• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: Saka The Net

Is Saka a world class player?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 55 37.9%
  • Close, he’ll get there soon

Votes: 71 49.0%
  • No no at all

Votes: 19 13.1%

• Total voters

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

The cope in the last few pages, I see A-M is now focusing on the defensive numbers and crying about everyone hating him. Funny guys :lol:

Meanwhile the guy I got pelted for rating on a similar level is about to sweep the player of the season awards. :lol:

What cope? His defensive numbers are mad and he hits elite attacking numbers. He's a unicorn 🦄 in that sense.

Foden wins POTY while having basically the same G/A and worse underlying numbers than Saka. Bukayo wasn't even on the short list :lol:

GDeep™

League is very weak
What cope? His defensive numbers are mad and he hits elite attacking numbers. He's a unicorn 🦄 in that sense.

Foden wins POTY while having basically the same G/A and worse underlying numbers than Saka. Bukayo wasn't even on the short list :lol:
I don’t think Foden has any penalties, while Saka has had 6/7. This extra goal scoring moments are going to stand out.

Nobody cares about defensive numbers.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Not at all, think he’s rated very highly and even the saltiest of rival fans know deep down he’s a very good player.

I think this level of discourse around his ability started with Arsenal fans crowning him as WC and rival fans basically not having it.

Similar things have definitely happened on here I’m sure with us reluctant to rate rival players as we should, eventually said player just pulls out a season that absolutely nobody can deny. I hope Saka does the same.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Putting club and country in there and using CIES rankings is just silly really. This fanbase doesn’t help itself.

It’s weird because I don’t know why everyone else is trying to force Saka into these conversations, if anything it should be Rice and maybe Ødegaard. They’re the ones being nominated for the big individual awards this season.

Lastly, I’m sure Saka was up for these awards last season. Why cry about it this season when there are more deserving winners and two/three other Arsenal players being nominated?

Putting club and country in there and using CIES rankings is just silly really. This fanbase doesn’t help itself.

It’s weird because I don’t know why everyone else is trying to force Saka into these conversations, if anything it should be Rice and maybe Ødegaard. They’re the ones being nominated for the big individual awards this season.

Lastly, I’m sure Saka was up for these awards last season. Why cry about it this season when there are more deserving winners and two/three other Arsenal players being nominated?

I think Saka is better than both Palmer and Foden and was better than both these season.

Lets just agree to disagree on this one.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Not at all, think he’s rated very highly and even the saltiest of rival fans know deep down he’s a very good player.

I think this level of discourse around his ability started with Arsenal fans crowning him as WC and rival fans basically not having it.

Similar things have definitely happened on here I’m sure with us reluctant to rate rival players as we should, eventually said player just pulls out a season that absolutely nobody can deny. I hope Saka does the same.

Many don't want to admit that he's failed the eyetest and without set pieces his quiet periods would be far more glaring. He has too many ineffective games for sustained periods to be considered world class for now, but people really force it.

If you look at some of the attackers getting stick right now, it's guys like Martinelli or Rashford who are in and out the team and do not have set pieces to mask indifferent displays like we have seen with Saka.

He's been elite, but they can't put all the Arsenal players in these lists and Ødegaard + Rice are more deserving. Their attacking numbers aren't even crazy btw so it's clearly not down to purely numbers or defending.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant

Spot on

outlawz

Depends who you speak to. I personally have never given a single sh*t, it's not how I rate an attacking player at all.
Times have changed, our attackers ability to defend and win tackles is a fundamental part of how we play. It's like when people would disregard a fullbacks ability to attack.

Nevertheless, I don't think Saka gets treated as best in class because he's excellent across the board, but isn't exceptional at any one thing that gets people talking.

Bucephalus

Many don't want to admit that he's failed the eyetest and without set pieces his quiet periods would be far more glaring. He has too many ineffective games for sustained periods to be considered world class for now, but people really force it.

If you look at some of the attackers getting stick right now, it's guys like Martinelli or Rashford who are in and out the team and do not have set pieces to mask indifferent displays like we have seen with Saka.

He's been elite, but they can't put all the Arsenal players in these lists and Ødegaard + Rice are more deserving. Their attacking numbers aren't even crazy btw so it's clearly not down to purely numbers or defending.
Eye test is silly and subjective. This isn't figure skating. Game is decided by who puts the most goals in, and his G/A is top notch. As are his defensive stats if you buy into modern metrics.

Moreover, it's a team game, and the other team gets to assert its tactics, too. If Martinelli wasn't having such a poor season, teams wouldn't be able to so blatantly double and even triple team Saka.

And my subjective eye test is that he very rarely has an indifferent game. Rather, he has games where lack of service/persistent double and triple teams give him little opportunity. And periods against very top clubs where he has to drop back and put in a defensive shift. With the former, he responsibly recycles the ball and retains possession rather than dribbling into a dead end; with the latter, he always stands up to his defensive duties.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Times have changed, our attackers ability to defend and win tackles is a fundamental part of how we play. It's like when people would disregard a fullbacks ability to attack.

This is nonsense because if under a different manager an attacking player has less defensive responsibility and he's suddenly not pulling up trees then what?

Defending can sometimes be somewhere for ineffective attacking players to hide. Furthermore, attackers with freedom isn't stuck in a bygone era, it's prevalent today. How much defending do you think Haaland, Salah and Havertz do? The top 3 teams in this league btw. I could go onto Mbappe, Leao, some others.

This yearning for defending attackers is something that has come along with Arteta, to explain away the treatment of unpopular players or cope with indifferent form of favourites being burdened.

It's not a real thing just something many regurgitate without really thinking.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
The reason I posted those defensive stats wasn’t to celebrate his numbers, it was because they were being directly compared to his peers and how much more of a burden he has placed on him. There’s an argument to be made it’s limiting his effectiveness going forward.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
You brits should stop comparing Saka Palmer and Foden and just be happy you have three generational talents on your hand

outlawz

This is nonsense because if under a different manager an attacking player has less defensive responsibility and he's suddenly not pulling up trees then what?

Defending can sometimes be somewhere for ineffective attacking players to hide. Furthermore, attackers with freedom isn't stuck in a bygone era, it's prevalent today. How much defending do you think Haaland, Salah and Havertz do? The top 3 teams in this league btw. I could go onto Mbappe, Leao, some others.

This yearning for defending attackers is something that has come along with Arteta, to explain away the treatment of unpopular players or cope with indifferent form of favourites being burdened.

It's not a real thing just something many regurgitate without really thinking.

Name the managers who don't demand their attackers to press, defend or win possession. All the top teams today employ attackers with defensive responsibilities whether that be front foot defending i.e pressing, or back foot defending i.e. recoveries. Just look at how much stick attackers who don't do the work cop nowaways, see Rashford.

Have you been living under a rock? It started long before Arteta with Klopp and Pep more recently, and Sacchi before them with his high court pressing Milan sides.

Defending is one of many factors to judge an attacker, and a small factor at that, but it's not irrelevant. I also don't think it's some travesty he wasn't nominated for POTS, so don't make the error of thinking we are on opposite sides of the wider debate.

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, June 1

Arsenal are pushing to sign Benjamin Šeško, but no final decision has been made yet [Sky Germany]

RB Leipzig want to give Šeško a new contract to remove his release clause, with Arsenal/Chelsea/Manchester United all interested [Sky Germany]

AC Milan have made signing defender Jakub Kiwior their priority this summer [Santi Aouna - FootMercato]

Arsenal enquire about £17m-rated Barcelona defender Mikayil Faye [MailSport]

Latest posts

Top Bottom