• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: Saka The Net

Is Saka a world class player?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 52 36.9%
  • Close, he’ll get there soon

Votes: 70 49.6%
  • No no at all

Votes: 19 13.5%

• Total voters

GoonerJay24

Big words here if you consider we have the best defense in the PL and only conceded 5 goals in the CL which looks to me like it's the best defense in that competition as well.

Think Saliba and Rice need to add those defense-splitting passes to their game for you guys to be happy, maybe you guys are just bored with them protecting our goal.

Of course, if we play possession based football, it requires good passers in midfield and defence. If not, we'll look good versus Sheffield, Burnley, Palace etc. At the top level, you get found out. Penalties saved us yesterday

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Of course, if we play possession based football, it requires good passers in midfield and defence. If not, we'll look good versus Sheffield, Burnley, Palace etc. At the top level, you get found out. Penalties saved us yesterday
Rice and Saliba are top passers for their positions and some people will be on their backs as soon as that passing is off. I don't remember that many CBs in history that were as good as Saliba on the ball.

They've been passing the ball well against teams like City and Liverpool so it's not like they are picking easy games like you are suggesting.

Yes, we do miss a player in midfield who will be better on the ball (LCM), but I don't expect more from Rice, he is there to win the ball for us and be reliable on the ball in dangerous areas. For the role he is playing, Rice is a very good passer.

GoonerJay24

Rice and Saliba are top passers for their positions and some people will be on their backs as soon as that passing is off. I don't remember that many CBs in history that were as good as Saliba on the ball.

They've been passing the ball well against teams like City and Liverpool so it's not like they are picking easy games like you are suggesting.

Yes, we do miss a player in midfield who will be better on the ball (LCM), but I don't expect more from Rice, he is there to win the ball for us and be reliable on the ball in dangerous areas. For the role he is playing, Rice is a very good passer.

I'm sorry mate, but if you seriously believe Rice is a top passer, then you're being daft. He's a good passer, and I believe being around the likes of Jorginho, Partey, as well as Arteta's coaching, has improved him, but come on. I don't disagree with you on Saliba; he's class on the ball.

Yes, I understand Rice's role and what he contributes, but here's the thing: a left 8 for a possession-based team should offer more on the ball. If this were a Mourinho or Benitez team, for instance, playing direct pragmatic football, you could have this profile in a 4-3-3 8 position. But Arsenal want to play intricate passing, two or sometimes one-touch football, thus it's vital the central midfielders possess a skill set aligning with this style. The likes of Havertz and Rice frequently look unnatural and will get exposed in bigger games.

The one thing I trust Arteta with is coaching and improving aspects of players; thus, the only way I can see Rice being a successful 8 for us long-term is if Arteta molds hin into a 15-20 goal a season goalscorer similar to Lampard etc.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I'm sorry mate, but if you seriously believe Rice is a top passer, then you're being daft. He's a good passer, and I believe being around the likes of Jorginho, Partey, as well as Arteta's coaching, has improved him, but come on. I don't disagree with you on Saliba; he's class on the ball.

Yes, I understand Rice's role and what he contributes, but here's the thing: a left 8 for a possession-based team should offer more on the ball. If this were a Mourinho or Benitez team, for instance, playing direct pragmatic football, you could have this profile in a 4-3-3 8 position. But Arsenal want to play intricate passing, two or sometimes one-touch football, thus it's vital the central midfielders possess a skill set aligning with this style. The likes of Havertz and Rice frequently look unnatural and will get exposed in bigger games.
For a defender (I don't see him as an 8), his passing is quality and we bring in a baller with better passing to fill in that LCM we struggle with. Simple as that. Rice is probably the best DMC in the game (at least on the defensive side of it), and I honestly don't know what sort of passing you guys expect from a DMC.

pireshenry

Tough game to say this about, almost our entire team got shown up in this tie. If these games were something to go on Saliba is years away from being even in contention for the label, Rice put in two God awful stinkers etc
I agree. Porto were set up really well.

GoonerJay24

For a defender (I don't see him as an 8), his passing is quality and we bring in a baller with better passing to fill in that LCM we struggle with. Simple as that. Rice is probably the best DMC in the game (at least on the defensive side of it), and I honestly don't know what sort of passing you guys expect from a DMC.

Rodri, Carrick, Redondo, Rijkaard, Busquets, Alonso, Petit, Pirlo, Fernandinho, Schweinsteiger, even Arteta, himself as a player here. These are the levels of technical proficiency needed for a CDM for possession teams. Rodri and Busquets are obviously exceptional; it's hard finding profiles like this. But all those above players were better technically than Declan and didn't cost £100m. Do you think Wenger would pay that for Rice, if he had the money to?

For this role, passing isn't the isolated technical attribute neither playing on the half turn and ball control are also key.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Rodri, Carrick, Redondo, Rijkaard, Busquets, Alonso, Petit, Pirlo, Fernandinho, Schweinsteiger, even Arteta, himself as a player here. These are the levels of technical proficiency needed for a CDM for possession teams.
This is exactly where we disagree, for example, Pirlo needed Gatuso next to himself, so how come you are not comparing the passing of Gatuso to Rice instead? Schweinsteiger DMC, when was that? Half or more of these players weren't even defensive players, they were deep playmakers with someone else winning the ball instead. We have completely different views on what Rice should do on this team, for me he is a ball winning DMC so instead of comparing his passing to Mascherano and Gatusso you compare him to Pirlo and Alonso.
I could only consider Rodri from this list of yours who is good at everything

GoonerJay24

This is exactly where we disagree, for example, Pirlo needed Gatuso next to himself, so how come you are not comparing the passing of Gatuso to Rice instead? Schweinsteiger DMC, when was that? Half or more of these players weren't even defensive players, they were deep playmakers with someone else winning the ball instead. We have completely different views on what Rice should do on this team, for me he is a ball winning DMC so instead of comparing his passing to Mascherano and Gatusso you compare him to Pirlo and Alonso.
I could only consider Rodri from this list of yours who is good at everything

Because it's not the same style bro, that's my whole point! Arteta doesn't play the football Ancelotti did at Ac Milan. Completely different systems.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
If Rice didn't switch nationality to English, and stayed as the IRA supporting Irish Dec that everyone knew and loved... everyone would call him world class.

Some people pretty much hate him just because he's English, tbh.

Legend14

Established Member
Saka went back to his slow recognition of the double team and tried to force his will when it wasn’t possible.

When its not going, he and Arteta should have a plan b and c. For example, could he have moved to the left more frequently to see if that side was up for the challenge? Could he pass or attack with pace before the double team formed?

A player with his talent shouldn’t have that bad of a match regardless of the competition or strategy. Hopefully he learned from it.

Black Noir

Rice has to be up there if Bellingham is World Class. He's performing on the same level as Rodri who inarguably has been the best in the world at his position for a couple of seasons now.
Saka, Foden , Rice are in the Walker/Trent & Stones top class category , Bellingham, Kane are tier above them. This is a very good squad, But LB,CM,CB positions depth are a weakness.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Saka, Foden , Rice are in the Walker/Trent & Stones top class category , Bellingham, Kane are tier above them. This is a very good squad, But LB,CM,CB positions depth are a weakness.
Bellingham is having a truly exceptional season at a very young age, his first World Class season. He hasn't done enough to be in the same tier as Kane or above Rice.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Free vs about 210m in transfer fees as well.

The Joker Lol GIF

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom