• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Still in 2nd gear?

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
I live in Australia and alot of my friends are gooners, and they seem to believe that we have yet to hit "top gear".
It got me to thinking, what is our top gear? When has there been a time this season or in the past two where we have hit top gear?
Some of my friends reckon we were in top gear at the beginning of 02/03 season, but I cant see much difference to how we were playing then in comparison to now. My friends opinion was probably influenced by the media sending the hype machine into overdrive calling us 'invincible' and the like...
In my view, our top gear is basically when we are able to stay consistent over a considerable stretch of time, such as at the back end of the 01/02 season. I don't think we are at that level yet. But we are building up a head of steam at just the right time of the season.

What is your definition of our top gear?

Ridge

if you mean that 13th consecutive win in 01/02 season, then we arent there yet. :angel

Adam

Established Member
No, no, no - there is no set definition of a peak imo.

Different parts of Wengerball have flourished at different times. It's all part of the evolution - we are likely to see a new peak set as a result.

Peak is an expectation which is forced by reaching a standard, and these standards are constantly evolving (influenced by money spent by a club, knowledge of the footballing heights it has reached etc)

Today's defensive stability combined with last seasons attacking flair. That's the balance Wengerball is now striving for, but as we commited so many forward last year we lost our defensive stability. We are now figuring out how to attack with the same impetus but keep the same defensive discipline and stability.

It's hard to do so, so perhaps in reality we can only judge peak by winning runs and not by style (we wouldn't want last years style without the winning so that stylistic peak of play reached last year is an unrealistic peak).

Kyla

I'd say we have just got out of first gear tbh- the same might be said of Utd too. We just haven't clicked on a Wengerball level this season (minus Boro away, Fulham at home and Leeds FA Cup). A "normal" Arsenal performance for me constitutes a degree of slickness and perfection that has yet to rub off on this team yet. If that means we have plenty more in reserve come spring I'll be a very happy bunny! High standards, I know!

Kyla

Ps Adam- I think I agree with your last para on the "realities" of this season. We are now striving to be pragmatic at the back, which has deprived us, imo, of our exhilarating attack..we're not as footloose and as fancy as we were at times last season, which is understandble. So I guess hitting top gear would NOW constitute going on a lengthy winning run which lands us the EPL, irrespective of style. Is this the end of original Wengerball? :(

Adam

Established Member
We are still finding our feet as a collective offensive force with this new defensive stability. We clicked against Fulham at home even though we drew. I believe this had alot to do with Bergkamp and the understanding he brings to the team and it's movement.

It's not the end of original Wengerball as long as we can replace Bergkamp adequately. Some argue that we are changing into a more fluid and athletic side which bypasses the need for Bergkamp (more Brazil, more individual, players bringing it out from the back and playing it through to the strikers instead of just one player - Bergkamp). There has been an emphasis more on the individual input rather than the collective style without Dennis in the team - especially when you think about the goals scored this season and how different players have taken the headlines.

Who Wenger plays up front with Henry will give us an indication of what we are going to evolve into. Whether we will have a disciplined Bergkamp hole player to create moves, or a fluid striker like Etoo etc. Having a Bergkamp does create set patterns on goals, rather than having multiple team creators who supply the front men which is less defined.

It's spirit that will win us the title more than style. That takes precedence.

Gooner83

the important thing is we are more consistant.. at the end of the day its points that win championships not displays.

Lord Dula

Established Member
I've never seen a team have as much control over a game as we did in the 4-1 win at Leeds last season. Thats the best performance the Premiership has ever seen.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 26

Talks have taken place between Marcus Rashford and Mikel Arteta [AFCamden]

Nothing is decided between Arsenal and Emile Smith Rowe [Fabrizio Romano]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom