• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v Sheffield United (FAC Semi Final)

Ally

Arsenal 1 (Ljungberg 39) Sheffield United 0

I hate semi-finals. I positively, absolutely loathe them. Especially going into them as the favourites. Your position is untenable, for it’s truly a no-win situation - you win, it’s expected of you. You lose...

Sheffield United, as we knew they would, played honourably, doing themselves proud and will walk away from this with their heads held high. Only the greatest save I have ever had the privilege to see prevented them taking the tie to a further thirty minutes, a state of affairs that was simply not on given what’s ahead of us.

These games have a pattern. It happened last year and inevitably it happened today as well. Just as Middlesborough poured forward looking for a breakthrough by harrying our midfield and attempting pot shots at the goal wherever possible, United (Who surely must have seen a tape of the brawl from a year ago tomorrow) took the same attitude, but were unable to threaten the goal seriously thanks to the impenetrable defensive wall that Patrick and Sol manage to maintain week-in-week-out. Crucially, the Blades have previously never been up against anything of this calibre and so didn’t manage to adjust their offence to best attack our back line until it was just too late.

They were being given a leg-up however, as Jeffers and Wiltord seemed quite content to stay put and shut up shop in their own half, leaving Edu and Vieira with little option as to where the ball went when it was won in midfield - this is where Freddie’s influence shows most, on the overlap and running at the full back (This was especially pertinent seeing as the midfielder trying to halt any progress being made was Stuart McCall, shown up hopelessly for pace and booked fairly early for a lunge which left him reluctant to commit to any subsequent challenge). Parlour on the opposite wing once again showed that he’s the man for the big occasion, tenaciously winning the ball, cutting inside and using his possession to the best advantage, unlike certain French poachers-cum-right wingers who shall remain nameless...Still, this was ultimately an examination of how well we could grind out a watertight defensive showing, and on that criteria we did well. Semi finals aren’t a front for the flair players to show off with step-overs and flicks, rather they test solidarity and consistency under pressure.

I’m not sure if that’s a watertight excuse for the dross that usually gets pumped out at the penultimate hurdle of the Cup (Note how this is the only competition where this license for rubbish football seems to apply - you never get this in the Champions League, or even in the Worthington), but I’m most likely missing the point entirely - actually getting to the final is the first priority, and no matter how painful it may be to watch.

It was nearly 40 minutes before the first clear chance came along, and what do you know! Two for the price of one! We owe this one to Graham Poll, though. The guy was obviously on a kickback this afternoon - not because of the foul he failed to award in favour of Allison (The United frontman was on his way to the floor before Campbell even got near him), but because of the hilarious collision between the ref and Michael Tonge who was trying to pick up a loose Wiltord sweep (Surely the headline in some rag tomorrow will be “Poll axed”. Which, I am ashamed to admit, raised a smile from yours truly)- from the resulting move, we scored. Persistence and tenacity are, as I’ve said, key words (Or should that be key attributes?) on this stage, and after Edu had once more dispatched a fine through ball in the FA Cup at Old Trafford, Jeffers got a break, hit the near by-line and cut back to Wiltord, whose connection was too fine and his shot dribbled against the post. Credit to him though - his reactions and anticipation were first class and he charged after - and won - the rebound on the other side of the goal. His attempted cross was deflected straight to Ljungberg, who couldn’t miss, slamming his strike against the underside of the bar and in.

In the circumstances, everyone would have snapped your hand off for a scrambled one goal lead at half time, and there was little doubt that another goal would kill the tie. Pity we didn’t seem that bothered about getting it. The options available were to throw on Thierry to finish the game off, to throw an extra midfielder on to stifle any creative movement going on from the opposition, or to sit back and let them pelt us. We chose the latter. Of course, matters weren’t helped when Vieira got a completely cynical set of studs down the back of his thigh from some Blades striker trying to act big - enough was enough and he was never going to be risked any further (Some mysterious padding had appeared on his knee during half time). I’m praying, offering up sacrifices to the god of dodgy knee injuries (Redknappia? Andertonnna?) that he’s fit to face the Mancs. He’s awesome. But he wasn’t man of the match. Oh no.

I don’t intend to try and describe in words THE save. THE save is the best I have ever seen. Ever. You’re going to have to watch it yourself, because nothing I can hack out can do justice to it. On his 1000th senior appearance, David Seaman managed to pull out the most superlative piece of goalkeeping in his entire career - fitting and heart-warming, it really is. A save of the highest order, quite unreal agility, reactions and strength, all in one. How can you get to a ball that has been headed from two yards out and is actually behind you? The angle from behind the goal is breathtaking.

That was in the dying moments, and let me tell you it wasn’t pleasant to watch. It appeared on the TV angle like the ball had crossed the line, and the prospect of extra time wasn’t too appealing at that stage, the Blades having all the momentum and incessantly punting crosses into the box. We go through this now and again, the clock ticking down at an appallingly slow rate, as if Emile Heskey has been tampering with it - you get temporary respite when the ball is hammered downfield, only for it to be humped back in again, usually for Robert Page to win it in the air causing minor panic until Seaman comes and claims like he’s playing in a five-a-side kickabout down his local park, with that big grin across his face. When the heat’s up, having n assured, calm goalie behind the defence carries just as much importance as the presence of any outfield player.

In between half time and THE save, Wiltord had a big chance to wrap things up after a sublime one touch passing move between four or five players, Edu eventually flicking Spinner in who took a swing with power but not accuracy - Kenny saved easily enough. Another move furnished Henry (On for the disappointing Jeffers) with a glaring chance - in on the keeper after Gilberto had laid him off, he chose to flick the ball up and try an overhead volley - hmm. If he had picked his spot first time we would, collectively, have been saved an awfully large amount of fingernail.

Well, as much as I can nit-pick, we’re there. We’ve made it again, and we’ll be the favourites to retain the cup no matter what - as I write, Southampton are drawing 0-0 with Watford, so we’re not exactly quaking in our boots at the prospect of either. The question remains if the same applies towards us from their point of view? I suspect not. Whatever, bring on Wednesday. Because that carries more importance than this did. Magic of the Cup? Nah. Not today, at least.

Man of the Match

Patrick Vieira or Freddie Ljungberg should, by rights, have this for being generally fantastic. As much as I try though, I can’t resist the temptation to give it to David Seaman. For THAT save.

Moment of the Match

THAT save.

Moan of the Match

No matter how much the performance was lacking, I really can’t be bothered thinking about this one. We’re going to Cardiff, so I’ll take a forgiving point of view.

Ally Winford

Arsenal Quotes

It is well known the referees are protected very well like the lions in the zoo so we have to live with their decisions

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom