• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

what does " we need someone different sometimes" mean. go to City hire KDB for other games than go back to Özil for others?
Games depend on the opposition as much as yourself. I'd hope that Pep in his short time in England has taught people that.

If he hasn't then watch him and watch many a great team. They alter to suit who they play. Özil isn't ideal against every team as much as Giroud isn't ideal against every team. That's why you have a squad to rotate and change as the opponents and circumstances change.

logic DC

Games depend on the opposition as much as yourself. I'd hope that Pep in his short time in England has taught people that.

If he hasn't then watch him and watch many a great team. They alter to suit who they play. Özil isn't ideal against every team as much as Giroud isn't ideal against every team. That's why you have a squad to rotate and change as the opponents and circumstances change.
rubbish, you play your best players every game unless they need to be rested, you don't see Pep excluding KDB, Fernadinho or Aguero do you? no why, because those players are his best players ffs we are not Madrid with an abundance of quality, even them they play their best players Kroos, Modric and Ronaldo unless they are injuries.

logic DC

yeah they alter formations and tactics but they don't drop thier best players otherwise who is going to implement those play on the pitch. if you would have watch Germany during the Euros you would have seen that Mesut is extremely adaptable player.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

rubbish, you play your best players every game unless they need to be rested, you don't see Pep excluding KDB, Fernadinho or Aguero do you? no why, because those players are his best players ffs we are not Madrid with an abundance of quality, even them they play their best players Kroos, Modric and Ronaldo unless they are injuries.
It's not rubbish. Not every game requires a non goal scoring attacking midfielder.

You're not going to drop Aguero or Ronaldo, goal scoring match winners, Modric is more defensive than attacking and Kroos is often rotated. Fernadinho has played Cm and Cb this season so not sure what your point is there and KdB scores and assists and plays right left or centre.

Özil is the "best number ten" yet his game relies on others finishing his work. He doesnt do enough most of the time. There was a reason Mourinho subbed him at 60-70 minutes
He isnt near xavi or inestia who rarely scored or assisted but were and in the formers case still vital

USArsenalFan716

He doesn't alter the stars depending on who he plays....kDb, Aguero......if they are healthy and fit....they are ****ing playing.

Same with us with Alexis and Özil......if they are healthy they start. No question. And what games would other options we have be better than these two.....I can't think of any.

logic DC

It's not rubbish. Not every game requires a non goal scoring attacking midfielder.

You're not going to drop Aguero or Ronaldo, goal scoring match winners, Modric is more defensive than attacking and Kroos is often rotated. Fernadinho has played Cm and Cb this season so not sure what your point is there and KdB scores and assists and plays right left or centre.

Özil is the "best number ten" yet his game relies on others finishing his work. He doesnt do enough most of the time. There was a reason Mourinho subbed him at 60-70 minutes
He isnt near xavi or inestia who rarely scored or assisted but were and in the formers case still vital
so who is this better mysterious player we can replace Özil with?, since you're are so damn intent in having him replaced.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

so who is this better mysterious player we can replace Özil with?, since you're are so damn intent in having him replaced.
I'm not intent. Jesus. Rotation doesn't mean replace unless the Oxford dictionary have updated their latest release to include more than lol and rfol.

Ideally, for rotation, I'd like to see Cazorla play that role with Xhaka and Coquelin behind him. Cazorla can defend and offers a goal threat and Coquelin and Xhaka offer a solid defensive platform.

@USArsenalFan716 Aguero starts as a forward I said he doesn't rotate. KdB plays left right or central that's variation. Özil is an acm that's it and a non goal scoring one.and a non dribbling one either. He is top class but limited. No shame in that. City could put KdB right and a host of players in the middle,Silva, Toure, Sterling etc. Özil can't go elsewhere. As a result he is limited to what he can do for us and against certain teams he will be ineffective as his talents cannot be exploited against every team due to his lack of versatility.

Again not a sham what he does he does very well. So fn wise up

Aevi

Hale End FC
You don't worry about world class players in a bad patch.

You just patiently wait for it to be over. Özil haters be creeping out of the woodwork though.
I've just skimmed past the last few pages so I don't know, but has anyone actually gone beyond criticizing his recent performances? That in itself is fair.

say yes

forum master baiter
Simple really. Özil doesn't have to start every game. He can be dropped or benched and formation changed if necessary to allow a different style of play or playmaker.

giphy.gif

law90026

Established Member
The current approach really doesn't help him in the least. No striker to play passes too, dropping back to get the ball, the middle third being compressed because both Cazorla and Coq are coming into the same spaces. Özil had to start going down the flanks to find space, it was that bad.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

You don't worry about world class players in a bad patch.

You just patiently wait for it to be over. Özil haters be creeping out of the woodwork though.

Yup and considering we are playing with Alexis , who is encouraged to come to the ball to me it means that Özil role involves a bit more running in behind defenders and maybe even scoring . Takes a little while to adjust .

blaze_of_glory

Aside from assists, key passes etc. Özil keeps the flow of our attacks going. Very, very, very rarely do they ever break down with Özil in possession. He's receiving the ball in positions high up the field in amongst the most defenders - he can be depended on to keep possession in key attacking areas & that in itself is a huge weapon. It's an often overlooked strength of Mesut Özil. If you look at most of our goals, the ball has gone through Özil at some stage in the attacking 3rd.
Completely agree. He's our safest player on the ball in the final third, in addition to being the most likely to create something.

GunnerShy

Stoked that we're getting results whilst he's in a bit of a down patch, because we know he'll come good. When he does, that will elevate us. Hope he has a blinder this week against Chelsea.

Do wonder if it is coinciding with Coqs "positioning" in the final third. In fairness he's only played a couple of games so far. Scored and put the ball into the box for Alexis' penalty against Watford.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
Watching the full match last night, Özil wasn't as bad as I'd read but he was sloppy in his simple passes. The problem is that he doesn't impose himself on a match. He's very passive all over the pitch. Walcott wasn't world class yesterday but he worked hard and you noticed he was there. Özil needs to be physically stronger and show a hunger for goals. His body language is never good but it gives an opponent hope seeing a "depressed" looking player with no oomph. I world tale a risk and bench him for Chelsea. I'd stick Gibbs out LW-at one point he was assisting Sanchez more than anyone. It will also give Monreal some cover.
Why ruin such a good post?

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Özil must be having an impact on our game even if it's not immediately obvious. I'm not blind to his faults but the amount of times his been subbed or rested and our game has gone to **** is telling.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
we tried that actually at the start of the season. our attack turns into **** when he is absent.

he's been below his standards, but we need him badly in whatever form he is.
We only tried it once. Against Leicester. Our attack doesnt look all that better now so bench him for a while and have him come on and play himself into some sort of form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Top Bottom