• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another awful defensive performance. Emery should shut his mouth as right now we're worse than last season in defence.
Actually, I think we have definitely improved defensively compared to the beginning of the season. Especially considering we were playing away to a very good Bournemouth side.

Emery's substitutions today however were appalling. We ended up playing much worse because of them. He also should have substituted Mikhi at half time IMO.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Is it work ? or just new personnel .

Both.

Just as bad as last year. We're so disjointed as a team.

We've improved our focus and mental, but we're far off where we feel confident going into a match.

Mustafi also needs to go. Same for Mhki. We need constant performers.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Actually, I think we have definitely improved defensively compared to the beginning of the season. Especially considering we were playing away to a very good Bournemouth side.

Emery's substitutions today however were appalling. We ended up playing much worse because of them. He also should have substituted Mikhi at half time IMO.
Definitely needed to stiffen things in midfield. Guendouzi should have come on earlier in place of Mkhi.

I think our morale is higher than last season and we have defended better as a group but, as the points show, we're not that much better off (2 points) than we were last season and the atmosphere was already getting toxic.

Hopefully this season we kick on and up rather than backwards as we did last season.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
He's doing better than I expected with such a disjointed team/lineup. There are still quite a few players here who fit multiple systems and not Emery's. I'm happy with him so far and I enjoy watching games again where I was depressed for 2 years watching us previously. I'm glad he's here so far.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Both.

Just as bad as last year. We're so disjointed as a team.

We've improved our focus and mental, but we're far off where we feel confident going into a match.

Mustafi also needs to go. Same for Mhki. We need constant performers.

Agree until the last sentence. Squad building is one part of the game, but making a team tick is another. Chelsea and Dortmund looked awfully disjointed and out of confidence under Conte and Bosz/Stoger, but their new managers got them up an running instantly - at least in terms of style and attacking play - and their quality surely isn't lightyears beyond Arsenal's, while Emery has this team mostly plodding around same as last season. And let's not act like he didn't get good reinforcements: He's got a very good CB, one of the best young DMs around and a proper goalkeeper - and you might even count in Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan as winter transfers. Seriously disappointed with the work he's done on the offensive up until now, and absolutely no one can convince me it's just down to the players or squad balance or something. With Lacazette, Aubameyang, Özil, Mkhitaryan, Ramsey, Xhaka, Iwobi you simply have to do better - end of. No one single player is the bane of these shortcomings and it isn't the mixture either. It's the manager. And for a guy who has managed to get the team exactly zero forward in terms of countable peformance, he sure has a big mouth to have a go at the ex manager when that guy should be completely off his mind instead of focusing on how he can fix this misfiring gun.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Don't understand the critique of Emery. We look better than last year. Plus don't forget how awful we have been in Novembers past. Right now we are undefeated since August which is very positive. Are we there yet? No, not by a mile, but we sure look better and more joined up compared to last year. Are still some players like Bellerin a defensive liability, sure, but we are making progress as far as I can see. The new signings are very good, led by our two young midfielders.

Plus, to be honest, I am happy not having to complain about Wenger and have the same discussion year after year with other Arsenal fans. At least there are some new faces, so let's give it some time.

Toby

Don't understand the critique of Emery. We look better than last year. Plus don't forget how awful we have been in Novembers past. Right now we are undefeated since August which is very positive. Are we there yet? No, not by a mile, but we sure look better and more joined up compared to last year. Are still some players like Bellerin a defensive liability, sure, but we are making progress as far as I can see. The new signings are very good, led by our two young midfielders.

Plus, to be honest, I am happy not having to complain about Wenger and have the same discussion year after year with other Arsenal fans. At least there are some new faces, so let's give it some time.

I think we initially looked better, but over the last couple of games the only good one was against Liverpool and that still only gave us a draw. We've lost all of the initial manager change impulse and are now back to where we were last season. We concede the same, we score a little more, we're in a worse position in the league and the same in the EL. Also under recent Wenger we could pull off some magic in certain moments which made us good look, didn't get us into Top 4. Now we look a bit more structured overall but it doesn't really get us anywhere, either.

Against Bournemouth we looked exactly like the team from last season. Don't know how anyone can see anything better in that. Second half was good but we lost exactly such games on a counter in recent years and there was nothing to suggest on Sunday it was massively different.

3 points on Sunday was a big, big mandatory win. Sp**s and Utd will be another two big games.

By no means am I wanting Emery's head yet, this is his first season after all. But we shouldn't start seeing improvement for the sake of justifying getting rid of the last manager where there is no real improvement. Now that we're in the modern football world and the quick wheel of changing managers and players, we should adjust to the ruthlesness of it, too. Right now Emery has the doubt of the new guy who deserves another big summer window and a second season, but if it continues like this in 19/20 that's him done for me.

Toby

Except 17 games unbeaten of course. But yeah, by all means, we’re doing horrible.

We're 5th instead of 4th after matchday 12. Conceded the same amount of goals, but scored 5 more. ****ing Yeehaw to that masterful achievement with 5 players added, 2 of them being european top scorers in recents times.

And 17 games unbeaten...that's such a non thing. 17 games drawn are still 17 games unbeaten. It's actually so non descriptive. I don't know the exact run of form of last season at this point, but look up matchday 12 of the league and matchday 4 of the EL of 17/18. Compare the points, the table, goals scored and goals conceded. It's the ****ing same.

Maybe last season we had the same results but with a loss at game 9, so having an 8 game unbeaten run and then another 8 game unbeaten run after game 9. Going by points it's the ****ing same. Going off that 17 unbeaten run alone without looking at other performance stats is almost borderline stupid. You don't win leagues by going unbeaten the longest, you win by ****ing winning games and getting the most points.

I couldn't care less about unbeaten because unbeaten can mean you draw every game. You can go through a season unbeaten with 38 draws, which takes you to 38 points and keeps you just in the league in 16th, between Brighton and Huddersfield. So if thats what you care about, keep on banging on about being unbeaten.

Last edited:

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
@Toby Andrl

No real improvements? That’s laughable if you really think that.

You go by saying how 17 games unbeaten run is pointless but at the same time you compare goals/points/position stats as some kind of relevant points to your argument? Every season represents it’s own context, we played different opposition with different personel and above all we’re only 12 games in. If you really want to take any kind of conclusion based on above stats wait until the end of the season at least.

But forget about the numbers can’t you see improvements in players development? Tactical preparation and in-game management? You wraped all that up in a simple “we look a bit more structured” which is just not true.

What I really like is you can see the thought process with Emery. The most important is the Team, not individuals. There’s no star players with special treatments only personel with specific qualities that can be used (or not) in certain context. That’s why Özil didn’t play, Emery recognised the physical aspect as an important part to positive result and he adapted accordingly. We’ve won partly beacuse we matched them physically and they faded off in the second half allowing us to impose our authority on the game. That’s improvement for me.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I don't know the exact run of form of last season at this point, but look up matchday 12 of the league and matchday 4 of the EL of 17/18. Compare the points, the table, goals scored and goals conceded. It's the ****ing same.
What a stupid way to compare seasons when you should know that we played different teams at that point in last season's fixtures...

We MOST CERTAINLY have improved. Long way to go but no way are we as flaky as last season. The league is also quite a lot tougher this year.

Bournemouth a mandatory win? What absolute bollocks. They've had a decent season and a few weeks ago were lying 5th. This isn't the 90s anymore. There are no easy games in the league.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Quite possibly the only team worse this season compared to the last one are Man. Utd; and they still won away at Juventus. Maybe Newcastle too? Every other team looks stronger. Boggles the mind that people compare the aggregate results of different seasons directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom