• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Draw Premier League: Southampton 1 - 1 Arsenal | Sunday 23rd, October | KO: 14:00 BST | Sky Sports

1_SouthamptonArsenal.jpg

Let's try and keep our concentration up. Southampton are a very high energy and high pressing team just like Leeds. We should not allow ourself to be put under the cosh like the Leeds game.

Screenshot-20221021-103433.png

Screenshot-20221021-103450.png

Screenshot-20221021-103526.png

Screenshot-20221021-104158.png

Prediction

Southampton 0-2 Arsenal

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
It was a fantastic move from Southampton, had we scored a goal like that we'd be purring about it. I don't think there's too much to discuss.

Every goal is preventable. Jamie Redknapp put blame on Ben White. I’m interested to see what people think.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 102404

Every goal is preventable. Jamie Redknapp put blame on Ben White. I’m interested to see what people think.

Blame to share around.
The error that caused the danger in the first place was Saliba's. I don't know why he vacated the CB position and went right upfield and wide in the first place.
From there, White was in big trouble.
Tomiyasu was then weak , backing off when he actually had cover in Gabriel.
Gabriel then did nothing accept try to block a potential shot / passing lane, but didn't take control.
White didn't follow the runner, although if he had of, the man he was actually covering would then be free for a probably easier pass in.

Moments keep cropping up where our defenders, especially the CB's, are making very rash and unnecessary decisions.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Have we discussed their goal yet?

Who's at fault here?

View attachment 10094
Saliba overcommits when the ball is played past Partey. He should have stopped probably 2 strides earlier. Tomi then wants to shade El Younoussi towards the sideline but he never really positions himself properly. While he is 2 footed, I do think being a RB/RCB by trade complicates this for him a bit because he just doesn't do it correctly. If you look at 11 seconds, it's obvious that all of the danger is to El Younoussi's left and Tomi's right. What Tomi should do right there is rotate his right foot backwards slightly so that he can cut off anything that goes towards the circle. This should happen before El Younoussi makes his move because in the worst case scenario where he beats you outside, his first action still has to be away from the goal and you still have players flooding back into the box to cut off the cut back. Instead he lets El Younoussi make the first move while his body position is still working against him being able to balance well enough to cut off the inside action and from there it's a clumsy lunge that misses because he's at a biomechanical disadvantage. I don't think he would make this mistake at RB because proper positioning there is likely more instinctual to him through repetition. One could argue that maybe Tierney in that identical situation deals with it.

Now if people want to say that White should be busting a lung to cut off the run of the goal scorer then maybe there's a tiny bit of merit to that but it would also be very harsh. The entire team was very slow to recover. Personally, I would prefer that it's White trying to press the player where Saliba fails to get the ball and that Saliba is then in a deeper position to cut out the danger but I think our system lends itself more to what happened based on how high a line we play. Arteta could maybe do a better job of simplifying things when we are defending counters. Partey, Saliba and Tomi all could have done better but I see no real fault with White there. The reality is that where White is beaten, the pass is a lateral one where Tomi is in a 1v1 he should deal with given where his help is and what the demands of winning that duel are. If Tomi just positions himself better, the more likely outcome is a clearance or a corner.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

You make good points. Blame is shared among a few but in my opinion chief blame goes on Saliba I don’t understand why he decided to step high and wide. The second he did that and failed to intercept, he put our whole back line in an uncomfortable position.
Redknapp put blame on White because as the situation unfolded, White became the centre back and it was his job to spot Armstrong’s run sooner and the least he should do is close down and narrow the area of the goal that Armstrong has to shoot at.
I think that's a feature of the system. Arteta trusts and instructs the CBs to aggressively push up like that when we're out of possession. Obviously he could have done better, I think it's failed execution of what he's instructed to do though. As I said though, Tomi is in position to cut it out and just gets his body shape and timing wrong. For me that was the biggest error in a series of them because he got something routine wrong.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Just because I HATE Southampton doesn't mean I'm sad about the point.

St. Mary's has always been a ground we struggled at even back to the glorious early Wenger era. It looks a lot better now that we've maintained the same distance from our other rivals.

Not fussed about City because we're not really in a title race (let's not kid ourselves).

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Tomiyasu should have met him further up to force him make a decision. We let him come in too deep

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

This might sound harsh but I was really disappointed with Sky's in-game coverage turning a blind eye to most of the major incidents in the game, and in particular with Alan Smith being so docile considering he's a Gooner.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
This might sound harsh but I was really disappointed with Sky's in-game coverage turning a blind eye to most of the major incidents in the game, and in particular with Alan Smith being so docile considering he's a Gooner.
More concerned with rainbow laces.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
The sexuals have declared that any ***** who sets up a team with an aggressive 3-3-4, little defensive midfield and plays two attacking midfielders at once is building a video game team. Can someone inform them that is exactly how the Spanish tosser who can’t beat Southampton sets up his teams? Experiment in hypocrisy complete

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
The sexuals have declared that any ***** who sets up a team with an aggressive 3-3-4, little defensive midfield and plays two attacking midfielders at once is building a video game team. Can someone inform them that is exactly how the Spanish tosser who can’t beat Southampton sets up his teams? Experiment in hypocrisy complete
Get a grip man. We drew. It's not like we got hammered. We couldn't just keep on winning. This is the premier league where any team can beat any other team on their day. Forest just beat Liverpool. City could only draw with Villa a few weeks back when Villa were cr*p.

Our record is still P15 W13 D1 L1

Amazing !!!

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
What was Ben doing on that goal, ffs...was too angry at the ref to notice him, way too deep on the dummy and doesn't track the runner at the end properly!

He's having a very good season, but that was awful :lol:

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Get a grip man. We drew. It's not like we got hammered. We couldn't just keep on winning. This is the premier league where any team can beat any other team on their day. Forest just beat Liverpool. City could only draw with Villa a few weeks back when Villa were cr*p.

Our record is still P15 W13 D1 L1

Amazing !!!
We will end up in 4th or 5th far from the top if we don’t reinforce in January and Arteta needs to rotate better. Why are his teams only able to play in short bursts most of the time? I got my theories on it; and this glorified 90s ball he is playing will not work

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
We will end up in 4th or 5th far from the top if we don’t reinforce in January and Arteta needs to rotate better. Why are his teams only able to play in short bursts most of the time? I got my theories on it; and this glorified 90s ball he is playing will not work
Well, I'm more inclined to trust someone who's had a career in football than a forum fan.

Let's see where we finish at the end of the season. The title is never gonna be attainable for us this year, the objective is securing top 4 & we are well on our way with that.

Did you stop to think that maybe we just dont have a strong enough squad yet for Arteta to consider rotating more. We just dont & that's it. Let's hope we pick up a player or 2 in Jan & then in summer we can really strengthen.

I really wish we didnt extend Eddie, he a nice lad n all, but hes just not the quality we need.

Arsenal Quotes

A fan and a supporter behaves in different ways and what we have experienced in the last two games is pretty unique and is related to our history

Mikel Arteta

Latest posts

Top Bottom