• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kylian Mbappé

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
To think this lad had a trial at Chelski and they opted not to sign him. Their youth policy is embarrassing.
To be fair, Chelsea have a bevy of talents not too far off from the level of talent that Mbappe displays. But I agree - their youth policy is pretty shameful, that a talent like Loftus-Cheek only gets minuscule minutes is a good example of that. They will probably lose all of them, they will likely only want to keep Musonda and even he might go.

As for Mbappe, he looks better at 18 than Henry did, but that could also mean that he is closer to his peak. If not, then he could be scarily good. Which means that for now, he is nowhere on our radar as a potential target. He's already looking past/above us for his next move I feel, much like Ousmane Dembele.

In the inevitability that we will fail to draw talents like Mbappe here, I would like if we used our own academy products more frequently because they are also talented, and the only reason why we do not talk about our own in the same bracket is because they don't get chances to play outside of crappy loans and PL2 standard football. There's no reason why guys like Nelson, AMN and even Mavididi - who's had an impressive start to first team football so far - can't get to a similar level. They've just never had the platform that clubs like Monaco, Rennes and others have. I wouldn't even say it's because of the amount of talent we have in our squad because as good as our squad is, we've got quite a few surpassable squad players in there.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
To be fair, Chelsea have a bevy of talents not too far off from the level of talent that Mbappe displays. But I agree - their youth policy is pretty shameful, that a talent like Loftus-Cheek only gets minuscule minutes is a good example of that. They will probably lose all of them, they will likely only want to keep Musonda and even he might go.

As for Mbappe, he looks better at 18 than Henry did, but that could also mean that he is closer to his peak. If not, then he could be scarily good. Which means that for now, he is nowhere on our radar as a potential target. He's already looking past/above us for his next move I feel, much like Ousmane Dembele.

In the inevitability that we will fail to draw talents like Mbappe here, I would like if we used our own academy products more frequently because they are also talented, and the only reason why we do not talk about our own in the same bracket is because they don't get chances to play outside of crappy loans and PL2 standard football. There's no reason why guys like Nelson, AMN and even Mavididi - who's had an impressive start to first team football so far - can't get to a similar level. They've just never had the platform that clubs like Monaco, Rennes and others have. I wouldn't even say it's because of the amount of talent we have in our squad because as good as our squad is, we've got quite a few surpassable squad players in there.

Good post, agree on pretty much everything. I'd love to see more of our academy boys. Watching the same lads (cough, Theo) fail every year is boring.

Chelski have some unreal young players. Jay Dasilva, Dominic Solanke (who we apparently want), Lewis Baker, Musonda and RLC as you mentioned- all fantastic young players who could achieve whatever they want.

Mbappe though... Christ. I remember watching Martial against us when Monaco knocked us out the CL, I knew he was a player. I got the Thierry comparisons, but he's more Anelka. Mbappe on the other hand, so, so Titi-like it's frightening.

TH14 himself has come out and said Mbappe is miles ahead of where he was at 18. He's right at the top of my wishlist atm, for many reasons.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I mean - would we be willing to spend 60M to get a kid like Mbappe? That's a huge risk, definitely not one that I see this club touching, not whilst Arsène is around anyways.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Don't get your hopes too high. Dembele was a very different situation, Rennes screwed up by not offering him an extension and were forced to add a release clause (of sorts) in his contract. BVB basically got him free.
Draxler was in a tough spot at Wolfsburg and they were desperate to get rid of him.
The folks at Monaco sold Martial and James for around 80 M each. They will keep Mbappe the next couple of seasons and if he continues to progress, he will not go for lower.
:(

Either get him now or in a year for a fee that will make your eyes water or wait for him to realise his potential meaning we can't afford him.

One thing though, he's so young. There's still a small chance that he might not realise the potential. Doubt it though, pissed off I missed the game.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Can't get the worldie talents and can't get the established worldies either.

You start to wonder how our embarassments (which always seem to be on the biggest stage) have affected our reputation.

Aevi

Hale End FC

Exactly my gripe.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

It's funny because we've come full circle since 07/08...we used to cry out for some quality experience to cement the worldie youth talents we had ie. Cesc, RvP, Nasri and now we've got, from all reports, a youth team packed with top talents who aren't getting enough exposure due to us having signed too many experienced cloggers/squad filler :lol:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It's funny because we've come full circle since 07/08...we used to cry out for some quality experience to cement the worldie youth talents we had ie. Cesc, RvP, Nasri and now we've got, from all reports, a youth team packed with top talents who aren't getting enough exposure due to us having signed too many experienced cloggers/squad filler :lol:
I can remember back then being one of very few who was happy for the youth project to continue.

I mean - would we be willing to spend 60M to get a kid like Mbappe? That's a huge risk, definitely not one that I see this club touching, not whilst Arsène is around anyways.

Shows you the difference between us and United, City, Chelsea and etc...

We are miles behind in competing for the elite talents. We are miles behind competing for honors and its not just Wenger standing in the way but also our finical model and owners.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Shows you the difference between us and United, City, Chelsea and etc...

We are miles behind in competing for the elite talents. We are miles behind competing for honors and its not just Wenger standing in the way but also our finical model and owners.

I would rather pay significant transfer fees for world class talents than keep 4-5 cloggers/fillers on ridiculously high wages like we do now. That's our problem. We can afford these talents but we piss money away on average players like Coquelin, Giroud etc

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

First step is for the new manager to clear out the last 3-4 spaces in the club filled with cloggers and replace them with the cream of the crop from the academy as well as young talents scouted from elsewhere.

For example we have no business having three senior strikers, that third spot should be for a high potential young striker.

Malky

Established Member
Can't wait when this lad moves to City/United/Chelsea/Madrid and we get Wengers usual " I knew about him (Mbappé) before he signed with Monaco, we had the chance to bring him to Arsenal then, but we had just signed Sanogo and had alot of faith that he was the future of Arsenal "

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Only hope is that we can offer this lad more minutes than any other top club. That's assuming he doesn't become good enough to walk into any side within the next year.

Honestly we're not signing anymore world class players so I don't mind investing in the future, he's probably good enough to start for us now anyway and he's only going to get better.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
Can't wait when this lad moves to City/United/Chelsea/Madrid and we get Wengers usual " I knew about him (Mbappé) before he signed with Monaco, we had the chance to bring him to Arsenal then, but we had just signed Sanogo and had alot of faith that he was the future of Arsenal "

"I knew about Mbappe from the beginning, I remember telling his mother he could be the best in the world.
Unfortunately the umbilical cord was still attached and I was asked to leave before we could complete the paperwork."

Aevi

Hale End FC
Seeing as his fee will be astronomically high, I wonder if we could end up getting Dybala for the same money. I'd prefer him at that point.

Not that the club would go there, but...

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Seeing as his fee will be astronomically high, I wonder if we could end up getting Dybala for the same money. I'd prefer him at that point.

Not that the club would go there, but...

Feel like with the fees/hype involved in getting Mbappe or Dybala with the clubs who'd be involved, we'd have a much better chance to get either Martial or Rashford who could maybe be tempted for a move/fresh start/more playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom