• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Declan Rice: Cooking Again

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Feels like it was just one of these games that wasn't really about playing well, but just about winning to get over that mental hurdle.

Some of his tackles/interceptions in midfield today were top class at least.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are

Yeah, been saying this for a while, for all his qualities he is not a single pivot in a team that wants to control the ball.
It reminds me of when Sarri went to Chelsea and played Jorginho six and Kante as an eight, all our media took the piss out of him and claimed he’d lost the plot.
“Kante is the best defensive midfielder in the world”, when forced to explain (because they’re all clueless) he told them that in his system the six is your distributer, your quarterback, winning the ball is secondary.
City would have doubtlessly used Rice alongside Rodri, we need a Rodri rather than the Xavi Simons, Paqueta types people are calling for.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
It doesn't matter where he is, his role is still to win physical battles in midfield and break up play, the higher you play him the better chances we have to break play further up the pitch. He covers so much ground that it feels like he is playing 2 positions. His position will change based on the team around him and some ideas from the manager

The biggest thing for me is that he is very technical on top of his superb defensive skills, I don't see the ball bouncing off him on the first touch, he can run with the ball and his passing is solid, doesn't give the ball away for free

Looking at the top 10 most expensive players in the PL, think he is the only one worthy of the price

Riou

@Macho Gilberto v Rice debate is over now, imho.

No Prem for Declan this season (West Ham are getting bent over at the Etihad something fierce!) which means he can't beat Mr Silva's first Arsenal season now...and Rice has to win an FA cup and an Unbeaten Prem title next year, just to match my boy's first 2 seasons at the club...but this also means a 4th trophyless season for us though...

artworks-jixT9QAGwU4utMEz-yFMfLQ-t1080x1080.jpg

GoonerJay24

It doesn't matter where he is, his role is still to win physical battles in midfield and break up play, the higher you play him the better chances we have to break play further up the pitch. He covers so much ground that it feels like he is playing 2 positions. His position will change based on the team around him and some ideas from the manager

The biggest thing for me is that he is very technical on top of his superb defensive skills, I don't see the ball bouncing off him on the first touch, he can run with the ball and his passing is solid, doesn't give the ball away for free

Looking at the top 10 most expensive players in the PL, think he is the only one worthy of the price

Breaking up play further up the pitch is generally a collective effort through counter-pressing. Not an individual assignment; everybody has to press in packs once the balls lost

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

It reminds me of when Sarri went to Chelsea and played Jorginho six and Kante as an eight, all our media took the piss out of him and claimed he’d lost the plot.
“Kante is the best defensive midfielder in the world”, when forced to explain (because they’re all clueless) he told them that in his system the six is your distributer, your quarterback, winning the ball is secondary.

I dunno where I stand with Rice at 6 or 8 and will leave that to Mikel, but I do remember this you are spot on here.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Almost everything in football is a collective effort, but that doesn't mean everyone does it at the same level.

The amount of people who see defending as a binary "Can he defend, Yes/No?" question is baffling to me. People will spend ages wanking off attackers for various things but the other half of the game is largely ignored or minimized.

It requires like 5x the game intelligence to defend than it does to attack. Your mistakes are more costly, you have to read several other players' minds constantly and you have to be acutely aware of every other teammate on the pitch as well as the opposition.

It's literally impossible to be impervious at both things because there's only so many hours in your life to train, and most brains are just wired to do one or the other. If Rice had the on-ball ability of someone like Modric we'd literally be talking about the GOAT footballer who'd sleepwalk his way to Ballon d'Ors ffs.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
True but we're a possession based team

In order to be a possession based team you need to be able to... win back possession...

Also I dont think we are as possession based as you think we are anymore anyway. Seen plenty of pragmatic football this season and I've got time for it.

GoonerJay24

In order to be a possession based team you need to be able to... win back possession...

Also I dont think we are as possession based as you think we are anymore anyway. Seen plenty of pragmatic football this season and I've got time for it.

Possession-based teams win the ball back through counter-pressing due to their higher positioning. Teams with different tactics need a destroyer during transitions to protect the defense. That's proven throughout history.

I agree with your point on our current style; it seems Arteta has gone in another direction. I'm unsure if I agree with it, but we'll see.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
Possession-based teams win the ball back through counter-pressing due to their higher positioning.

Yeah, I just meant that Rice is really really really good at winning the ball high up the pitch as a 8 when we pressing (as well as when he’s playing as a 6).

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

:lol::lol:

All for the camera this guy what's wrong with him?

The hammers seem happy anyways, which i equally till this day still don't get. I would want to see my favourite player push on if I think they can reach a new level which Rice has.

Had Saka moved to City when we were an Europa level team I'd be like fair dos for eg.

Riou

:lol::lol:

All for the camera this guy what's wrong with him?

The hammers seem happy anyways, which i equally till this day still don't get. I would want to see my favourite player push on if I think they can reach a new level which Rice has.

Had Saka moved to City when we were an Europa level team I'd be like fair dos for eg.

Think I saw some stuff of Kai and Bukayo crying as well, seemed a little much for me.

The title was gone probably by Villa and definitely after City beat Sp**s,players shouldn't be crying I think as they should have come to terms with it by now...a bit too Son-esque.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Thought he was shocking today, has been like that a few times recently. There was periods where he was looking like he was repaying the money with ease, a few times tho he's just not looked great at all, poor execution and selection of passes at times, being real clumsy a lot of the time too. Would like to see a more consistent season from him next.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I thought today was his worst game here but I've been pleasantly surprised at the other facets to his game. Hell never have Partey's calmness under pressure or forward passes but get him the right partner and if he keeps calm when it matters, then he'll be better next season.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 23

Arsenal have agreed to part ways with midfielder Sambi Lokonga following talks with the player [Evening Standard]

Arsenal are likely to be priced out of a move for Sporting Lisbon’s £86m striker Viktor Gyokeres [Football Insider]

Arsenal are considering a move for Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow as a replacement for Aaron Ramsdale [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Ajax LB Jorrel Hato remains the club’s top defensive target [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom