• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: He came, he saw, he conquered

Status
Not open for further replies.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Re: Mesut Özil: Your lips say No, but the stats say Yes

Top class player, at top club, and will only get better and better.
haters gonna hate, nothing new there, stupids will stay stupid, and so on and so on.

I like watching Özil do his defensive work lately, he tracks back and doesnt forget his duties when defending, thats something new to him since he didnt have to do it at Real, which just shows he is working on his game, Arsène is working on it too, and game by game we are about to see better and better Özil, cant ask for more

ScotVieira

Established Member

Iceman10 said:
Bit over-dramatic IMO, people can say anything they want, comments aren't being censored or removed. If backed up with facts, stats, etc. as opposed to vague stuff all the better, let it be argued on the merits. I could have missed something because I don't recollect stats being used in arguments here against Özil, only in support of him. If I missed it, I missed it.

The problem isn't one 'side' specifically here either, it is because things have become so polarised with some possibly very entrenched in their views.

Also, on Ramsey, the majority of what I see changes considerably match to match. There are only a couple of commenters here or there who have more entrenched views. I don't think he would mind me singling him out, but ScotVieira is quite alone in that, hence some ribbing him recently on another thread over it (re. Ramsey).
I honestly don't have an entrenched view on Ramsey except that I honestly do like his personality (I met him once before).

My comments on him recently stem from me watching him have an average/poor performance only to read people saying on here that he was excellent. I tend to ask myself if we watched the same games or these guys just watch whenever he scores a goal. It all takes nothing off me as long as the team plays well/wins.

If a player does not have an excellent game, we should not go and start singing his praises to give the wrong impression for whatever reason. I have also observed that no other player gets that kind of bias comments here. In fact, many posters hesitate to give praise when a player performs well if he is not their darling player.

I hope my message is not lost in the midst of all that :lol:

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out

Start Özil centrally and with the right players around him and he will make plays. He has excellent good technique and usually his decision making is superb always finding the right pass. He does drift in and out of games and disappears sometimes defensively (although that appears to be improving).

I think we just need to use him in the right setup with complementary players. IMO the biggest thing is getting our target man like Striker Giroud to play well with him since its those two whose styles I think are most incompatible naturally. Özil definitely looks better with Welbeck's movement up front but sadly Welbeck can't finish and Giroud is on fire for now.

I do think the more they train together and play together Özil and Alexis will develop an understanding that we probably won't see the best of until next year.

say yes

forum master baiter

THunter said:
Mastadon said:
ferrarif50hunt said:
Best player in the squad by some distance and the only truly world class player we have. Only properly appreciated by people who actually understand the finer aspects of football and not just goal/assist stats.

/thread.

Classic emperors new clothes defense. Just brand anybody who criticizes Özil as a ***** who doesn't understand football. Bit outdated these days.

:lol:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Mesut Özil has been crowned the joint top attacking midfielder in Europe in 2015 by CIES Football Observatory.

CBcaH4HWAAA9vjC.jpg

No idea how they decided it, but I shall look into it.

EDIT:

Hold on Jesus Navas is 3rd there, this may have zero credibility so.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

The same people who wrote that list have Gael Clichy as the best full back so I highly doubt its reliable.. although don't mind seeing Özil joint 1st :D

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He was great against Georgia I thought, links up really well with Reus which is good to see, would be even better if Reus was here!

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
He was brilliant against Georgia, played a key part in both goals.

One thing I will say though, he's a bonafide no.10, he shouldn't be used out wide unless it's absolutely necessary.

BobP

Memri Fan
****ing Clichy, I swear wingers who are **** just get shifted back to the fullback positions, genuinely one of the most listless players I've ever seen.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Top class player, at top club, and will only get better and better.
haters gonna hate, nothing new there, stupids will stay stupid, and so on and so on.

I like watching Özil do his defensive work lately, he tracks back and doesnt forget his duties when defending, thats something new to him since he didnt have to do it at Real, which just shows he is working on his game, Arsène is working on it too, and game by game we are about to see better and better Özil, cant ask for more

I'm not bothered by this so much, although it helps for sure. I think defensive work can and should start in your area of the pitch. I'd like to see Özil press with more aggression. He looks timid when closing people down, a bit like the kid thats been pushed into a fight. That for me though is a mindset thing and will probably never change.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I think its pretty clear that the muscle he added while out has helped him physically and possibly mentally as well. If you feel stronger than before it does give you a mental lift. I read an article recently and he said how tough the PL was compared to Germany and Spain, he has bruises after every game. Now with some added strength he is really starting to show us what we all knew he had.

Gooner4evah

Özil is the kind of player that makes your team play better. He doesn't need to score or assist to have an impact, his whole game is based around movement, space and teamplay.

With his improved physique he is now more capable of keeping the ball under pressure, while his technique is already the best in the league.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Its taken a while, but we're starting to see the real Özil and we're looking a lot better for it. I think the improvements will continue as well, so nice timing as far as the seasons concerned, with it getting to the important stuff.

Godwin1

Very well-known
He was brilliant against Georgia, played a key part in both goals.

One thing I will say though, he's a bonafide no.10, he shouldn't be used out wide unless it's absolutely necessary.

I think Özil could work out wide in an offensive sense, there's really no reason why he couldn't, he has played in this position a lot throughout his career. Of course at the start of the season it didn't work, but this is because Özil was playing poor in general and tactically the rest of our midfield didn't work. An over crowding issue.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
I just hope that he'll keep performing like he has been doing lately. He's one of our best players for sure, but since he's playing for Arsenal a lot of 'neutral' fans have devaluated him. Even if Hazard would be kept quiet and Özil would boss the midfield area in our next fixture vs. Chelski he still wouldn't get the credit that he deserves somehow.

Wenger has faith in him though, that's the most important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

First I went left, he did too. Then I went right and he did too. Then I went left again and he went to buy a hot dog.

Arsene Wenger on dribbling Zinedine Zidane in a charity game

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom