Zlatan is on another planet. To do what he can do with a football at his size is absolutely amazing. He's a freak of nature. How many other men of 6 foot 5 have the fluidity that Zlatan does? The guy is bigger than Giroud but dribbles like Cristiano. I don't think there's ever been a talent quite like Zlatan. He's not a Messi, CR7, R9, Ronaldinho or Henry level player but he's pretty darn special. I just don't quite think Larsson was that kind of prodigious talent. He was great though.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Do people really think this will happen? This is a name that belongs in the wishlist. It is not happening. Not now, not ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom