• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Less Ox, More Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Re: What next for the Ox?

I find Wenger's thinking to be a bit strange lately if I'm to be honest. I'd rather have given Liverpool 70 mil for Suarez last season than bought Özil and Sanchez.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover

I believe Ox is ready to make a real breakthru, to have a sensational season, as long as he is healthy. he matured, Does his job at the back and is terrific going forward. Health is all he needs, and with Theo out first month or so, I see Oxlade taking that spot and making it his own. Health is all he needs, rest will come natural way

Suave Gooner89

Established Member

a_fourteen said:
I find Wenger's thinking to be a bit strange lately if I'm to be honest. I'd rather have given Liverpool 70 mil for Suarez last season than bought Özil and Sanchez.

Not me: two world class players >one - especially since Suarez is good for missing 10 + games annually through suspension.

Anyway, that's ancient history now; we've turned a corner and the days of having top calibre players and competing for the league will be back imminently.

Forward.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

Suave Gooner89 said:
a_fourteen said:

Not me: two world class players >one - especially since Suarez is good for missing 10 + games annually through suspension.

Anyway, that's ancient history now; we've turned a corner and the days of having top calibre players and competing for the league will be back imminently.

Forward.

Plus Suarez has benefited from a lack of injuries until now when he's suffered a knee injury. He will get burnt out sooner or later. And the risk of investing 70m in 1 player who could get injured for a year is too much for us, you have to spread your risk.

He's 2 years older than the other too also and both Özil and Sanchez may have higher ceilings than their current level.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member

Keep fit, get a run of games and start to show your potential. He's been here for 3 years now so the whole 'prospect' tag is starting to fade away, injuries obviously haven't helped but I still want more.

It's a bit frustrating because it's clear that he's got everything in his locker to become a top winger - great speed and dribbling, built like a rugby player, good technique, agile, good shot, comfortable with both feet etc etc. He needs a bit of luck with his fitness and then take his opportunity, I think he's going to explode soon though and start hitting 10+ goals/assists when he gets a good run. Hopefully that's next season.

a_fourteen

Established Member

The worry for me is that Ox wont get a steady run of games. There is now just too much competition for places in the areas he plays.
Wings: Walcott, Sanchez, Campbell, Cazorla, Podolski
Central: Özil, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky, Diaby

How does he consistently get ahead of these guys? You have to sell or loan out a few to make that happen.

Caz19

a_fourteen said:
The worry for me is that Ox wont get a steady run of games. There is now just too much competition for places in the areas he plays.
Wings: Walcott, Sanchez, Campbell, Cazorla, Podolski
Central: Özil, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky, Diaby

How does he consistently get ahead of these guys? You have to sell or loan out a few to make that happen.

I can see Podolski being sold to be honest. I don't think his goal contribution is enough for Wenger to make up for his poor all around game. And now we've got Sanchez who offers more goals,more movement,more workrate and better at getting involved in buildup.

Podolski isn't a bad character to have and not a bad backup/super sub, but you need to consider the fact he's earning 100k p/w and you need to do a hell of a lot to justify that sum.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member

Even with Sanchez coming in, I think there's a spot for Ox in the team if he works hard enough. He looked good on the left earlier in his career, assuming Sanchez plays on the right he could sneak in there. I really didn't like Santi wide left last season.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

If we're serious about competing to finish first in four competitions, Ox will have a major role to play. No more kids in the League cup please. My only concern is Wenger rarely makes plans for a specific kind of opponent and his substitutions are mechanical. This results in some players burning out and some players never playing.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Ox and Santi for the left, Theo and Ox for the right he'll get plenty of games.

Pies

Yeah, think at the end of the day he will still end up getting plenty of games this season (if he can stay fit).

alboots101

Established Member

Pies said:
Yeah, think at the end of the day he will still end up getting plenty of games this season (if he can stay fit).

I really hope this will happen and staying injury free is vital.

MaestroCesc

The lad is levels above Campbell lol. Would be surprised if we didn't see him starting v Palace in a month's time.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado

a_fourteen said:

not sure if troll?

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

mavelous said:
a_fourteen said:

not sure if troll?

To be fair you would've walked the league last season if you'd brought in Suarez instead of Özil.

Short term gain though with Suarez antics.

Caz19

MaestroCesc said:
The lad is levels above Campbell lol. Would be surprised if we didn't see him starting v Palace in a month's time.

You'll be surprised most likely, since I think if everything goes to plan and we dont get injuries we'll start with Sanchez on one wing and Cazorla on the other wing. In games against weaker opposition you need to have a playmaker on the wing IMO. I'd be surprised if Ox+Sanchez isn't our wing pairing the week after away to Everton though.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Caz19 said:
MaestroCesc said:

You'll be surprised most likely, since I think if everything goes to plan and we dont get injuries we'll start with Sanchez on one wing and Cazorla on the other wing. In games against weaker opposition you need to have a playmaker on the wing IMO. I'd be surprised if Ox+Sanchez isn't our wing pairing the week after away to Everton though.

Other way round I would have thought? Extra midfielder versus the better teams.

Suave Gooner89

Established Member

Caz19 said:
MaestroCesc said:

Not for me. No more of Cazorla cutting inside, narrowing our shape, and initiating tiki-taka passes: Sanchez on the right, Chamberlain on the left - lets blitz them with pace, dynamism, movement, and explosiveness. We're going to be absolutely lethal with Walcott, Chamberlain, and Sanchez is the same starting XI - Özil will have a field day with those three making runs, not to mention Ramsey driving forward from midfield!

Tiki-taka/lateral passing with no penetration is useless; it's high time we revert to pace and power by becoming a counter attacking side - we have arguably the best personnel in the world to execute said philosophy.

I'll stop there, I'm getting too excited thinking about the destruction this side will inflict next season - teams will be completely overran.

Sanchez
Chamberlain Özil Walcott
DM Ramsey

:bounce :bounce

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Suave Gooner89 said:
Caz19 said:
MaestroCesc said:

Not for me. No more of Cazorla cutting inside, narrowing our shape, and initiating tiki-taka passes: Sanchez on the right, Chamberlain on the left - lets blitz them with pace, dynamism, movement, and explosiveness. We're going to be absolutely lethal with Walcott, Chamberlain, and Sanchez is the same starting XI - Özil will have a field day with those three making runs, not to mention Ramsey driving forward from midfield!

Tiki-taka/lateral passing with no penetration is useless; it's high time we revert to pace and power by becoming a counter attacking side - we have arguably the best personnel in the world to execute said philosophy.

I'll stop there, I'm getting too excited thinking about the destruction this side will inflict next season - teams will be completely overran.

Sanchez
Chamberlain Özil Walcott
DM Ramsey

:bounce :bounce

Arguably, Wenger is looking to develop a side that consists of individual players with the explosiveness and power of a counter-attacking player combined with the intelligence and creativity of your more traditionally cultured players. Hybrids.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

I fancy this guy to have an unbelievable season. He has such natural ability. He needs to eclipse Sterling's season and I believe he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom