• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mate, let's all laugh at Tottenham!

GOONER1991

Established Member
Sp**s completely deserve top 4 this season over the likes of Liverpool and Man United. I like what Pochettino has done to clean up the mess Levy gave him. Young, powerful team who will run most teams off the park - as they nearly did to us at home.

They are missing the magic of a true top team though. The magic Özil and Alexis give us, or Aguero, Silva and Toure give to City. Think it's a joke that the media suddenly have them in the title race - after a last minute off side goal to beat a 10 man Watford. I guess it's to keep it interesting. Don't even think Sp**s fans believe that they are in it.

Controversial, but good luck to them. I personally don't hate Sp**s, and enjoy our rivalry. As long as they are not finishing above us, especially this season, I think Pochettino deserves his dues and to get top4 above United and Liverpool.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Think it's a joke that the media suddenly have them in the title race - after a last minute off side goal to beat a 10 man Watford. I guess it's to keep it interesting. Don't even think Sp**s fans believe that they are in it.

I agree that they lack a certain magic. They are functional, but Alli Lamela, & Eriksen provide a bit of flair between them. Anyway, functionality didn't harm Chelsea.

Actually, the lucky way in which they grabbed 3 points has me particularly worried. It was reminiscent of classic Fergie era Man Utd. Watford go down to 10 men stupidly, ball gets cleared off the Sp**s goal line by 1cm, the GK takes a risky pass in search of the win, Watford player couldn't control it, Tottenham pick it up and end up scoring an sublime flicked last minute goal (albeit offside). They knew they had to capitalise on that Watford error and they went for it.

They've been grinding out draws, having a slow stable start, and the teams around them have failed to get away from them. They are in the title race until such a time as they are put out of it by their competitors. They've been building resilience and belief and now they have responded very strongly to defeat against Newcastle with their best run of wins. they know that they need to start picking up more wins and they believe in themselves. That Watford win is huge.

Also, people are not giving them a chance based on one win. Apart from Leicester (who I don't believe have enough quality), they are the form team in the league across the season so far. They are the most consistent team across the season and they are also the form team, picking up the most points over the last 3 games and also the last 10 games. They have the momentum more than any other team right now. They have huge quality, especially in terms of their manager who rotates his team more than Wenger, their GK, CF, CB. They also have the best defensive record and goal difference.

They lack the experience, but they also lack the pressure that Arsenal and Man City are under. They are serious contenders and it would be foolish to discount them. Also, they are acting like a proper football club for once, not like the shambles they used to be. Setting themselves apart from the chequebook clubs who are embarrassing themselves by signing too many players and players who cannot justify the prices paid.

Last edited:

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
You must be a Sp**s supporter @Rocky

Up to the Southampton loss, we were the best defense in the league, and this was the case with Santi, Coquelin and Koscielny out of the first team.

The second point I want to raise is that the nature of the competition this year, combined with the poor spells Arsenal and City have shown and continue to show. Also Ill throw in the implosion of United and Chelsea as well.

Sp**s deserve credit for their good work this season, but lets put it all into context. A relatively injury free unit, competitive league, usual suspect implosions, poor form from contenders and we see this different look to the league.

They are favourites for top 4 at least, but a new found and potential league winner? I dont think so.

Rocky

You must be a Sp**s supporter @Rocky

Up to the Southampton loss, we were the best defense in the league, and this was the case with Santi, Coquelin and Koscielny out of the first team.

The second point I want to raise is that the nature of the competition this year, combined with the poor spells Arsenal and City have shown and continue to show. Also Ill throw in the implosion of United and Chelsea as well.

Sp**s deserve credit for their good work this season, but lets put it all into context. A relatively injury free unit, competitive league, usual suspect implosions, poor form from contenders and we see this different look to the league.

They are favourites for top 4 at least, but a new found and potential league winner? I dont think so.

I'm not a Sp**s fan, but I dislike them less than Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea because they play young British players and are being run like a proper club not a chequebook.

I note that you haven't actually disagreed with any of the points I've made? You've just come up with caveats correct? If you can argue my points please do. I would like to be convinced that I've gone mad.

Yes, there are a few teams with good defensive records, but I was responding to someone who thought that Tottenham were being tipped after a couple of wins. That simply isn't true, and their defensive base is an important part of it. If it were just that issue upon which I was basing my argument, then you'd have a point, but I've noted the quality they possess and other factors. The reason they've overtaken Arsenal in goals against is because Arsenal went and got hammered by Southampton, a team who Sp**s just went and beat 2-0, they could be turning point results in this race.

While the question marks around their ability to deal with the title run in mentally are clear and rightly the bookies put them as third favourites, I genuinely believe they can do it, and in an unpredictable league where I see 3 genuine contenders, I am changing my prediction to picking them (after the Norwich game) on the basis of their consistency and some of their qualities including the fact that they can keep Harry Kane fit and are likely to bring in another striker in January, while Aguero is a walking injury and Bony is not very good, Kompany can't stay fit and Mangala and Otamendi are quite bad, Arsenal have key players in midfield out for 1-3 months, Özil has played a lot and we don't know when Ramsey's next hamstring injury will come (judging by the 4 he's had since the start of last season, sadly quite soon is likely).

The nature of the competition is different from previous seasons yes, but you can't excuse away the fact that up to now, Sp**s have looked the best team in terms of their results. That is the way I see it despite the points that they have to make up. It isn't a big gap.

The longer they stay in it, the more interesting it will get. Will they bottle it if they get to a run in? Yes there is a serious chance that they will. But surely at this point, there is a very good chance that they are at least going to stay in the race until late. I just don't see how that can't be accepted apart from based on inexperience?

The Leicester - Man City game just strengthens my belief. Sp**s especially will love that result having picked up 3 wins on the spin.

Last edited:

SA Gunner

There is no denying that they are in fantastic nick @Rocky

You raise an interesting point though, in that you highlight the nature of injuries to all the contenders for the title, however omit Sp**s from exactly the same issues.

Its therein where my argument comes from. The situation of the league this year, gives the impression (in my mind at least) that Sp**s have somehow now elevated themselves to title winning level without it having anything to do with the state of the competitors around them.

They look great, solid, Potchetino has done great there, but its no different from a Crystal Palace for example. Point Im trying to make is that they are one of the best, but as usual the best of the rest.

I dont see them doing much this year, they have a chance at top 3 but thats if United stay in the rut they are. If United get back to their usual form, it will be Sp**s for 4th this year, and guess what... thats because Chelsea are out of it.

Rocky

Yes, the injuries have played a part, but as I've said. Man City look flakey when Kompany and Aguero are out and they are always injured. Aguero has played half fit for a couple of games because Bony is not good enough. The reason is that all of City's best players have been at the club for years, their recent signings are expensive but lack the quality to back up those fees. Arsenal's injury record is horrible. There is a serious chance that this could be maintained for the rest of the season.

It is quite different from Palace for me. They have already lost 6 games, and have scored 10 less goals than Sp**s. In most other seasons, I'd expect to see Sp**s goal difference being dwarfed by that of 3 or 4 teams. Right now they are top because they are scoring and defending, plain and simple.

I'm not pretending that the situation of the league is not important. The difference is, their improvement is based on a new manager getting great results and them having some seriously competitive quality in key positions.

I would equate this situation very much with the year when Pool nearly won it until Stevie G's slip. I see them going to the end of the race and, if so, it will be interesting to see if they bottle it.

Ok so they don't have Suarez. But people forget that Pool managed that run with weaknesses like Sakho and Mignolet and a manager whom I fear less than Pochettino. Sp**s have a great GK, top CBs and Harry Kane stands out as a striker in this division at present.

Since that season, the competition has got less because Man City are failing to maintain the quality of their signings from several years ago, Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool are in transition. The only rival who is also improving (over the medium to long-term) at present is Arsenal.

SA Gunner

Im keen to see whether what you say, comes to fruition @Rocky

One thing that is for sure, and that is that their defensive organisation has improved dramatically, they have the best GD in the league at the moment, and that says a whole lot.

Credit to Potchetino and the work done there.

SA Gunner

@Rocky

What made Liverpool so potent that season was their ability to rip teams apart with their offensive prowess.

I think there is a misconception if you ask me, when people say that best defenses win leagues. That is partly true yes, because you dont concede you dont lose (ask Jose) but that must go hand in hand with potency upfront.

What indicates to me that Sp**s have improved is their ability to have matched us in the goal scoring stakes. Problem is, its still inferior to both Leicester and Man City.

Essentially what Im saying is... and we should give Sp**s the ability to run a whole season I admit.. is that I'd fear a porous yet potent Liverpool anyday.

Not a threat for me, they will finish fourth, third at best. Sp**s fans are deluding themselves if they think they can win the title this year.

Rocky

We'll see. It might not be such a problem if they are outscored by those teams if they maintain their defensive superiority. Keeping Kane fit will be key. I also see the potential for Lamela to keep growing into his role. He's only 23, very talented. I was very impressed with his cool finish against Watford.

It also worries me that Wenger himself keeps mentioning the consistency issue as being key. It could be prophetic, and the longer this goes on, the more it looks like Sp**s will end the season as the most consistent team.

Perhaps the fact that almost nobody will accept that they are a threat will help them?

SA Gunner

We'll see. It might not be such a problem if they are outscored by those teams if they maintain their defensive superiority. Keeping Kane fit will be key. I also see the potential for Lamela to keep growing into his role. He's only 23, very talented. I was very impressed with his cool finish against Watford.

It also worries me that Wenger himself keeps mentioning the consistency issue as being key. It could be prophetic, and the longer this goes on, the more it looks like Sp**s will end the season as the most consistent team.

Perhaps the fact that almost nobody will accept that they are a threat will help them?

Perhaps it will.

They are flying under the radar, have belief and look solid in an area they arent known for.

I'm keen to see how this develops for them, and how they cope with things.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Just the thought of Sp**s winning the Premier League fills me with absolute dread. It would be completely unbearable. We would never hear the end of it.

"It's lucky for Sp**s when the year end in six" etc etc "Diamond Lights" out in a new edition...

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Top 4 is the limit for Spuds, maybe top 3. Yeah they have a young team who are doing well, but they lack all round quality for a title challenge.

They must be looking at strikers, I think they'll go in for Berahino again in Jan. Behind Kane they've only got N'Jie who's untested at this level, might be injured too.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
He could reach the CL with Spu*s for ten seasons, and their club would still be lightyears behind ManUre in terms of revenue, standing and its brand, so I don't think that matters much.

With the ressources he could have at his disposal, "Potchy" would be stupid not to consider jumping ship, as soon as they come calling.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
I think Pochettino will end up at Barcelona in a few years time, possibly the next manager given a go after Enrique. He - like Martino and Guardiola - is a Bielsista, but not as extreme as the main man himself, so he fits with the archetype of managers that Barcelona/Messi generally like.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
The Sp*ddies have the best goal difference in the league plus the best defense - that's a very solid combination. GD more often than not indicates a teams final position also.

This Sp*rs team is for real but it would be a bit much to think they'd take the title this season just due to lack of experience & IT CAN NEVER ****ING HAPPEN on my watch!!!

Unfortunately they're right in the hunt this season for the whole ****ing shabang imo.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
All this hysteria in AM over Sp*rs possibly overhauling us and becoming champions is rather cringeworthy.

Didn't we have to go through same motions with them in previous seasons?

The closest they got recently was when 'Arry was a whooping 10 points ahead in February. But we know how that lead melted away. Same in next season with the "spiral of negativity". In both of those seasons their squads were better than now. So all it will take a few dropped points from them and bandwagon will go off its rails.

The very closest we got with them was in 2006, but the proverbial lasagna dish had the last word on the race.

Malky

Established Member
I think Pochettino will end up at Barcelona in a few years time, possibly the next manager given a go after Enrique. He - like Martino and Guardiola - is a Bielsista, but not as extreme as the main man himself, so he fits with the archetype of managers that Barcelona/Messi generally like.
Was actualy thinking the other day that if Chelsea move for Diego Simeone in the summer, Atletico could bring his Pochettino as his replacement? If not in this summer can defiantly see him making the step up to one of Europe's 'big' clubs in the near future.

blaze_of_glory

We've been hearing the same stuff about them overtaking us for 10 years. Any progress they are currently making will come undone with having to pay for their new stadium I think. That will eventually help them, but it will be a long process.

SA Gunner

Gents, I think what @Rocky is trying to raise is this.

Besides all the emotional and legendary stories of their failures, the likes of Roy Keane swearing by them letting you down. What is it that actually states that they will not be a force this year.

Sp**s being Sp**s is not good enough an answer.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom