• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Theo Walcott: Sold to Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloista

When we're arguing money, I just want to remind people of a bit of history. At one point, Sylvain Wiltord was our record signing and among our highest earners. He was an important member of the squad but definitely not a nailed on starter. He played both up front and on the right flank. A lot of people said he wasn't good enough, he certainly wasn't close to our best player in either position, but he did what he was played to do.

Walcott constantly used to get compared to Henry, but let' be realistic, he's this squad's Wiltord. Useful and important to have around, but not the star. Personally I think he's fine for that.

sammyvine

When we're arguing money, I just want to remind people of a bit of history. At one point, Sylvain Wiltord was our record signing and among our highest earners. He was an important member of the squad but definitely not a nailed on starter. He played both up front and on the right flank. A lot of people said he wasn't good enough, he certainly wasn't close to our best player in either position, but he did what he was played to do.

Walcott constantly used to get compared to Henry, but let' be realistic, he's this squad's Wiltord. Useful and important to have around, but not the star. Personally I think he's fine for that.
wiltord was better though
he was more intelligent

Walcott is a low IQ player which is why his defficincies are apparant to everyone. Marcus Rashford has a higher IQ than Walcott

cloista

Wiltord was better, yes, and he'd be first choice by a country mile in this current squad. But our squad then was stupidly better in comparison. The role Wiltord played, and the role Theo SHOULD play, in my opinion, are comparable though. Theo isn't stupid either, the problem is when he gets more time to think if anything. He used to play far more on instinct and was much much better for it as it made him less predictable, he just comes across to me like the extra thinking time makes him second guess himself.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Why should his injuries be any excuse? The fact that he cannot control a ball or hides from passes? Is that due to his injuries? If he is reaching his peak now doesn't bode well. That peak sure isn't much to brag about...

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Why should his injuries be any excuse? The fact that he cannot control a ball or hides from passes? Is that due to his injuries? If he is reaching his peak now doesn't bode well. That peak sure isn't much to brag about...
Fancy taking time to recover from ACL reconstruction knee surgery, the bast*rd. He's played the full 90 minutes twice this season ffs, he should be on top form. Sick of these excuses.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Fancy taking time to recover from ACL reconstruction knee surgery, the bast*rd. He's played the full 90 minutes twice this season ffs, he should be on top form. Sick of these excuses.
It's an ACL injury and nothing more. It's not like they chopped off his leg. He had the injury in the beginning of 2014 and there has been plenty of time to get back and get into form. And it is also not like he was tearing up trees before he was injured.

As a club we need to weed out as many of the injury prone players as possible. Being injury prone is a negative characteristic for a professional player as was stated earlier in the thread and we need to get those that have that trait out of the squad unless there is a real upside which makes waiting worthwhile. I don't see that in Walcott.

karl

It is time for Arsène to find that brutal streak he once had if we are to win again. Players with inconsistent form and persistent injury records cannot be carried any longer.

Ten years really is enough to judge a player and Theo has had chance after chance. Amazingly for someone who's main quality is goal scoring, he has only scored 3 more than Giroud and that is over 6 extra seasons.

He cannot play wide any longer in the current system because there is defensive responsibility there and cannot be considered a striker to rely on. That makes him an expensive squad player.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It's an ACL injury and nothing more.

I think you might be underestimating the negative impact an ACL reconstruction can have on a player. Not saying that's the reason for Theo's apparent dip, but it's the sort of injury that can practically end a career. Theo done his at an age where it's pretty much touch and go. The same injury took a chunk off Arteta, ended Essiens career as a top class cmf and sent Falcao to the knackers yard. The list goes on. You've got to be very lucky to return from that injury 100%

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I think you might be underestimating the negative impact an ACL reconstruction can have on a player. Not saying that's the reason for Theo's apparent dip, but it's the sort of injury that can practically end a career. Theo done his at an age where it's pretty much touch and go. The same injury took a chunk off Arteta, ended Essiens career as a top class cmf and sent Falcao to the knackers yard. The list goes on. You've got to be very lucky to return from that injury 100%
Trust me I know the impact of ACL surgery having had them on both my knees following sports injuries. Of course they will have an impact (although that is getting less and less each year) but that is mainly on your speed and quickness. It took me about a year to get back to close what I was before the injuries, but that was quite a while ago. With the new surgical techniques they use now and the rehab support Walcott will have had it should be quicker unless you have setbacks in the healing process (infections etc.) which I don't think Walcott had. After the knee is healed and the muscles are back it is a matter of getting it out of your head and trusting the knee again.

But my point is that this is something Walcott needs to own. In my view it is not an excuse anymore. We need to stop allowing the players and our manager to get away with not owning their own lack of performance and continuously blaming outside factors.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Trust me I know the impact of ACL surgery having had them on both my knees following sports injuries. Of course they will have an impact (although that is getting less and less each year) but that is mainly on your speed and quickness. It took me about a year to get back to close what I was before the injuries, but that was quite a while ago. With the new surgical techniques they use now and the rehab support Walcott will have had it should be quicker unless you have setbacks in the healing process (infections etc.) which I don't think Walcott had. After the knee is healed and the muscles are back it is a matter of getting it out of your head and trusting the knee again.

But my point is that this is something Walcott needs to own. In my view it is not an excuse anymore. We need to stop allowing the players and our manager to get away with not owning their own lack of performance and continuously blaming outside factors.
Doesn't really change anything though does it? The injury can ruin a player regardless of the latest techniques. They've made no strides at all for about 25 years or more regarding the actual procedure; rehab has improved, but your genetic makeup is still a big factor.

Those players I mentioned, and others, all had the best treatment and rehab money can buy, but to no avail. It's still the scourge of the athlete in 2016. You don't just 'own' an injury. It either ****s you or you recover 100%.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

If we leave Wenger aside, how can Walcott 'own' his performance, unless you want him to say, 'Sorry I'm sh*te at the moment'. He'll be sold sooner or later if he stays like this. But that decision is not his to make.

You obviously feel he's taking too long to get any form back (whatever you think of his original talent as a player) - but is that by definition 'an excuse' - I don't really understand your point TBF.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I would have thought that a sports psychologist would have been brought in to help if Theo's problem is more in his mind. ACL's have reputation as a career killer but Pires managed to get over two of them and keep going to a decent level. Other players eg Ramsey have had bad injuries and managed to get back into top condition physically. I just feel that Theo hasn't worked to adapt his game recently and certainly not enough over the last 10 years. Physically he's looked liked he's not trying at times. I read an article about how he's been left behind as the RW role has evolved whilst he hasn't. Good shout by Jury about the players who have been ruined by an ACL. If this is the case with Theo,then we surely have to sell as pace was the asset around which his whole game was built. As we've all seen recently there's not a lot to his game without it.

chessygoal

Great post. People don't realize that with an ACL injury, your body change forever. When I had mine, I was amazed by the amount of things I had to re-learn. The physical part is easy to recover, but getting back to the same technical level when it comes to first touch, dribbling, shooting isn't easy at all.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Cause you were a professional footballer who had to goto training three days or four week plus a match or two every week. No comparison between an ordinary Joe and a professional footballer returning to the rigours of professional football.

Anyway. If Theo isn't reevaluating his career then he isn't a player I want around. He either has to step up massively in pre season or accept he has to move on. Losing your spot to Andros Townsend whose just been relegated is fairly embarrassing considering he plays for a team that just finished second in the league.

Last edited:

McIntyre

Established Member
Anyway. If Theo isn't reevaluating his career then he isn't a player I want around. He either has to step up massively in pre season or accept he has to move on. Losing your spot to Andros Townsend whose just been relegated is fairly embarrassing considering he plays for a team that just finished second in the league.

Finished second with barely any help from Theo.

5 goals and 2 assists in 15 starts and 13 sub appearances, playing alongside Özil, Sanchez, Cazorla and co.

Townsend scored 4 goals and got 2 assists in 12 starts and 1 sub appearance, playing for a relegation side alongside Colback, Shelvey, Cisse and co.

Walcott is a complete fraud and the injuries aren't even an excuse anymore. If anything, they just strengthen the case to finally cut our losses and dump him on a mid-table club, where he belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom