• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't care about a period of 10 years because no one expect us to win the league and even though this is an ultimate goalpost it's not the only metric to deem something as a progress.

The benchmark for Emery' first year should be last couple of seasons and not only in the context of league position.

I can agree with that. Another metrics are better to talk about progress than finding the worst season in last two decades and compare us to that.

Where do you feel we have progressed? I think we are more competitive against top6 which is actually a good start for Emery. We seem to be fitter and players are getting to learn modern tactical football. There are more things.

But IMO I feel like we sometime struggle in our attacking combinations, individual errors and mistake are still to many. We are not getting enoug clean sheets and our away form although better than last year still needs work on. Our xmas period was well bit of a downer. So still a lot of thinks to work on.

I think problem here is that people already feel we will get top4 but we still have 5 very tricky away games and this will be a hard task. The progress will not mean as much if we fail to get CL spot.

pikey2000

I can agree with that. Another metrics are better to talk about progress than finding the worst season in last two decades and compare us to that.

Where do you feel we have progressed? I think we are more competitive against top6 which is actually a good start for Emery. We seem to be fitter and players are getting to learn modern tactical football. There are more things.

But IMO I feel like we sometime struggle in our attacking combinations, individual errors and mistake are still to many. We are not getting enoug clean sheets and our away form although better than last year still needs work on. Our xmas period was well bit of a downer. So still a lot of thinks to work on.

I think problem here is that people already feel we will get top4 but we still have 5 very tricky away games and this will be a hard task. The progress will not mean as much if we fail to get CL spot.

Would agree with you, we are 100% more competitive against the big sides and that is largely down to effort/attitude as much as anything else, he clearly has the capacity to get the team "up for the fight" which can only be good.

There are small patches in time where we look fantastic offensively but way to many times outside of that where it all breaks down to often, expecting defensive re-enforcements in the summer that should allow us to establish a more settled back 4 which as a result will help us going forwards i.e it must be difficult to establish attacking rythm's in your play when your changing formation quite as much as we are currently, i.e game to game.

Hexagon9

Agreed, but at least there is some progress.

We’re in the middle of March and even if we get knocked out of the EL on Thursday our season will still be very much alive as we have a real chance to finish in third place. That feels a bit different and a lot better to me.

I also think progress has been made in addressing issues with the squad. Of course it’s not perfect but Leno appears to be coming into his own and for me, Torreira was a great signing too. It was so refreshing to see an Arsenal player commit to, and generally win, 50/50 balls as he did earlier in the season. Many people had been saying that was what we needed for years and years but it just wasn’t made to happen. I’m hopeful that two more transfer windows will the see the squad improved further.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Standard response from you I see when you realise you haven't got a clue what you're talking about ;)

All the very best. :lol:
You're a top poster. Don't waste your time man.

Emery has had ups and downs this season. He's also had a transition muddied with funny decisions from the powers that be. Sven leaving. Ramsey contract situation. Özil situation (we don't know all the details so I admit it could be him). It hasn't exactly been rosy all round. I think overall he has done well. @Toby Andrl pointed out his dip before any of us saw it coming but I feel he has turned it around somewhat.

Would you agree @Toby Andrl ? What are your current thoughts on the management. Where could he do better?

Not sure if it makes a ton of sense to compare Wenger and Emery.
Agreed. I even had a go at @Makingtrax for what I perceived to be a comparison in the Wenger thread. Sorry Traxxy, i got a bit carried away there mate.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
You're a top poster. Don't waste your time man.

Emery has had ups and downs this season. He's also had a transition muddied with funny decisions from the powers that be. Sven leaving. Ramsey contract situation. Özil situation (we don't know all the details so I admit it could be him). It hasn't exactly been rosy all round. I think overall he has done well. @Toby Andrl pointed out his dip before any of us saw it coming but I feel he has turned it around somewhat.

Would you agree @Toby Andrl ? What are your current thoughts on the management. Where could he do better?

Agreed. I even had a go at @Makingtrax for what I perceived to be a comparison in the Wenger thread. Sorry Traxxy, i got a bit carried away there mate.

Actually didn't want to seriously post in this thread anymore cause of the temper tantrums some throw in here and the personal attacks, ridicule, twisting of statements and right out accusations of making up "agendas" or "narratives" some use to defend their position instead of bringing forward arguments.

If you're genuinely interested though I can PN you something I just yesterday wrote somewhere else about my current thoughts.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Actually didn't want to seriously post in this thread anymore cause of the temper tantrums some throw in here and the personal attacks, ridicule, twisting of statements and right out making up "agendas" or "narratives" some use to defend their position instead of bringing forward arguments.

If you're genuinely interested though I can PN you something I just yesterday wrote somewhere else about my current thoughts.
I can understand that.
Please do PM me that write up. I enjoy your thoughts for the most part.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Getting tired of people trying to see if Emery is giving us progress or not, by comparing him to Wenger. It’s wasted bandwidth.

For Wenger’s last two years he and the team were under intolerable pressure from fans trying to remove him and it’s hardly surprising he dropped out of the top 4. He was a great manager and his statistics bar those two years were outstanding. So let’s just draw a line under it. What’s done is done.

Emery is a new era. And it looks like we have another very capable coach. We know the club is spending 5th, so let’s start from there. He is currently 4th and there’s a possibility we might get even higher, which means he’s doing better than the sum of our parts. We could get CL football again. It’s all positive at the moment, why keep opening old wounds.

The king is dead, long live the new king.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Not sure if it makes a ton of sense to compare Wenger and Emery. I was in the Wenger out camp. But I don't like what feels close to badmouthing a true legend of our club and of English football. Let's be happy with our new coach, who I for one think is moving the club and team in the right direction, while being proud of what Wenger achieved. How about we all agree on both! Win win! ;)
Top post.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Getting tired of people trying to see if Emery is giving us progress or not, by comparing him to Wenger. It’s wasted bandwidth.

For Wenger’s last two years he and the team were under intolerable pressure from fans trying to remove him and it’s hardly surprising he dropped out of the top 4. He was a great manager and his statistics bar those two years were outstanding. So let’s just draw a line under it. What’s done is done.

Emery is a new era. And it looks like we have another very capable coach. We know the club is spending 5th, so let’s start from there. He is currently 4th and there’s a possibility we might get even higher, which means he’s doing better than the sum of our parts. We could get CL football again. It’s all positive at the moment, why keep opening old wounds.

The king is dead, long live the new king.
Synergy.

say yes

forum master baiter
It’s all positive at the moment, why keep opening old wounds.

Emery is always going to be compared to Wenger tbf, that’s just the way rating people in sport works. He’ll be compared to what came before him, just like how our next manager will (in turn) be compared to Emery.

It’s not the fans of Emery who have opened old wounds. Those wounds were opened by people who wouldn’t even give the new manager six months in the job before condemning him. The last thing any of us wanted this season was another debate about the manager ffs.

All that’s happening here is that the wound is being sewn up, the puss cleared away, and all the nasty bacteria who were contaminating this thread with their poison are being eliminated.

As you (to your credit) have ably demonstrated, it’s perfectly possible to love Wenger without turning on the new manager. Let’s hope that others can follow your example once they’ve finished eating their humble pie. The king is dead, long live the king.

Hexagon9

Emery is always going to be compared to Wenger tbf, that’s just the way rating people in sport works. He’ll be compared to what came before him, just like how our next manager will (in turn) be compared to Emery.

It’s not the fans of Emery who have opened old wounds. Those wounds were opened by people who wouldn’t even give the new manager six months in the job before condemning him. The last thing any of us wanted this season was another debate about the manager ffs.

All that’s happening here is that the wound is being sewn up, the puss cleared away, and all the nasty bacteria who were contaminating this thread with their poison are being eliminated.

As you (to your credit) have ably demonstrated, it’s perfectly possible to love Wenger without turning on the new manager. Let’s hope that others can follow your example once they’ve finished eating their humble pie. The king is dead, long live the king.
Great post.

We’re all AFC fans. We can love and praise UE without disrespecting our recent past, which, let’s face it, was pretty damned good.

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
no Guendouzi, no Torreira, no Mustafi ... Nacho, Kos, Özil, Ramsey, Laca, Auba all play..... football is simple actually.

Reactions: Jae
I was a Wenger fan boy once and I came to realize , his time with Arsenal is done and we had to move on. I am not an Emery fan boy yet, but I like what he is doing right now. If he keeps on getting us the results that we all want, I can become an Emery fan boy too. It takes time to properly judge. Having said that, we got 12 points against our top 5 teams, out of possible 30. If anyone has some time on their hands, I want to see what's our points tally against the big teams, like in the past 5 seasons, or excluding the last 2 seasons of Wenger.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
While I've been critical of Emery, he has without a doubt increased our profile from the last two years under Wenger. He's doing a better job.

What I like about Emery is that he is not being stubborn like Wenger was. Emery dropped Özil because he wanted to prove a point results started deteriorating. At that point, if Wenger made such a decision, he would double down and try to prove that we can play without a certain player, but Emery brought Özil back and the results got better. You could argue that he shouldn't have dropped Özil in the first place but at least he has shown that he is not stubborn and will learn from his mistakes.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
More exciting games, even if the football isn't aesthetically great, and improvement of individual players (which are things we didn't get in Wenger's ultimate and penultimate season) is already some improvement. Let alone not losing to Man. United and Tottenham in the League. Is that enough? Maybe not, but top 4 will certainly be a start.

Dj_sds -

While I've been critical of Emery, he has without a doubt increased our profile from the last two years under Wenger. He's doing a better job.

What I like about Emery is that he is not being stubborn like Wenger was. Emery dropped Özil because he wanted to prove a point results started deteriorating. At that point, if Wenger made such a decision, he would double down and try to prove that we can play without a certain player, but Emery brought Özil back and the results got better. You could argue that he shouldn't have dropped Özil in the first place but at least he has shown that he is not stubborn and will learn from his mistakes.

I am pretty sure Özil is not the reason results got better and he will be dropped again in the future for certain games, as he should be imo.

say yes

forum master baiter
I am pretty sure Özil is not the reason results got better and he will be dropped again in the future for certain games, as he should be imo.

Yeah we’ve actually got a higher win % when Özil has been dropped. Very difficult to make an objective argument against the way that Emery has handled him. Agendas gotta agend though.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Actually didn't want to seriously post in this thread anymore cause of the temper tantrums some throw in here and the personal attacks, ridicule, twisting of statements and right out accusations of making up "agendas" or "narratives" some use to defend their position instead of bringing forward arguments.
I don't think you should be sensitive. If you’ve got something to say, say it, regardless of what other people think.

I don’t agree with everything you say, but you make some interesting points and this thread/forum is a lot better for you being here.

I was one of the last few defending Wenger on here and the vitriol was off the Richter scale. But in some ways it was quite interesting. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It works. I am just waiting until everyone has copied it, then I shall come up with something new.

Herbert Chapman on the famous WM formation

Latest posts

Top Bottom