• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Theo Walcott: Sold to Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvinho's ball bag

One question:

I'm quite young so I don't actually remember but has Walcott always lacked footballing ability? I just can't imagine why Wenger signed him.
How old are you pal?

We bought him in January 2006, to huge fanfare and excitement among fans and the media.

I remember Wenger smirking and being unable to pretend he wasn't about to buy him in a press conference!

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I still remember the run against Liverpool, I thought he was going to really kick on, eight years later and I don't think he's done a half decent dribble since.

For those of you that don't remember:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

How old are you pal?

We bought him in January 2006, to huge fanfare and excitement among fans and the media.

I remember Wenger smirking and being unable to pretend he wasn't about to buy him in a press conference!
22. Combination of young age and not being able to watch footy unless it was televised for free.

I remember the hype around Walcott, the 'he's faster than Henry' and the whole World Cup fiasco. What were his performances like? I'm assuming he's never been much of a technical player?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I still remember the run against Liverpool, I thought he was going to really kick on, eight years later and I don't think he's done a half decent dribble since.

7 mins away from the semi finals ffs!

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That celebration and reaction for Ade :lol:

Biggest disappointment this season is that his never really hit it off with Özil. Always combined with Fabregas, RVP and even Alexis but don't remember any really special moments with Özil.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
What were his performances like? I'm assuming he's never been much of a technical player?
He was just as direct but, strangely, looked better on the ball when he was much younger. Maybe that's due to the exuberance of youth, and being relatively unscarred compared to now--both physically and mentally. Less pressure too. He definitely looks more athletic and responsive in that clip, than he is now.

Hyruga

He was just as direct but, strangely, looked better on the ball when he was much younger. Maybe that's due to the exuberance of youth, and being relatively unscarred compared to now--both physically and mentally. Less pressure too. He definitely looks more athletic and responsive in that clip, than he is now.

Anelka was fast and fearless when he first started playing for Arsenal. His movement was erratic and hard to predict. It can be argued that Anelka was better when he was younger.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Anelka was fast and fearless when he first started playing for Arsenal. His movement was erratic and hard to predict. It can be argued that Anelka was better when he was younger.
I don't think anyone disputes that. :lol:

Anelka was a freak, just as much potential as Henry or maybe he was just closer to his peak.

Silvinho's ball bag

Walcott was talked about as a lightning fast winger or striker (they were still the 4-4-2 days).

He had broken through into the Southampton first team and the papers were going mad about him, particularly when they picked up on our interest.

It was the early days of YouTube as well, and I remember videos of him actually looking reasonably skilful...

Side note: that CL game vs. Liverpool haunts me as much as Chelsea '04.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

Speed without technique is useless

When you eventually lose it you're screwed

Henry lost the speed but had bags of skills

Torres lost the speed but have loads of fight and some skills

Heck theo is probably still the second fastest player We've got but less skills to back up that lost step with) :

BobP

Memri Fan

One of the great bottle jobs this.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Of course he is, the Walcott that signed was ridiculously raw.

Debatable tbh. Check out some vids from his younger days here, he seemed a better dribbler and more agile. Maybe injuries have contributed though, he always had fitness problems.

Playing him on the LW was an awful idea, you have to admit that contributed a lot to his poor displays in the winter.

Yeah Theo on the left was never gonna be a success. He had several games up front though, a position he pined to be in for years. He flattered to deceive yet again. His performance away to Man Utd U18's was embarrassing.

Don't really disagree with any of this, it was an egregious contract but I blame the club more for agreeing to it.

Yeah, the club have to hold an L as well.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
His best season was playing as inside forward ahead of Giroud.
Not sure why Özil is now learning playing a forward and not just switch Özil right and place Theo/Lucas interchanging with Alexis in 4-4-1-1 formation....

Maybe Wenger thinks we have lack of defensive awareness if our right side consist of Özil and Bellerin?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

That post said that some said he turned out better than Henry, though. Whoever said he turned out a better player than Henry is obviously mental.
If you read it again you'll realise what he meant. Reading it again I can see why you interpreted it the way you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989
Top Bottom