• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bergkamp - can he still cut it?

Gooner83

Hes been amazing over the years, but this season hes hardly scoring :?

His dribbling is not as good... but his vision and passing is excellent.

I doubt he will earn another years contract with us, he could probably still play on with a team like Bolton but i don't think he wants to do that.

With big games like the CL, i'm a little less confident when Bergy is on.

If Reyes adapts to the Premiership quicker than we think, then Bergy might get tired sitting on the bench.

Do you guys think he will retire at the end of the season?

lewdikris

Established Member
One more year i'd guess - Kanu and Wiltord will leave, so we'll need an old head around, but his role next year won't be much more than Keown has had this season: cover.

reggiepaul

Think it's time over for Bergs now. We need to move on. It would be cool if he hung around to play in the reserves and the odd league cup game too.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Give him another year. He hasn't played as a goalscorer for a couple of years, but he's still the only one who can really make Freddie tick.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
good point.. notice Freddie's production is up this year from last so far.. largely due to Bergy playing in those matches and he can spot him making those runs... although, hopefully with time, Reyes & Freddie can form that type of partnership... Reyes looks like he has great vision too...

Sol man

Wenger will eventually decide when he thinks Dennis is not up to the job. I think he should stay for one more year but Bentley should also be given a lot more first team games in that year. I feel that Keown will also quit this summer because it does not seem like he is as fit as before and when he is fit Wenger does not include him in the line up.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
well, Keown knew coming into the season that he wouldnt be first choice... and i think he understands that, with the emergence of Toure, that he is serving more of a teacher at this point so that the future of our defence is solid... plus, Keown is a very "hard" player, and the way we are looked at right now, might now be good to have him in the lineup all the time (see Old Trafford).... he hasnt been in much since then....

i think Bergy is still good enough to play, although not at his best, good enough to help when he IS in there... plus, his vision is STILL legendary even if he cant finish like he used to be able to... his last "great" season was '01-'02 when he scored some seriously sweet goals and im sure that WILL BE his last "great" season...

A

Anonymous

Sadly time is now up for Dennis imo.
Him playing up front is like a car running with part of the engine not working properly.

I see the arguments for keeping him around another year and to play a 'bit part role.' But i dont think that a player of the stature of DB would accept that, and i think rightly so. He should be carefull of not following in the footsteps of Seaman. If we win things this year it is the perfect time for him to go, and to go out on a high so we can only remember the world class moments he has brought to us.

Also how much longer do we want to hold up the progress of the other DB?

laolu

Sol said:
Sadly time is now up for Dennis imo.
Him playing up front is like a car running with part of the engine not working properly.

I see the arguments for keeping him around another year and to play a 'bit part role.' But i dont think that a player of the stature of DB would accept that, and i think rightly so. He should be carefull of not following in the footsteps of Seaman. If we win things this year it is the perfect time for him to go, and to go out on a high so we can only remember the world class moments he has brought to us.

Also how much longer do we want to hold up the progress of the other DB?

that's a fact, he should leave when the ovation is loudest

reggiepaul

I think Freddie's game improves around Tel, Pires and Wiltord too. I think Fred is an integral part to our counter attacking movement and players work well off him as well as Freddie working along with them.

For me Bergs has slowed down though, and although he is an exceptional player still I feel someone who moves more and flicks the ball around more (i.e. Reyes) is needed more so. I think we will probably get either Kluivert or Van Persie making the outfit at Arsenal even better up front.

The Mini

He rises to the challenge when it matters. In the 3rd double season ( :p ) he was practicly sleeping mid season, but he helped us to start the engine, then help us finish everyone off

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I don't think we should write Dennis off just yet, the man's still class. He might not have had a good game yesterday, but nobody stood out as being superb in those conditions. I for one, would not be comfortable going into next season with Thierry, Jose, Bentley and Jeremie.

wiltord11

yeh bergkamps last best year was the 2002 season he got in double figures for the season but he creates so many chances for us i would like him to have another year and i think wenger will off him anotther one if he finnishes this year of well which i think he will

and i think keown plays well when hes up against van nisteroy he puts him out of the game all the time

DB10

We should keep bergy for at least one more year............. just so that he can teach the youngsters, namely bentley.

Bergy has said he wouldn't consider being a coach when he quits, so i think when he retires it will be for good...............

But, if we win the champs this year,.......it think it would be very hard for him not to consider retiring.... going out on a high note......... unlike seamo.

orion

I think the main thing is will he be happy with seeing more of the bench now that Reyes is in and possibly just starting some lesser games. He never looks happy being subsituted and I'm not sure if he'll be comfortable playing a bit part. But then again I can't see him going anywhere else, it's either he calls it quits or stays for another season, Arsène will make him the offer for sure, it will be up to him to decide what he want's to do.

he said he will finish his career at arsenal, so he wont go to another club.

i think we will need him next year if we lose wiltord and kanu. not enough experience in my oppinion.

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom