• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Really hope Fenerbache come in and take him off our hands. I've always given him the benefit of the doubt. But he's past it. I mean Willock did more in his 15min cameo then Özil did in the whole game in the Europa league final.

Class player in his prime, he's from a by gone era of football. I don't see the likes of Riquelime, Hadji even Cantona surriving in todays game. Gone are the days of a luxury no.10 in the top european leagues.

With no Özil in our team, we look defensively solid as a unit and our midfield has more energy and intensity.

progman07

Established Member
Really hope Fenerbache come in and take him off our hands. I've always given him the benefit of the doubt. But he's past it. I mean Willock did more in his 15min cameo then Özil did in the whole game in the Europa league final.

Class player in his prime, he's from a by gone era of football. I don't see the likes of Riquelime, Hadji even Cantona surriving in todays game. Gone are the days of a luxury no.10 in the top european leagues.

With no Özil in our team, we look defensively solid as a unit and our midfield has more energy and intensity.
True. Football has gone towards high tempo pressing which needs a contribution from all players. Regularly winning the ball back in the final third of the pitch is much more useful than having an attacker who can 'just' pick a nice pass, and Özil will not do that for us.

avalonhse

547-2137.jpg

zilfy

I was watching all of Özil 50 assists on you tube and was surprised to see the vast majority of those assists were aerial crosses onto someone's head. Sometimes Ramsey or sanchez, but usually Giroud.

I wonder how much his decline in assist production is due to our lack of aerial threat coming from the forwards in last couple of years?

That and he also seems slow af now

TakeChillPill

Established Member
I was watching all of Özil 50 assists on you tube and was surprised to see the vast majority of those assists were aerial crosses onto someone's head. Sometimes Ramsey or sanchez, but usually Giroud.

I wonder how much his decline in assist production is due to our lack of aerial threat coming from the forwards in last couple of years?

That and he also seems slow af now

Completely agree, they were. i can only think of a hand full of occasions when i've seen an Özil assist and gone wow! what a pass/through ball.

It was something we saw quite regularly from Cesc and DB10 and Arshavin.

Özil's greatest quality is always to pick out the right pass. However it's rare that I've seen a pass which no one else saw ( the only one that comes to mind is that pass to Kola where he laid it off).

However on many occasions he has made me go wow! in the way he's controlled and touched the ball. Pure joy.

Last edited:

say yes

forum master baiter
Completely agree, they were. i can only think of a hand full of occasions when i've seen an Özil assist and gone wow! what a pass/through ball.

It was something we saw quite regularly from Cesc and DB10 and Arshavin.

Özil's greatest quality is always to pick out the right pass. However it's rare that I've seen a pass which no one else saw ( the only one that comes to mind is that pass to Kola where he laid it off).

However on many occasions he has made me go wow! in the way he's controlled and touched the ball. Pure joy.

Yeah Özil’s obviously a good passer of the ball but he’s never had that ability to regularly play eye of the needle, defence-splitting passes à la Fabregas or Kevin de Bruyne.

The best feature of his game has always been his movement / ability to find space in between the lines. The way he ‘ghosts’ into positions of space is fantastically intelligent. Once there, I’d say the archetypical Mesut assist is a cutback / cross into the box.

I think that our decision to sell donkey Giroud (who thrived off those crosses / first time finishes in the box) is one of the main reasons Özil’s stats have dropped off a cliff so spectacularly. Mesut’s best season at the club, by miles, came when he was bouncing balls off that donkey’s head into the goal.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Mesut’s best season at the club, by miles, came when he was bouncing balls off that donkey’s head into the goal.
And had he had a more capable donkey who didn't go on a 15 game drought he would have obliterated the assist record that season. By about Feb...

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
And had he had a more capable donkey who didn't go on a 15 game drought he would have obliterated the assist record that season. By about Feb...
This argument has been debunked a few times by @American_Gooner , and that was back when he was big on Mesut. Truth is, iirc, that although that drought is very hard to look past, statistically, Giroud was getting barely any service. Not only that, he wasn't getting anything from Özil during that drought. We know Giroud isn't the type to pick it up 40 meters out, beat a man and curl it home; he was a box finisher that relied heavily on square balls in front of him. If Özil was as good as a Cesc or a Bergkamp, he'd have been finding others to help out in his quest for ultimate PL football cuckholdery.

FluffyDoozi

Yeah Özil’s obviously a good passer of the ball but he’s never had that ability to regularly play eye of the needle, defence-splitting passes à la Fabregas or Kevin de Bruyne.
Fabregas really was a genius at this. No player since then comes close to him at those passes bar maybe Messi when he's playing deeper.
People always call Giroud a donkey and blame him for Özil not breaking the assist record but forget how incredibly wasteful Adebayor was. The chances he'd create were unreal. And by chances I mean real chances you can actually see in the game but the phantom 'key passes' which are Özil's go to.

progman07

Established Member
Fabregas really was a genius at this. No player since then comes close to him at those passes bar maybe Messi when he's playing deeper.
People always call Giroud a donkey and blame him for Özil not breaking the assist record but forget how incredibly wasteful Adebayor was. The chances he'd create were unreal. And by chances I mean real chances you can actually see in the game but the phantom 'key passes' which are Özil's go to.
Yes, the vision Cesc had beats almost everything since Bergkamp, he was several levels above Özil when on the top of his game. He produced 2-3 'wow' passes per game.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
This argument has been debunked a few times by @American_Gooner , and that was back when he was big on Mesut. Truth is, iirc, that although that drought is very hard to look past, statistically, Giroud was getting barely any service. Not only that, he wasn't getting anything from Özil during that drought. We know Giroud isn't the type to pick it up 40 meters out, beat a man and curl it home; he was a box finisher that relied heavily on square balls in front of him. If Özil was as good as a Cesc or a Bergkamp, he'd have been finding others to help out in his quest for ultimate PL football cuckholdery.
It was strange because conventional wisdom would've suggested that a static striker like Giroud was ill suited to playing with Özil, but we didn't account for the latter's ability to put the ball on a dime from wide positions. Should've utilised that more often tbh.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It was strange because conventional wisdom would've suggested that a static striker like Giroud was ill suited to playing with Özil, but we didn't account for the latter's ability to put the ball on a dime from wide positions. Should've utilised that more often tbh.
We tried though. The theory worked but he seemed to have less involvement from the wing than centrally. How many times did Özil start the game from wide for the 7 times he assisted Giroud? cant even remember. I say that, iirc, it was more like Giroud assisting Özil with some of the finishes he mustered.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
We tried though. The theory worked but he seemed to have less involvement from the wing than centrally. How many times did Özil start the game from wide for the 7 times he assisted Giroud? cant even remember. I say that, iirc, it was more like Giroud assisting Özil with some of the finishes he mustered.
He didn't have to start out wide, he was drifting out there a lot of the time when Ramsey came inside. And I would disagree about Giroud assisting Özil, some of the crosses/dead balls were pinpoint:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom