• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: Yutility

blaise

Really like him, if we sell Bellerin could be a serious option for RWB back up as for CM backup, wouldnt be shocked if Wenger tries to buy James and Mbappe without CM or RWB and uses James with lower opposition as a CM.

Rouski

So, does Ainsley believe he can be the next youngster to follow in Alex Iwobi’s footsteps?

“If I’m honest, my biggest target this season is to start a game in the Premier League or Champions League. But for now it’s just about me pushing to cement my place first. “Alex didn’t just get one start and then continue starting games, he got introduced to first-team football slowly. It’s just about taking your time on the pitch and becoming the most effective player you can to show the boss what you can do. Hopefully then I’ll get the game time.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/features/20161124/ainsley-maitland-niles#sfocJd5cg6PyMJWm.99

Smart guy, has everything going for him, can be the next youth player to break through to 1st team

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I like him a lot. I remember in a cup game, he had to make a challenge in the box. He stayed on his feet and was perected. His composure was beyond his years. He has the look of top player in the making. I just hope he is,for us.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I was surprised he didn't get more of a look after you spanked Southampton 5-0 away in the FA Cup with him starting. Not sure why Elneny would be above him.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Currently having a good tournament with England U20s in the U20 world cup. Had a bit of a ropey game when he came on vs Mexico but every other time he's started he has been impressive - passing smartly, effective positioning off the ball and showing some neat technique and dribbling. Only Onomah has looked more consistently impressive in midfield.

He must play for us next season.

Rouski

Scouting report - Ainsley Maitland-Niles stars in England U20s World Cup semi-final win
The Arsenal midfielder played the full 90 minutes as England beat Italy to reach the U20s World Cup final

England came from behind to beat Italy on Wednesday and book their place in the Under-20s World Cup final.

The Italians took an early lead through Riccardo Orsolini but England hit back after the interval to claim a deserved 3-1 win in South Korea.

Dominic Solanke - who has just moved to Liverpool from Chelsea - scored twice, either side of a goal from the impressive Ademola Lookman.

Arsenal’s Ainsley Maitland-Niles played the full 90 minutes for England, anchoring the side well in the defensive midfield role.

Here’s a closer look at how the Gunners youngster got on.

First half

Maitland-Niles provided a superb barrier in the heart of midfield for England before the break

Sitting deep, he broke up play time and time again as Italy tried to move forward.

In the first half, when Italy looked to cause England problems at the break, it was often Maitland-Niles who stopped them.

A quick break from a fee-kick saw the Italians grab an early lead, that was the only time they really escaped the attentions of the Arsenal man.

He, like the rest of the England team, were caught somewhat flat-footed as Italy raced away to score through Orsolini.

But Paul Simpson’s side recovered well and could have gone in level at the break had Dominic Solanke’s shot not been well saved.

Maitland-Niles constantly kept them ticking over, moving the ball on quickly without taking any risks.

And when Italy did get in possession, he was on them quickly to win the ball back.

Second half

England were totally dominant after the break and deservedly turned things round to claim the win.

Italy couldn’t get out of their own half as Simpson’s side pressed them back with attack after attack.

Maitland-Niles again kept things ticking over from his deep lying position in front of the back four, receiving the ball and moving it on quickly.

He wasn’t needed anywhere near as much defensively as England were camped on the edge of the Italian box.

Solanke levelled things up for the Three Lions before Ademola Lookman made it 2-1, converting well after the ball had fallen nicely for him in the box.

England then wrapped things up late on when Solanke’s low drive from 25 yards crept into the corner.

The verdict

The likes of Solanke, Lookman and Sheyi Ojo will grab all the headlines for their performances, but Maitland-Niles was the rock that England built their success on.

Sitting in front of the defence, he barely allowed Italy a sniff after that second minute opener.

He was excellent in the enforcer role. Winning tackles, halting Italian attacks and then starting off English ones by moving the ball on quickly.

One negative that could be sent his way is the lack of penetrating passes he plays during the games, the ones he usually produces are fairly simple ones.

But that would be an unfair criticism, there are other players in the team who do that job - Maitland-Niles is there to do the ugly side of the game and to use his exceptional athleticism to get around the pitch.

He did that superbly throughout an absorbing 90 minutes, playing a key role in a thoroughly deserved victory for England.

http://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/players/ainsley-maitland-niles-arsenal-england-13156375

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Why's there so little coverage for the under-2o world cup? You'd think it'd be more of a big deal.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Why's there so little coverage for the under-2o world cup? You'd think it'd be more of a big deal.
It's that awkward age group between U21 and U19. U20s usually don't get much coverage as the players called up are usually barely even fringe players for their first teams. England's team is pretty strong to be fair - Calvert-Lewin, Onomah, Lookman, Solanke etc - all strong players with first team experience.

Impact

Established Member
Similar to the situation with Holding and Gabriel, I can't see why Ainsley isn't ahead of Elneny in the pecking order. Elneny is a very basic player, Maitland-Niles can offer the same qualities while having other more standout abilities.

Think there is a space for him as a squad player. RWB and CM should be the positions he targets for game time over the next two seasons.

Aevi

Hale End FC
If Chamberlain is shifted to the center this coming season to compete with Ramsey, which will likely be a point of discussion in Alex's contract talks, I'd indeed love to see AMN at RWB as Bellerin backup. This scenario is probably his best opportunity to get minutes.

Impact

Established Member
That's exactly what I want to see. I think our midfield signing should be someone to compete with Xhaka.

Xhaka/New signing - Ramsey/Oxlade-Chamberlain​

Aevi

Hale End FC
That's exactly what I want to see. I think our midfield signing should be someone to compete with Xhaka.

Xhaka/New signing - Ramsey/Oxlade-Chamberlain​
I wouldn't be surprised if there is no CM signing, and that instead we'll just have Ox move to the middle as an extra option. Then we still have Cazorla, Coquelin, Wilshere, and Elneny as things stand in addition to the midfielders above.

That's more money for the Mbappe fund, time to go all in at 150 million pounds :drool::lol:

Impact

Established Member
Could see that. Just don't think that would be a good decision.

Increasingly think that Wilshere will push for a move. Cazorla is a non-entity for next season and Elneny is Sainsbury's brand cornflakes basic.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Super excited about Reiss Nelson. Think he is a Jack Wilshere level talent.
Very much so. His 1-on-1 dribbling in particular will be a crowd pleaser. But 2 things for me will give him even more of an edge - his acceleration and his intelligence. There's so many layers to his game, he can literally be as good as he wants to be.

If Chamberlain is shifted to the center this coming season to compete with Ramsey, which will likely be a point of discussion in Alex's contract talks, I'd indeed love to see AMN at RWB as Bellerin backup. This scenario is probably his best opportunity to get minutes.
It's a likely outcome if AMN is to get minutes. For me, best case scenario is time in central midfield. But RWB is definitely a bigger target for him - he doesn't have Chamberlain's bludgeoning dribbles that make him so fearsome, but he's better defensively and he's still a clever dribbler with a lot of acceleration and excels in tighter spaces - which might make him an interesting attacking threat at wing back. His future IMO should ultimately be in central midfield but wing back is definitely an easier way in.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
If this guy is a capable defender (haven't seen much, 1 game basically), then shifting Ox into Ramsey's role would be a good move I reckon.

I could see Ox thriving in that somewhat less punishing move in midfield. He's a much more athletic guy than Ramsey, but he's still a bit raw in his decision making etc. It was a problem in a 4-2-3-1 with very little cover behind him, but in this current system he could be devastating if he works hard.

Ox bombing into the box from deep is a real ****ing problem for any defense. And, unlike Ramsey, I still have faith in Ox becoming a real threat from outside. The technique is there, just needs to not rush his shots.

Impact

Established Member
If Oxlade-Chamberlain gets a run of consistent games in the middle of the park, we'll be talking about him as the best midfielder in the league before long. Always said that the boy has everything. Just needs the self-confidence that the best players have.

Impact

Established Member
Very much so. His 1-on-1 dribbling in particular will be a crowd pleaser. But 2 things for me will give him even more of an edge - his acceleration and his intelligence. There's so many layers to his game, he can literally be as good as he wants to be.

Touched on it in this post. I think it's his explosiveness that separates him from someone like Chris Willock. Think he would be very interesting in the role Alexis plays for us in the future. Would like to see him really take goalscoring seriously. Looks a very well rounded attacker.

Last edited:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Definitely needs to get more minutes this coming season. He just needs confidence and would be perfect in the RWB role for his development. It's funny that being in the Europa League may see young players take major strides.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom