• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

A thread for everything Fabregas related

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Either Ivan doesn't know his transfers or this "quote" was incorrect. Bellerin came to arsenal in 2011 BTW, same time Cesc went the other way.

OK @GabeGooner solved the puzzle for us. We signed them (Toral/Bellerin) before Fabregas, owed them compensation which was to be agreed through tribunal and agreed it at 300k during the Fabregas negotiation. We always would of paid them a paltry sum but at the time they were saying they were both worth 10million, which everyone around here laughed at.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
We brought in Bellerín and Toral before Fàbregas left, but I believe Barcelona were going to take legal action against us at the time. As part of the Fàbregas deal we negotiated a settlement with Barcelona over the two players and ended-up giving Barça either £100k or £250k – something like that; I can't recall exactly.

In hindsight, it's nice to finally not feel ripped-off by the whole Fàbregas debacle. In the end, we've probably got a £15m player (for now at least) out of that deal; so when you add that to the £30m we got for Fàbregas, we've eventually ended-up getting close to his £50m market value at the time.

If it had gone to tribunal we always would of paid them very little for Bellerin and Toral mate. It wouldn't have gone over a million for a couple of 16yos

GabeGooner

If it had gone to tribunal we always would of paid them very little for Bellerin and Toral mate. It wouldn't have gone over a million for a couple of 16yos
Perhaps, perhaps not. Either way, we've come out of it all in good shape.

Shame about what happened with Fàbregas, but in reality, we were foolish; he wasn't loyal to Barcelona, we shouldn't have expected him to be loyal to us.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Perhaps, perhaps not. Either way, we've come out of it all in good shape.

Shame about what happened with Fàbregas, but in reality, we were foolish; he wasn't loyal to Barcelona, we shouldn't have expected him to be loyal to us.

We should have enforced his contract and told him he wasn't been sold below market value, but that's all in the past.

GabeGooner

We should have enforced his contract and told him he wasn't been sold below market value, but that's all in the past.
You do that and you have an unhappy player. You only have to look at the likes of Fernando Torres to see how players can be impacted by their environment. If Fàbregas was in a negative space, being forced to play for a team he didn't want to, he'd have been a shadow of the player we were trying to keep. He wanted to go home, which after 8 years at the club in a foreign league, is fair enough really. It's just a shame how it all came about and how it's all ended up.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
You do that and you have an unhappy player. You only have to look at the likes of Fernando Torres to see how players can be impacted by their environment. If Fàbregas was in a negative space, being forced to play for a team he didn't want to, he'd have been a shadow of the player we were trying to keep. He wanted to go home, which after 8 years at the club in a foreign league, is fair enough really. It's just a shame how it all came about and how it's all ended up.

Suarez wanted to leave 2 seasons in a row and still played in top form. I remember the days of Vieira pushing for a move every summer he still played at his best. Sometimes they have to be professionals, they're paid to do a job.

Wenger did seemingly promise to let Fabregas go back to Barce though, so it was a gentleman's agreement that Cesc honestly abused. Then there's the rumours of 'Cesc on strike'.

I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer here but Cesc and Barce did concoct to shaft us and we were in complete disarray in the immediate aftermath. We really should have had at least 50million to reinvest in players and because we didn't it really could have put us in a Liverpool like tailspin. We've done brilliantly to come out of the side of it.

GabeGooner

Suarez wanted to leave 2 seasons in a row and still played in top form. I remember the days of Vieira pushing for a move every summer he still played at his best. Sometimes they have to be professionals, they're paid to do a job.

Wenger did seemingly promise to let Fabregas go back to Barce though, so it was a gentleman's agreement that Cesc honestly abused. Then there's the rumours of 'Cesc on strike'.

I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer here but Cesc and Barce did concoct to shaft us and we were in complete disarray in the immediate aftermath. We really should have had at least 50million to reinvest in players and because we didn't it really could have put us in a Liverpool like tailspin. We've done brilliantly to come out of the side of it.
Vieira was a professional. Suárez might have performed well in his final season, but the guy deliberately bit Chiellini at the World Cup to force a move. Fàbregas went on strike. I personally, don't think it would have been the best thing to do.

And with regard to the rest of what you've said, there's no disagreement on any of that.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

The only problem and difference was Fabregas was the biggest personality in our team at the time . Would have been tough having the bloke most of the team looked up to sooking in the reserves.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Vieira never really pushed to leave, the Real move was there for two years and he was battling with himself whether to take it or not, having seen how Makelele was treated.

Sad stuff, because in the end he wanted to finish his career here but Wenger accepted a bid from Juventus.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
The 25-year-old's reported comments today inflamed an already tense stand-off. He said: "I need to leave because I want to win more trophies and I just cannot see that happening at Arsenal. Certainly not over the next few years, anyway. Comparing Arsenal to the big clubs in Europe this season is going to be quite ridiculous.

"I do not honestly see Arsenal finishing in the top five in the league - and you can forget the Champions League."

That wasn't even the first time he talked about leaving, long before Real's interest became public. We won the double that season by the way.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Vieira was talking smack as far back as 2001. When did he make the quote "you're not shopping at Harrods Mr Wenger"? It was definitely many seasons before he left.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Actions are meant to speak louder than words, so I don't get why Vieira quotes always come up against him. We were willing to sell him, he decided against the move himself. Unlike Henry an co. who might have stayed silent in public but pushed for a move behind the scene.

Mastadon

Established Member
Yeah it seemed like Vieira was pushing for a move from the moment he signed. Club legend and all but he always made himself out to be bigger than the club. Which he prob was at the time tbh would have been a fantastic signing for Real its mad how he ended up wasting his career at Juve.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Actions are meant to speak louder than words, so I don't get why Vieira quotes always come up against him. We were willing to sell him, he decided against the move himself. Unlike Henry an co. who might have stayed silent in public but pushed for a move behind the scene.
wrong. he did a deal with real and forced arsenal to accept. then when his buddy makelele got booted out he panicked and broke things off. he now openly says he shouldve left a year earlier for real instead of moving to juve.

Refo

Remember Wenger consoling Vieira after that 06 CL win. Wonder if he told Vieira 'I told you so'. Vieira looked on the verge of tears.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Vieira was a world class midfielder, coveted by Real at a time when Arsenal were nothing more than a tin pot type club in comparison, you have to excuse any doubts he had with his Arsenal career.

Vieira is also the man who said he would sign a 10 year deal if offered, wanted to finish his career here etc.

Keane questioned Utd, considered joining Bayern etc.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Also, I think some of his comments were in connection with our potential transfers after talks with Wenger.

Vieira was a great player, and a winner, he wasn't too impressed with the signings or budgets Wenger was working with. Big deal.

Interesting also, those comments were not really news at the time.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom