• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Vibra

Established Member
No need, he reminds me so much of wilshere it's scary. Wilshere with a more tactically disciplined brain imo.

edit: We can finally embed youtube videos:D

Verratti is miles ahead of Jack in terms of development, I'd love him here

Impact

Established Member
The_Playmaker, that surely would be an underwhelming summer. Two projects in and a reliable albeit injury-prone goalscorer out.

For me, I'd love to see Wenger buy some more established talent.

Petr Cech and Morgan Schneiderlin. Walcott new contract. Anything else is a bonus.

Sell Podolski, Campbell, Sanogo, Flamini, Diaby and Jenkinson. Loan Akpom and Gnabry to places where they will get first team football.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

In- Kondogbia and Cech. Walcott new contract.

Out- Szczesny, Podolski, Flamini, Diaby. (Possibly Jenko and Sanogo).

Impact

Established Member
If Rafa Varane is available, we should be willing to pay up to £30 million for him. He's that good.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
IN (loan back to club if possible): Simeone Suffet, Jose Gaya, Nabil Fekir, Luciano Vietto.

IN: Schneiderlin, Felipe Anderson

OUT: Diaby, Podolski, Flamini.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
The_Playmaker, that surely would be an underwhelming summer. Two projects in and a reliable albeit injury-prone goalscorer out.

For me, I'd love to see Wenger buy some more established talent.

Petr Cech and Morgan Schneiderlin. Walcott new contract. Anything else is a bonus.

Sell Podolski, Campbell, Sanogo, Flamini, Diaby and Jenkinson. Loan Akpom and Gnabry to places where they will get first team football.

Agree, we have some quality youth coming through in Chambers, IOspina (young for a GK), Bellarin, Ox, Akpom,Campbell, Gnabry etc but we need somebody established.

Özil, Santi, Sanchez just carry that Aura because they are proven players; as much as I like Draxler and Kondogbia they are very much developing their admittedly already strong game.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Much rather Playermaker's suggestion than Schneiderlin and Cech, if anything the latter sounds a lot more underwhelming to me.

Two potentially world class and exciting players sounds better than a GK, and a very boring and limited player in Schneiderlin. Would love Cech, but GK's don't excite me much, and Kondogbia is 100 times more talented than Schneiderlin, who's to much like Coq.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Am I the only one not sold on Schneiderlin being the right fit for us? I really would like to see us get someone taller to add some height to balance our midfield's physical aspect.

Anyway I have my reservation about Schneiderlin, how often does he play as a lone DM? Whenever I've watched them this last two season he's usually had someone else beside him, last season he was more b2b. Also I think his passing is being really overrated, it's above average but not excellent.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Not overly sold on him either, especially when you see someone like Coquelin who can make up so much space and is extremely aggressive in everything he does. I watched Morgan against Brazil and after a good period he then seemed very vulnerable when Oscar-Neymar-Firmino started really attacking and interchanging. He became non-existent. I think he's a guy who does need another player right beside him with a bit of presence.

Plus his passing doesn't fill me with confidence, I can't remember too many times where he'd look up and play it forward or even more than 10 yards sideways. He always seems to just go for Wanyama or the guy immediately next to him regardless of whether they are being pressured or in a good position to receive it or not. Based on that I think he does have a weakness on the ball, he doesn't carry it or distribute it extremely well. His reading of the game is second to none don't get me wrong but I see little out of him to make me think that he's more suited to our system and the DM role that we play in comparison to Coquelin. At Southampton they seem to attacking with 4 players (with the two full backs acting as support), which means Schneiderlin and Wanyama stay when the others are attacking.

Coquelin in comparison to Schneiderlin, seems better at carry the ball, is quicker and is far more aggressive. He's also really improved his passing as well. Maybe Schneiderlin's instructed to do so but seeing him regularly just lazily give it to Wanyama and never look up would worry me. I'd much rather a Kondogbia than Schneiderlin.

To sum up, I think Schneiderlin's reading of the game is as good as anyone in the league. He's excellent at interceptions and focuses on defending first. For me though Coquelin (and players like Kondogbia) trump him in pace, aggressive and ability on the ball. Also the fact that I don't think he suites being a lone DM in our system really.

Last edited:

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Am I the only one not sold on Schneiderlin being the right fit for us? I really would like to see us get someone taller to add some height to balance our midfield's physical aspect.

Anyway I have my reservation about Schneiderlin, how often does he play as a lone DM? Whenever I've watched them this last two season he's usually had someone else beside him, last season he was more b2b. Also I think his passing is being really overrated, it's above average but not excellent.

He has played DM before Wanyama was signed. Defensively and in terms of pressing and intercepting he's brilliant. His passing is very good considering he's a DM but by Wenger standards he's not great on the ball compared to Illarramendi or Khedira who can both start attacks from deep.

Playing for a more attacking team who are higher up the field may also prove to be an issue so it's concerning he hasn't done as well for France.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Not overly sold on him either, especially when you see someone like Coquelin who can make up so much space and is extremely aggressive in everything he does. I watched Morgan against Brazil and after a good period he then seemed very vulnerable when Oscar-Neymar-Firmino started really attacking and interchanging. He became non-existent. I think he's a guy who does need another player right beside him with a bit of presence.

Plus his passing doesn't fill me with confidence, I can't remember too many times where he'd look up and play it forward or even more than 10 yards sideways. He always seems to just go for Wanyama or the guy immediately next to him regardless of whether they are being pressured or in a good position to receive it or not. Based on that I think he does have a weakness on the ball, he doesn't carry it or distribute it extremely well. His reading of the game is second to none don't get me wrong but I see little out of him to make me think that he's more suited to our system and the DM role that we play in comparison to Coquelin. At Southampton they seem to attacking with 4 players (with the two full backs acting as support), which means Schneiderlin and Wanyama stay when the others are attacking.

Coquelin in comparison to Schneiderlin, seems better at carry the ball, is quicker and is far more aggressive. He's also really improved his passing as well. Maybe Schneiderlin's instructed to do so but seeing him regularly just lazily give it to Wanyama and never look up would worry me. I'd much rather a Kondogbia than Schneiderlin.

To sum up, I think Schneiderlin's reading of the game is as good as anyone in the league. He's excellent at interceptions and focuses on defending first. For me though Coquelin (and players like Kondogbia) trump him in pace, aggressive and ability on the ball. Also the fact that I don't think he suites being a lone DM in our system really.

Schneiderlin is a league above Coq in terms of passing. Watch him in the below game against Arsenal, rarely misplaces a pass (Coq does too much), and he has some long passes that just aren't in Coq's game.

Now watch him completely boss Chelsea, see how good his tackling technique is, he pinches the ball effortlessly and is immensely strong

As for Kondongbia, he's physically a beast but his passing isn't great

Impact

Established Member
Much rather Playermaker's suggestion than Schneiderlin and Cech, if anything the latter sounds a lot more underwhelming to me.

Two potentially world class and exciting players sounds better than a GK, and a very boring and limited player in Schneiderlin. Would love Cech, but GK's don't excite me much, and Kondogbia is 100 times more talented than Schneiderlin, who's to much like Coq.

If we are consistently building for the future, we will never be successful now. A world class goalkeeper wins you games and points, consider De Gea's, Lloris', Neuer's, van der Sar's, Courtois' and Cech's performances over the past few years.

Not much to say about Schneiderlin, he's been amongst the best 3 defensive midfielders since Southampton got promoted.

Draxler is a great prospect, but he's coming off the back of a bad injury and doesn't score or assist with any regularity. Compare that to Walcott who is a regular goalscorer when fit. Kongdogbia is a good prospect, but he will not move us up to serious PL and CL contenders immediately and that is what we should be looking for.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, Draxler needs to find his groove again before he leaves Schalke.

Schneiderlin is a player I couldn't say no to, but I do think we've got the ball-winner area covered with Coquelin, although we could probably do with another one.

Player we should be looking at is a DLP for that deep spot IMO. Unless we're expecting Wilshere to grow into that role? Or just two ball-winners in Morgan and Coq?

Impact

Established Member
I see our central midfield options as Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla, Coquelin, Arteta and Flamini. If we have an injury crisis, then Rosicky and Chamberlain can play there.

Diaby should be gone this summer and Flamini too. Arteta should be kept but only for an experienced player role and not as a serious starter. For me, that leaves a space open for another player.

I think we need another defensive minded player but ideally, one who is good on the ball, physically gifted and mobile. A difficult player to find in today's market.

Last edited:

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Watched the France-Brazil game like @Tir Na Nog, and quite frankly Schneiderlin was embarrassing to watch. Never have I seen a CM literally play like a third CB - he basically got the ball from Sakho, only to pass it on the other CB, Varane. The worst alibi football I've seen, Denilsonesque, maybe even worse as he barely crossed the middle line. He was hiding like kids hide under the bed when it's thunderstorm outside. He took a position where he was under zero pressure, and passed it safe, anyone can do that.

He did read the game well at the start of the match like TNN mentioned, but once they got the better of him, they ran through him like he wasn't there. I fail to see how he's any better than Coq, except for probably passing, but he's not even that good in that regard, the way he play vs Brazil is basically the way Kos plays for us, and he hits a few good passes himself under zero pressure like Schneiderlin. Coq more than makes up for his erratic passing with his carrying of the ball, good first touch, and dribbling.

As for playing at B2B, God help us if ever did that, he has no skill whatsoever to play that role. Thankfully Wenger isn't going to waste 30m on him.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Yeah, Draxler needs to find his groove again before he leaves Schalke.

Schneiderlin is a player I couldn't say no to, but I do think we've got the ball-winner area covered with Coquelin, although we could probably do with another one.

Player we should be looking at is a DLP for that deep spot IMO. Unless we're expecting Wilshere to grow into that role? Or just two ball-winners in Morgan and Coq?
If Pogba goes to Madrid this summer, I wonder if Wenger would take a punt on Illarramendi. Not sure how he'd fare in the PL but it could be worth the gamble.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Top Bottom