• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Not sure if it makes a ton of sense to compare Wenger and Emery. I was in the Wenger out camp. But I don't like what feels close to badmouthing a true legend of our club and of English football. Let's be happy with our new coach, who I for one think is moving the club and team in the right direction, while being proud of what Wenger achieved. How about we all agree on both! Win win! ;)

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Not sure if it makes a ton of sense to compare Wenger and Emery. I was in the Wenger out camp. But I don't like what feels close to badmouthing a true legend of our club and of English football. Let's be happy with our new coach, who I for one think is moving the club and team in the right direction, while being proud of what Wenger achieved. How about we all agree on both! Win win! ;)
Most are not bothering to look back. Whenever I start feeling nostalgic, I think of the pathetic shambles we were at times and excruciatingly embarrassing capitulations we experienced towards the end, and I'm much happier. That's gone now. As a club, we can look ourselves in the mirror after playing our rivals. That means a lot.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Let's not look back but look forward. :)

Arsène is a legend and if Emery does 1/4 of AWs achievments for the next couple of years it will be a joy to behold. No worth comparing those two, just be happy that we had one of the all-time greats at the helm and give time and support to the one that came after.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Come off it mate. I love Wenger as much as anyone, but he was finished - and most sensible people would agree with me. He'd taken this current team as far as he possibly could. Not a chance we'd be where we are this season with Wenger at the helm.
Anyone still taking this guy serious?

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Just a few games ago was pretty annoyed with 3 at the back but now it looks like our best set up. It was mostly the injuries that screwed things up.

One thing you have to 100% certain with Emery at this point is tactically he is pretty damn good at setting up against top opposition. Its difficult to point fingers at him for the lost points against big teams.

Come off it mate. I love Wenger as much as anyone, but he was finished - and most sensible people would agree with me. He'd taken this current team as far as he possibly could. Not a chance we'd be where we are this season with Wenger at the helm.

The point I'm trying to make is, is that getting top4 is hardly any progress. In last 20 years we belong in top4. It's just back on square one for us. The real progress we need to make is getting competitive for the title in the premier league. And that remains yet to be seen if Emery can get us there.

progman07

Established Member
Its amazing how we've gone from having a great squad that was being held back by Wenger to an awful or mediocre squad that the new manager is somehow working miracles with.
The truth is always inbetween, but there is an important difference, that is Wenger had a full squad of his own choice, he was the one that destructed an inbalanced but capable squad (with full of terrible backups, but a quality first 11 that could beat Barcelona on its day) to the level we are at now.

Stop talking bollocks please mate. It's 2019, not 1998.

78b3c85a5b12b0649be5cde49c7ebac1.jpg

GoonerJay24

The way I see it, we haven't had a good squad for 11 years (2008 vintage) and even that was questionable because of Almunia and the likes of Eboue/Diaby out wide.

Lets be real, we constantly complained back then about the lack of quality in the side.

Almunia in goal. Song/Denilson in midfield. Chamakh as RVP's back up. Theo blowing warm and cold. Squillaci, Silvestre, Santos, Eboue as our back up RB (thank the lord Sagna was usually fit as a fiddle). Rosicky who only bothered to turn up 3 or 4 times a year after he came back. Arshavin who stopped trying after one season.

Our expectations were ridiculously high when you look at what that squad was. Wenger did amazing to get that lot into the top 4 and don't let anyone fool you into thinking it was a cake walk either.

Chelsea and United were at their best, Liverpool under Benitez weren't slouches and as much as I hate to say it Sp**s under Redknapp with Bale and Modric weren't mugs either. City had just started rolling as well. Even the midtable sides were better. Newcastle, Villa under Martin O'Neil and Moyes' Everton side.

Even the side that lost to Leicester wasn't very good. I was tearing my hair out over the fact that we didn't buy anyone besides Cech. Who I thought was well past it as well. Cech in goal, Giroud up front, Coquelin in midfield backed up by two geriatrics. Sanogo and Debuchy as back ups. Mertesacker who admitted he lost his motivation for football.

We should have won the league that year, not those players but Arsenal FC should have won it, if we had done what we were supposed to do and brought in players.

We truly bottled it that season no doubt, wasted opportunity.

Jae

The point I'm trying to make is, is that getting top4 is hardly any progress. In last 20 years we belong in top4. It's just back on square one for us. The real progress we need to make is getting competitive for the title in the premier league.

But you don't really have a point buddy.

It's this kind of complacency that's landed us in the position we're in currently. Everyone else improved and we stayed exactly the same because "We are Arsenal and we belong in the top 4". Utter arrogance in my opinion.

We don't "belong" anywhere mate, we get what we deserve based on how we've performed over the course of the season, which in truth has been dreadfully over the past few years save a couple of runs in the FA Cup.

You can't compare "the last 20 years" like it's all the same. The league has changed fundamentally, even in the last 5 years. It's the most competitive it's ever been. It's gone from a Top 2 (us and United) to a "Big 6" and unfortunately under Wenger we were the well documented whipping boys of the top clubs.

If you think we haven't progressed under Emery this year then I don't know what to say.

Hexagon9

It's this kind of complacency that's landed us in the position we're in currently. Everyone else improved and we stayed exactly the same because "We are Arsenal and we belong in the top 4". Utter arrogance in my opinion.

We don't "belong" anywhere mate, we get what we deserve based on how we've performed over the course of the season, which in truth has been dreadfully over the past few years save a couple of runs in the FA Cup.

You can't compare "the last 20 years" like it's all the same. The league has changed fundamentally, even in the last 5 years. It's the most competitive it's ever been. It's gone from a Top 2 (us and United) to a "Big 6" and unfortunately under Wenger we were the well documented whipping boys of the top clubs.

If you think we haven't progressed under Emery this year then I don't know what to say.
Great post. I’d also contend that until this season we weren’t even maintaining our level, we were getting worse, regardless of the other “big sides”.

Just quoted this to tell you I didnt read your post after the first line.

It's so funny to read how people were adamant there is no real progress under Emery even though it can be seen on so many levels.

If we get CL this season it is progress compares to last season. But getting CL is hardly any progress on last 10 years.

We need longer time to see if this is heading towards us being competitive in the league or if this is just another case us getting into top4 and doing nothing with it.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
If we get CL this season it is progress compares to last season. But getting CL is hardly any progress on last 10 years.

We need longer time to see if this is heading towards us being competitive in the league or if this is just another case us getting into top4 and doing nothing with it.

I don't care about a period of 10 years because no one expect us to win the league and even though this is an ultimate goalpost it's not the only metric to deem something as a progress.

The benchmark for Emery' first year should be last couple of seasons and not only in the context of league position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom