• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳

Look at this list ffs. Arteta needs to sort it out.
Biggest thing we need to sort out to me is creating more chances (we create about as much as Chelsea and were down at 6th place last time I looked). We have been the most clinical side in the PL during the past two years, I don't think there is anything in the side to think that we are guaranteed to continue to be as clinical. So if we aren't and don't create more, we are likely to drop back a place or two imo. Jover has fully emptied the tank with regards to set pieces, so fair play to Arteta and him for that.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Tactics and coaching methods have evolved significantly over the past 15 years. It's more difficult to implement playing out of the back then it is to kick it long which was the most prevalent way of getting up the pitch.

Similarly, it's more difficult to setup a positional system where every player has a strict cog role as part of a wider machine, rather than setting up a team to feed a couple of talented players and playing predominantly through them.

If you're a coach, you would know it is much harder to develop and train the former and it requires far more from coaches in terms of competence and likewise from the players.

Whether that's what Burnley or Luton should do, maybe they aren't suited to playing like that, but I'm all for clubs all over the country focusing on technique, possession, playing on the ground and keeping the ball. It's the only way we will bridge the gap between England and the rest of Europe.

In the past, the managers did play more to their players strengths rather than forcing them into a system like we see today, but the ball also spent more time in the air than it does today, teams exchanged possession more frequently, the standard of football outside of Arsenal and Man Utd was incredibly poor.

Nowadays, you see teams like Bournemouth, Brighton and Villa play good entertaining football and that's absolutely down to the quality of coaching outside of the bigger club
and England is better for it.
Its obviously a higher risk reward scenario for managers - focus on technique and possession - you might fail miserably like Burnley, but get it right, and there is the possibility you end up as a relatively successful PL club like Brighton over the longer term. I think this relative success is harder to achieve in the long term if there isn't a focus on technique and possession - maybe the old Burnely is an example where this wasn't the case.

Also clubs want to enhance their brand to a global audience in the PL and a majority of fans of all clubs are now starting to expect to see entertaining football. Look at West Ham. So clubs are hiring the managers who live and die by the higher risk scenario.

GoonerJay24

Tactics and coaching methods have evolved significantly over the past 15 years. It's more difficult to implement playing out of the back then it is to kick it long which was the most prevalent way of getting up the pitch.

Similarly, it's more difficult to setup a positional system where every player has a strict cog role as part of a wider machine, rather than setting up a team to feed a couple of talented players and playing predominantly through them.

If you're a coach, you would know it is much harder to develop and train the former and it requires far more from coaches in terms of competence and likewise from the players.

Whether that's what Burnley or Luton should do, maybe they aren't suited to playing like that, but I'm all for clubs all over the country focusing on technique, possession, playing on the ground and keeping the ball. It's the only way we will bridge the gap between England and the rest of Europe.

In the past, the managers did play more to their players strengths rather than forcing them into a system like we see today, but the ball also spent more time in the air than it does today, teams exchanged possession more frequently, the standard of football outside of Arsenal and Man Utd was incredibly poor.

Nowadays, you see teams like Bournemouth, Brighton and Villa play good entertaining football and that's absolutely down to the quality of coaching outside of the bigger club
and England is better for it.

Good coaches simplify the game without trying to create complex systems that hinder player strengths. Ancelotti, probably the most successful CL manager in recent years; is playing the exact same way he did 20 years ago at Milan.

I just think nanagers should play a way to maximize their team and that's lacking lately. West Ham, Burnley, Luton are good examples.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

I tell ya...

We win nothing after playing as well as we have these past 2 years, then Stone Cold Autistic Austin somehow manages to beat Man City in OUR cup next weekend (cutting our lead as the most successful team in the FA up down to just 1)

Watch this space for another fantastic Riou head loss, has all the makings of one 😅

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

He has work to do with his squad, because this season City were below par and they had to put together another record breaking run to win the league.

They will be stronger next year, but so will we and Pep knows this.

Hopefully for us we can get our internationals back quickly, give them good rest, bring in players and prepare well for next season. If we stay fit, we have the foundation and cohesion in place to be even better than this year.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

He has work to do with his squad, because this season City were below par and they had to put together another record breaking run to win the league.

They will be stronger next year, but so will we and Pep knows this.

Hopefully for us we can get our internationals back quickly, give them good rest, bring in players and prepare well for next season. If we stay fit, we have the foundation and cohesion in place to be even better than this year.

Lots of the bigger sides will still be in transition next season so again we’ve got a good shot. No home losses and less than 3 defeats overall is the key.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Good coaches simplify the game without trying to create complex systems that hinder player strengths. Ancelotti, probably the most successful CL manager in recent years; is playing the exact same way he did 20 years ago at Milan.

I just think nanagers should play a way to maximize their team and that's lacking lately. West Ham, Burnley, Luton are good examples.
It's a fair point but Burnley & Luton are likely getting relegated whatever way they play tbf.
West Ham have had success under Moyes top half finishes every season bar 1,European football + a trophy for the 1st time in decades. The new coach may be more 'forward' thinking but no guarantee they do better tbh.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Hope he leaves for something better.

We can go back to mid table hustling. The glory days everyone is gagging for these days! De Zerbi or some hipster coach to take over.

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Maybe it is just me, but he seems less tense in his interviews these days.

He seems much more comfortable and mature in his position now. I guess that's to be expected given where he / we are now.

When he said he didn't think he was ready for the Arsenal job when he first took over, I think there is a lot of truth in that. I think his views on player and the club in general were largely correct but he did go about it in a bull in a china shop type of way. It was a little immature/ naive.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Biggest thing we need to sort out to me is creating more chances (we create about as much as Chelsea and were down at 6th place last time I looked). We have been the most clinical side in the PL during the past two years, I don't think there is anything in the side to think that we are guaranteed to continue to be as clinical. So if we aren't and don't create more, we are likely to drop back a place or two imo. Jover has fully emptied the tank with regards to set pieces, so fair play to Arteta and him for that.

City routinely overperform their xG; the best teams always overperform their xG. With two full seasons of overperforming our xG I think we can start to see that this isn't so much of an outlier, rather that it may be the norm.

From this season after MD37:
City - 93 goals on 78.6 xG
Arsenal - 89 goals on 73.2 xG

Arsenal Quotes

I think without doubt that Bergkamp is the most talented player to have played for Arsenal in the past 30 years, for as long as I can remember

Liam Brady

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, June 1

Arsenal are pushing to sign Benjamin Šeško, but no final decision has been made yet [Sky Germany]

RB Leipzig want to give Šeško a new contract to remove his release clause, with Arsenal/Chelsea/Manchester United all interested [Sky Germany]

AC Milan have made signing defender Jakun Kiwior their priority this summer [Santi Aouna - FootMercato]

Arsenal enquire about £17m-rated Barcelona defender Mikayil Faye [MailSport]

Latest posts

Top Bottom