• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Per Mertesacker: The BFG

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Some of you are really blunt. You don just get rid off players like Caz and Per. They're the old experienced heads and even if they don't lead by example (obviously Caz does) their influence on the squad is still important. I bet Holding, Chambers, Iwobi and other young guns benefit immensely training with the likes of Per and others. And its not like they're getting new contracts the Club is just activating a clause in the contract, I presume they're not getting any significant pay rise.
I've never really understood this 'influence on the squad' thing.

I would get if the player in question was a captain who plays regularly but what does he do from the bench/stands?

Mertesacker should have been sold after he couldn't motivate him self to play football after the world cup. But here he is. At the amazing family that Arsenal is. Taking care of each own. Having nice time, not trying to much.

Charity FC forever 4th.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
He gave Diaby new deals after all the time he'd been out and the injury risk he was.
:lol: This. Hardly much is a surprise after such a thing. No supervision and complete freedom will allow for nonsense. I can't for the life of me understand why it happened. Makes me laugh now but when it happened it was pretty infuriating. If Diaby was a great player you'd get it but he was mostly mediocre when he played.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I've never really understood this 'influence on the squad' thing.

I would get if the player in question was a captain who plays regularly but what does he do from the bench/stands?

What about training sessions, personal advices etc. Football is more than 90min on the pitch. That's just a culmination of multiple factors.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
What about training sessions, personal advices etc. Football is more than 90min on the pitch. That's just a culmination of multiple factors.
Yes, and the dressing room atmosphere,dynamics and maintenance but is he really the sort of influence we need? He was a very good methodical defender and sort of like on paper looks to have it as a leader but since we have seen him closer with more details, is he really a player who should be kept for his influence? I don't like his personality as club captain and as a leader whether he is good enough to play or not.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
Surely kos and Mustafi are the experienced heads that the younger defenders need. We keep older players who are past it and don't play hardly far too long, yet we wouldn't give Pires a 2 year deal when he was still good enough and would have been a positive influence on the youngsters, on the field. Wenger used to have an over 30s policy which he strictly adhered to, what happened to it?

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Mustafi? :lol: He's 24 ffs.

Obviously there's something beneficial for the squad by keeping Per. Lets not pretend we have a better in-depth look at the dynamics within the team than the manager.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
He's 25 in a couple of months how old do they have to be in your eyes to stop being kids? Of course we don't have a better in-depth view of things than the manager, but you can't keep players forever. If you do, put the n a different role and pay them less.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Mertesacker should have been sold after he couldn't motivate him self to play football after the world cup. But here he is. At the amazing family that Arsenal is. Taking care of each own. Having nice time, not trying to much.

Charity FC forever 4th.
Imagine giving a guy a new contract 3 years after he's said that he has lost motivation. :lol:

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
We're keeping Per for one more year, nothing to write about, its not like he's getting a bumper deal. This also indicates for me Wenger is staying, not sure he'd extend otherwise.

As for Mustafi, he's still young for a defender, new to the league and has still some growing to do IMO. Having Per aroud can't harm his development only to the contraty.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Well it's not like we've been winning league titles while he's been here?

What advice does he he have to give? If you were talking about one of our last remaining players from our invincibles or something then I would understand.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
We're keeping Per for one more year, nothing to write about, its not like he's getting a bumper deal. This also indicates for me Wenger is staying, not sure he'd extend otherwise.

As for Mustafi, he's still young for a defender, new to the league and has still some growing to do IMO. Having Per aroud can't harm his development only to the contraty.

Mustafi is a World Cup winner. I take your point about him being new to the league. We bought Per in 2011, so it begs the question, why had we not bridged the gap between buying him and seeing him slow up?

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
His value to the team on or off the pitch is something no one on AM can know, especially when we haven't seen him in action for so long, so I suggest all the howls of protest are put on hold for now

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
His value to the team on or off the pitch is something no one on AM can know, especially when we haven't seen him in action for so long, so I suggest all the howls of protest are put on hold for now

Well we're just discussing it. We are fans and we have our thoughts on these matters, which we like to air on forums. That's all it is.

Hunter Zolomon

per gets a new deal but steady and solid sagna is left to go to city, i wonder who the young players will look up to more. Sagna or a guy you can find videos of him cowering in a wall during free kicks.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom