• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The most underrated players.

BBF

Always thought 2012-14 Arteta was a monster for us. Controlled the game, could distribute the ball, could keep the ball and it felt like he was always in the right place. He was miles better than Coquelin is now.

Giroud

Established Member
Always thought 2012-14 Arteta was a monster for us. Controlled the game, could distribute the ball, could keep the ball and it felt like he was always in the right place. He was miles better than Coquelin is now.

Coquelin offers us something different. He's a real ball winner who can get around the pitch and is fantastic in the tackle but he doesn't have the same positional or skills in possession as Arteta.

Arteta was much better defensively than he was given credit for. Like you said he was in the right place more often than not and could put in a tackle as well. He did get beaten by some more powerful players but also was left pretty isolated at times and did a good job considering.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Arteta was a lot better defensively than people gave him credit for as been suggested by BBF and Giroud (the poster not the player). Superb reader of the game, aggressive when he needed to be and great at cutting out the passing lanes. Also I think he's a good influence in the dressing room, you hear things about his leadership qualities (which sometimes aren't seen due to the fact he's not a typical "captain fantastic" bullshit leader) and for example his speech before the last FA Cup final when he wasn't even playing.

So much is said of Wenger failing to sign DMs but the signing of Arteta and subsequent conversion of him to a DLP role is something Wenger should take a lot of credit for.

say yes

forum master baiter
Yeah Arteta got us through some tough times. Don't rate him as highly as say Carrick but he's the prototypical modern defensive midfielder.

VancouverCanuck

Also I think he's a good influence in the dressing room, you hear things about his leadership qualities (which sometimes aren't seen due to the fact he's not a typical "captain fantastic" bullshit leader) and for example his speech before the last FA Cup final when he wasn't even playing.
How good a leader can he be when he doesn't yell out "C'mon!' like Kompany?!?

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

it's Rooney upfront and the usual Chelsea United boys at the back

Overall, a hyperbole of a post from you;

Rooney, Smalling and Jones are the only United players in the team.

Carrick had been shunned by the national team for a decade when he was the perfect answer to offer balance to Lampard or Gerrard and he probably won't make the cut this time. He should have retired internationally a while ago.

Shaw is the best left-back in the national team so it's a weak argument to say he doesn't deserve a spot. Proved that with his So'ton form under Poch and he was coming along magnificently until his freak injury. Personally hope he misses the Euro's.

Smalling and Stones is probably the only sound partnership but even then I'm having doubts on Stones.

Jones is definitely questionable but the national side isn't blessed with great centerbacks. The likes of Cahill, Jagielka and Jones are around a similar level so it's unsurprising that he's in the squad considering he can also provide depth as a defensive mid or a right back.

Gael Clea-show

Overall, a hyperbole of a post from you;

Rooney, Smalling and Jones are the only United players in the team.

Carrick had been shunned by the national team for a decade when he was the perfect answer to offer balance to Lampard or Gerrard and he probably won't make the cut this time. He should have retired internationally a while ago.

Shaw is the best left-back in the national team so it's a weak argument to say he doesn't deserve a spot. Proved that with his So'ton form under Poch and he was coming along magnificently until his freak injury. Personally hope he misses the Euro's.

Smalling and Stones is probably the only sound partnership but even then I'm having doubts on Stones.

Jones is definitely questionable but the national side isn't blessed with great centerbacks. The likes of Cahill, Jagielka and Jones are around a similar level so it's unsurprising that he's in the squad considering he can also provide depth as a defensive mid or a right back.
Lampard Gerrard were the english messiahs. Despite, knowing they dont fot together, every pothead manager came in and bowed to the pressure of playing them both.

The NT has called out for a good CDM to support the rest, why hasn't Noble been called up?
Barry was playing well for Villa but never got a call until he moved to City.

For the NT, only the high profile players play. It's the media pressure and the manager usually bows to it.

Agreed Shaw has been decent but doesn't Bertrand deserve a shout after the last 2 years?

How about Butland (only this season) and Fraser Forster (for ages) playing well but Hart was still preferred and disappointed?

Forster

Shaw/ Bertrand Smalling Stones/ Cahill Clyne

Noble Wilshere
Barkley

That should have been the team with a front line based on form.

If you feel the NT isn't based on performers from only the top 4-5 teams, then you've got them rose tinted glasses on.

It's why other countries have a good NT setup while the English hold onto rubbish out of form players, playing as they represent top teams.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

That says more about Chelsea's season than about Mikel, complete nothing player.

I bet Bingobob rates him, he loves a big black dickhead in midfield.
Jesus lad :lol:

Say what you like about Mikel but there has to be something about him kept as a solid backup in the Chelsea squad for many a year when he can be sold and replaced with ease.

Personally though I'd have preferred Ramires don't think Mikel is all that good even after that nice comment.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Jesus lad :lol:

Say what you like about Mikel but there has to be something about him kept as a solid backup in the Chelsea squad for many a year when he can be sold and replaced with ease.

Personally though I'd have preferred Ramires don't think Mikel is all that good even after that nice comment.
Doesn't mean necessarily that he's any good, O'Shea and Wes Brown won loads of titles and CLs for United and were never not ****. Mikel himself was about to leave for Qatar last summer when he was just 27.

He's a squad option to fall back on but was never worth the money they spent on him in fee or wages.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Looking at the current CBs playing for England I'd say Tomkins should get a call-up for a friendly or two. Solid defender, 26, plays consistently, rarely injured.

Seems the way into the national setup is to get bought by Liverpool though. Doesn't matter how ****e you are, the call-up is guaranteed if you play for that specific mid-table club.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Doesn't mean necessarily that he's any good, O'Shea and Wes Brown won loads of titles and CLs for United and were never not ****. Mikel himself was about to leave for Qatar last summer when he was just 27.

He's a squad option to fall back on but was never worth the money they spent on him in fee or wages.
Oddly Enough I know a few United fans who think their decline started by selling the likes of O Shea, Park, Brown etc. Not because they were top class but because they'd slot in without much disruption and do a job.

Anyway I'm not a fan of Mikel but if I were that'd be the argument id make. The reality is he was massive as a kid and looked much better than he was at a younger age. Puberty happened and other kids overtook and then exceeded him.

BBF

Always thought Carrick was overrated tbh. Everyone saw an English player who could control the tempo of the game and everyone just lost their minds.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Oddly Enough I know a few United fans who think their decline started by selling the likes of O Shea, Park, Brown etc. Not because they were top class but because they'd slot in without much disruption and do a job.

Anyway I'm not a fan of Mikel but if I were that'd be the argument id make. The reality is he was massive as a kid and looked much better than he was at a younger age. Puberty happened and other kids overtook and then exceeded him.

Well they are United fans, it would be strange if they had a clue about football. Wouldn't class Park with the others, not that I rate him but he was good in what he was supposed to do. He was the ultimate Fungus player, completely brainless but runs all day harassing people ruining the game for everyone else.

Mikel is useless now but was actually a decent prospect in his younger years, unlikely as it seems he had some ability on the ball which is also why he plays a more attacking role for Nigeria. Similar to that fat **** Anderson he picked the wrong club and ruined his career for good.

Arsenal Quotes

We don't sign superstars, we make them.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom