• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Favourite goals

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Insomnia strikes and it got me thinking, I wonder what everyone's favourite Arsenal goal is? To find out, I'm posting this topic.
Simply put, everyone should suggest 20 Arsenal goals that they love. Ranking them 1-20 (1 being the best), points will be awarded in reverse fashion- so if you think Thierry's goal against Sp**s last season is your fave, that'll get 20 points- and the 32 goals with most points will match up knockout style against each other to get a last 16, then a last 8 and so on.
To get everyone started, here are mine;

1) Wrighty's juggle and lob. Everton 1993,
2) Anders Limpar's 45 yard lob. Liverpool 1992,
3) Paul Merson's 25 yard thunderbolt. Leeds (FA Cup) 1993,
4) Dennis Bergkamp's spin. Newcastle 02,
5) Thierry Henry's spin and volley. Manchester United 2000,
6) Mickey Thomas "It's Up For Grabs Now!". Liverpool 89,
7) Ray Parlour's exocet. Valencia 2001,
8) Robert Pires' lob over Schmeicel 02,
9) Kanu dummies Deportivo. 2000,
10) Alan Smith's volley. Parma 1994,
11) Dennis Bergkamp bamboozles Matt Elliott. Leicester 1997,
12) Thierry Henry from the halfway line. Tottenham 02,
13) Ian Wright's volley. Manchester United (Charity Shield)1993,
14) Tony Adams seals the title. Everton 1998,
15) David Rocastle's chip over Schmeicel. Manchester United, 1992.
16) David Bentley's first senior goal. M'boro 04,
17) Kanu's winner. Chelsea 99,
18) "Donkey wins the derby!". Sp**s 1993,
19) Nigel Winterburn's last minute winner. Chelsea 1997,
20) Robert Pires' winner at Liverpool. 2003.

Arsene

1) Thierry Henry from the halfway line. Tottenham 02
2) Dennis Bergkamp's spin. Newcastle 02
3) Thierry Henry's spin and volley. Manchester United 00

torgrim

Now we're talking good topics!

There are a few goals here that give me shivers just by thinking about them. But how am I supposed to choose among so many great Arsenal moments? There are goals that just feel great because they're so important: Anfield '89. Other goals are just beautiful: Bergkamp's spin. For some reason, I've always fancied nice plays over solo-efforts, Henry's goal against Leverkusen finished of some exelent one-touch combinations and smart moves involving Pires, Paddy, Bergkamp and Nino before Henry smacked it home. The play must have left the Leverkusen defence feeling totally inadequit, hoping that the match would be over soon. Then it's the way goals are created, like Bergkamps brilliant chip that left Ljungberg free to score against Juve.

But my favorite is Pires' chip over Schmeichel. Partly because it is a brilliant goal and because Pires makes it look so easy, but also because of how he left the TV pundits in awe:

...Ljungberg, there's a ball on here for Pires, back goes Boateng, and Robert Pires has got the better of him and he looks to get the better of Schmeichel!

Ohh!

And he's dunnit! Impeccably!

Ohh! I'm sorry I'm applauding, that's genius, that's genius! You don't buy them, they don't come in packets! Ahh!

EDITS: Norwegian grammar+ English language= ****e.

beaney

i guess it depends what type of goal you like seeing.

for me, i love individual efforts. moments of skill and pure class!

others prefer team efforts and build up goals.

there are too many to chose!

in terms of skill, bergys against Newcastle( or even his one against Leicester when he got the hattrick) was second to none, technically perfect.

Henry against Manure, vision, touch and maybe a little bit of luck. but the occassion was half the goal.

Micky Thomas, the occassion, the tension, the unbeliveable RELIEF when it went it! OMG! that has to be the best in terms of how i felt after the goal!

With bergy i was awestruck, i simply couldnt believe it.
with henrys i was shouting, agressively, taking it to the mancs!
with micky thomas, i cried. soooo overjoyed, more emotion and feeling than the quality of the goal. it was the moment.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
1. Charlie Nich against the spuds. Any of them really, but especially that one he scored in the North Bank goal when he turned the whole defence.

2. DB10 against newcastle. Nuff said.

3. Henry, from the half way line. Again, nuff said.

4. Limpar's lob from virtually the half way line against the scousers.

5. Wrighty messing with Southalls head when he did the juggle. It was so beautiful to see Nev's face as the ball floated over him.

Special mention : Kanu's goal against Depor just because it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

thegame24

Established Member
I cant think too many goals.

but the one that made me scream loudest

WILTOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRDDDDDD at OT May 2002.

wasnt the best but it felt the best.

Pat's missing Gerbil

all of the above and 4 from the fullbacks who have not been mentioned

Nigel winterburn against chelsea

Silvinho against chelsea

Ash against moscow (great in terms of timing and importance, and I doubt we would have seen the inter result with out it)

Lauren against Yes youve got it! chelsea

and I strongly object to TH14 goal against spuds being called "Thierry Henry from the halfway line. Tottenham 02". He was well in side his own half!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Gooner83

The 4 goals that stand out for me in no order are;

The one where Wright got the ball at the halfway line and ran the whole way up the pitch.

Bergy spin against newcastle on premiership plus.

Pires, lob over Schiemichael

Henry, flicked it up and hit it on the turn against United.

Eastrek

1. Dennis Bergkamp (Newcastle away)
2. Kanu (Middlesbrough away - that little flick)
3. Kanu (Deportivo home)
4. Patrick Vieria (Man Utd home 97/98 )
5. Micheal Thomas (Liverpool away)
6. Thierry Henry (Man Utd home)
7. Charlie George (Liverpool cup final)
8. Paul Merson (Bourisia Monchengladbach away)
9. Patrick Vieria (Newcastle home)
10. Dennis Bergkamp (Sunderland away)
11. Thierry Henry (Tottenham home)
12. Ian Wright (Leeds away)
13. Silvinho (Chelsea away)
14. Kanu (Chelsea away)
15. Bergkamp (Leicester away)
16. Wright (Swindon away)
17. Bergkamp (Leverkusen home)
18. Bergkamp (Mallorca home - had to mention it simply for Van B's cross)
19. Bergkamp (Bolton home - got us in to Europe)
20. Suker (Sunderland home)

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
one of mine from recent years (in addition to the many great ones mentioned) is Toure's goal against Chelsea last year... he ran all around the pitch over to AW as if to say "this one was for you".. he was just SO happy to contribute. THAT'S what football is all about....

A

Anonymous

1. Overmars vs Man Utd Away 1998

Other than that there is no way I can order these 2-20, so in no particular order

Ljungberg vs Liverpool Away 2001
Wiltord vs Man Utd Away 2002
Pires vs Villa Away 2002
Pires vs Liverpool Away 2003
Parlour vs Chelsea FA Cup Final 2002
Ljungberg vs Chelsea FA Cup Final 2002
Kanu vs Chelsea Away 1999
Kanu vs Sp**s Away 1999
Wiltord vs Man Utd Away 2002
Smith vs Parma Cup Winners Cup Final 1994
Thomas vs Liverpool Away 1989 (Wasnt old enough to remember this but you have to appreciate it, just from the videos it makes me very happy)
Bergkamp vs Newcastle Away 2002
Platt vs Man Utd Home 1997
Silvinho vs Chelsea Away 2001
Winterburn vs Chelsea Away 1997
Henry vs West Ham Away 2002
Bergkamp vs Leicester Away (any of the 3) 1997
Henry vs Roma Away (either his first or the free kick) 2002
Henry vs Sp**s Home 2002
Vieira vs Man Utd Home 1997

lewdikris

Established Member
Bizarre selection:

Kanu, when he flicked the ball backwards over Stephen Carr's head in, er, 2000 (I think)..

Bergy, when we lost against Barcelona at home 98/99 - amazing footwork.

David Platt's header vs Man U in 98 - the moment I knew the league was won.

A Wriighty goal in 93 (I think) where his left boot fell off so he curled it in to the top corner with his right. Classy. Think it was in the league cup, but i may be wrong.

O, and all the obvious ones...

Mark

Established Member
i'm a young fan so i probably don't remember as many great goals as some of you on here but i'll give it a go.

1. Henry's flick and volley against Man U
2. Bergkamp's spin against Newcastle
3. Ljungberg's curler against Chelsea in FA Cup Final
4. Pires's lob over Shmeichel against Aston Villa
5. Ljungberg's lob over Barthez against Man U
6. Bergkamp's third goal against Leicester in that 3-3 draw
7. Parlour's fantastic strike against Chelsea in FA Cup Final
8. Bergkamp's first goal against Leicester in that 3-3 draw
9. Pires's curler against Liverpool this year
10. Henry's second against Inter this year
11. Silvinho against Chelsea away in 2001
12. Henry's goal against West Ham away last season
13. Pires's lob against Southampton last season
14. Henry's thundering strike against Man City yesterday
15. Bergkamp's lob against Leverkusen
16. Henry's cool finish against Mallorca
17. Bentley's goal against Middlesbrough
18. Ashley Cole against West Brom last season
19. Bergkamp's second ever goal for Arsenal against Southampton
20. Henry's volley against Nantes

Allyboy

Established Member
David Platts goal against Stoke in a 5-2 win the League Cup in what I think was 1996.

Ball whipped into the box once the keeper had been drawn away, Platty is the only player in the penalty box, yet somehow trips over and end up chesting it into the net :D

Henry's goal against United last year was incredible for me, I even wrote a mini article about it.

Jumping with joy moments which have not been touched on too greatly include:

Keowns 2nd against Shaktar Donestk, with 5 mins to go it looked like we would never get an equaliser let alone a winner, when Keown prodded home I went nuts!

Anelka against Man U in 1997, it came from absolutely no where and showed what we were to get from him the next season.

Linighan's 1993 FA Cup winner and Schwarz's equaliser in the 95 CWC Semi against Sampdoria are also up there.

Bergkamp's chip against Leverkusan in 2002 was pure genius (im gutted I left before Bentley's similar one in the FA Cup two weeks ago!) Like wise Pires' against Villa from the same season.

But to finish my lot off I am going to go back to 1991 and Paul Merson's winner against Liverpool away and Arsenal's 3rd in the 3-0 home win earlier in the season. The latter saw Seaman hoof it upfield, Smith backheeled it into Mersons path and he smashed it first time into the back of Liverpools net. (I may have got that the wrong way round though). As for the goal at Anfield well the Merse was played through beautifully and was one on one with Grobbelar.
It was a battle of wills but Merson slipped it past him and we won 1 nil and to be honest never looked like losing it after that.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
There can only be one ....

Dixon plays up to Smith..on to ...thomas, and its Thomas bursting through the midfield....its up for grabs now.....

My god - if only sex could be that good...just typing it feels fantastic

Special mention to Bouldy's through ball onto big tone 98 vs everton....

3rd place to limpaar from he halfway line & then Kanoo from the corner flag

thank god i don't support someone like birmingham!! :D

Mark

Established Member
i've seen the thomas goal, it was brilliant. i wish i had experienced it but i was one year old at the time and upstairs sleeping, my dad informs me. :D

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
I copied this off a site ages ago...

"Arsenal come streaming forward now in surely what will be their last attack.
A good ball by Dixon finding Smith, for Thomas charging through the midfield,
Thomas, its up for grabs now! Thomas right at the end. An unbelievable climax
to the League season. "

RIP Brian.

Arsenal Quotes

When Patrick Vieira came over from AC Milan, he didn’t know a word of English. We gave him accommodation, phone, car and an English teacher. I talked to Patrick in fluent French and before a game I asked in French, can you speak a bit of English to me? Patrick nodded and replied: Tottenham are shit!

David Dein

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom