• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

APierre

You Wanna Come Out Here?
Emery inheritated a completely disjointed team with a shattered confidence. He’s barely been in charge for 6 months, in a league tougher than ever. Klopp finished 8th in his first season, Mourinho finished 6th and even the almighty Pep Guardiola with all the money in the world barely managed to finish 4th.

Emery has had a good start.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Emery inheritated a completely disjointed team with a shattered confidence. He’s barely been in charge for 6 months, in a league tougher than ever. Klopp finished 8th in his first season, Mourinho finished 6th and even the almighty Pep Guardiola with all the money in the world barely managed to finish 4th.

Emery has had a good start.
Completely agree with you. The big one here is Guardiola with all that money finishing 4th...

Unreal bullocks on this forum of late.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
What a stupid way to compare seasons when you should know that we played different teams at that point in last season's fixtures...

We MOST CERTAINLY have improved. Long way to go but no way are we as flaky as last season. The league is also quite a lot tougher this year.

Bournemouth a mandatory win? What absolute bollocks. They've had a decent season and a few weeks ago were lying 5th. This isn't the 90s anymore. There are no easy games in the league.

What a stupid way to compare seasons when you should know that we played different teams at that point in last season's fixtures...

We MOST CERTAINLY have improved. Long way to go but no way are we as flaky as last season. The league is also quite a lot tougher this year.

Bournemouth a mandatory win? What absolute bollocks. They've had a decent season and a few weeks ago were lying 5th. This isn't the 90s anymore. There are no easy games in the league.

That is an apologetic bullshit post. If we don't win against Bournemouth we are trailing the Top 4 by several points. Which is exactly why we changed managers. It's absolutely irrelevant who the last guy was and who the New guy is, but you change to get better and as of now it isn't happening. Anyone who says this team is better than last season's is apologetic cause "work in progress" bla bla. Sarri has turned Hazard to 11 in a month, Favre turned Dortmund into an attacking machine but boo hoo this squad here us so bad and disjointed we would be scraping for worse if not for Emery...such absolute bullshit.

And btw the fixtures up until now are absolutely comparable, including big games. We played mostly the same teams, we played the exact same three big teams. I check and Research stuff before I put it on here. So you go and do the same before you call stuff I do bullshit.

We are as **** as last season and if you can't see that my bad. But right now Emery doesn’t in any way show he is the right man longterm.

Toby

@Toby Andrl

No real improvements? That’s laughable if you really think that.

You go by saying how 17 games unbeaten run is pointless but at the same time you compare goals/points/position stats as some kind of relevant points to your argument? Every season represents it’s own context, we played different opposition with different personel and above all we’re only 12 games in. If you really want to take any kind of conclusion based on above stats wait until the end of the season at least.

But forget about the numbers can’t you see improvements in players development? Tactical preparation and in-game management? You wraped all that up in a simple “we look a bit more structured” which is just not true.

What I really like is you can see the thought process with Emery. The most important is the Team, not individuals. There’s no star players with special treatments only personel with specific qualities that can be used (or not) in certain context. That’s why Özil didn’t play, Emery recognised the physical aspect as an important part to positive result and he adapted accordingly. We’ve won partly beacuse we matched them physically and they faded off in the second half allowing us to impose our authority on the game. That’s improvement for me.

I respect your opinion but to me it's just this: Justifying for the sake of it when in fact there is no real improvement.

Tom349

That is an apologetic bullshit post. If we don't win against Bournemouth we are trailing the Top 4 by several points. Which is exactly why we changed managers. It's absolutely irrelevant who the last guy was and who the New guy is, but you change to get better and as of now it isn't happening. Anyone who says this team is better than last season's is apologetic cause "work in progress" bla bla. Sarri has turned Hazard to 11 in a month, Favre turned Dortmund into an attacking machine but boo hoo this squad here us so bad and disjointed we would be scraping for worse if not for Emery...such absolute bullshit.

And btw the fixtures up until now are absolutely comparable, including big games. We played mostly the same teams, we played the exact same three big teams. I check and Research stuff before I put it on here. So you go and do the same before you call stuff I do bullshit.

We are as **** as last season and if you can't see that my bad. But right now Emery doesn’t in any way show he is the right man longterm.

Yep considering we have got PEA, Sokaratis, Leno and most importantly Torrirea, it should be expected that we have improved considerably. Instead we are in a similar position, I don't think that warrants praise.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Looks like people thought we’d compete for the title instantly. Only way I can understand the over the top criticism. You set yourself up to be disappointed.

I see a manager that is motivated, eager to challenge, passionate and he obviously knows what he’s doing. I have complete faith in him. Top 4 seems like a goal we can reach, from there we move forward again.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I respect your opinion but to me it's just this: Justifying for the sake of it when in fact there is no real improvement.

I guess we have a different understanding of what it means to show improvement.

What were your expectations going into the season under Emery? What is your treshold to deem this season as a success or rather an improvement from previous season(s)?

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
@Toby Andrl

I in part understand the negative outlook but I think you focus too much on the stylistic part of the game. Yes, Favre rejuvenated Dortmund and Sarri changed the style but these are the clubs that had a modern infrastructure in place to quickly adapt. (We can also debate if Sarri did a better job than Emery by the end of the season since they definitely don't look more convincing despite a better start)

We needed a much different change than a stylistic one. We need an interior change and someone to set up sails for a new era. The context of Dortmund and Chelsea prior to new manager appointments is light and day ahead of ours. You can also argue that it's not a coincidence that Emery's signings are standing out in this team so why so quick to judge when that is an improvement even in the squad revamping aspect compared to what we had last couple of seasons. We can also debate if Sarri or Favre would have had a better start with this team.

The fact that this team comes from behind so often and that we have seen adaptability to different tactics and teams is a breath of fresh air. The positions seem much more defined and player roles in certain formations too. It is also bit unfair to compare to last season at this time also considering Emery's first two games. We have won as much away games until November as we have won in the whole of previou season too.

At the start of the season nobody expected us to challenge for anything. It was just 'enjoy the ride' and giving a coach a free pass after all the shambles. I think this debate is also a sign of improvement (bigger expectation than at the start of the season). After next two games we'll see.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Looks like people thought we’d compete for the title instantly. Only way I can understand the over the top criticism. You set yourself up to be disappointed.

I see a manager that is motivated, eager to challenge, passionate and he obviously knows what he’s doing. I have complete faith in him. Top 4 seems like a goal we can reach, from there we move forward again.
Also confused. Wondering if people expected a quadruple or something!

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

What exactly were you expecting? To lift the title in May? Delusion in abundance here. Feck me, this is why opposition fans have so much ammo. We have absolute irrational neanderthals supporting this club.

pikey2000

Accumulated as many away wins after GW13 than we did in the entirety of last season.

17 games unbeaten? again, better than last season.

Points wise we are 2 points better off than this stage last season in a league where all teams have improved beyond last year.

What we desperately need now is a win against one of the big boys just to give the team confirmation that they can compete, the Pool match went some way to doing that but we need a win before we start hearing the same old "can't compete against the big teams"

It will be really interesting to see what the team looks like after a couple of transfers windows under the new structure, then we can begin truly passing judgement imo.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
This thread is proof why I don't bother writing paragraphs on my opinions on football. It's a waste of time and gives you more opportunity to chat ****. I might chat **** but at least I get to the point.

If you were expecting much better so far under Emery considering what happened under Wenger the last two seasons then you're a muppet.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
This thread is proof why I don't bother writing paragraphs on my opinions on football. It's a waste of time and gives you more opportunity to chat ****. I might chat **** but at least I get to the point.

If you were expecting much better so far under Emery considering what happened under Wenger the last two seasons then you're a muppet.
Thought you got to the point, SHould have just been..

you're a muppet.

I don't know why people are undermine our unbeaten run or just unbeaten runs in general. One of the greatest achievement of this club is the unbeaten run in the league. Yes unbeaten runs can be all draws, but our unbeaten runs are not made up of just draws. Our unbeaten run is impressive specially given that we are going through huge transformation!

I think we are seeing improvements, we are yet to have the lead in the first half but two months ago we were often failing to take control over games from the start. I think now we are starting to take control earlier in the first half and our chapter of domination in possession are getting longer as well.

A few players are still making brain dead individual errors but there are also examples of players who know exactly now what is required of them like Bellerin for example, he plays now like he knows what the plan is and now he only attempts low crosses and cut backs.

A lot of improvements but also a lot of things to work on. I'm happy with how things are going!

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Yep considering we have got PEA, Sokaratis, Leno and most importantly Torrirea, it should be expected that we have improved considerably. Instead we are in a similar position, I don't think that warrants praise.

Then name one Wenger signing in his later years that actually improved us. Because under Wenger we've been stagnant for years, we got Özil but the our league campaign wasn't better than the previous one, we got Sanchez, the same, we got Lacazette, the same, we got Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang and the second half of that season wasn't any better than the first one.

We are two points better off in a league that is more difficult than last season, under the guidance of a notoriously cup-oriented manager with 3 European titles compared to Wenger's 0, in his first season after 22 years of Wenger (and look how United have done since Ferguson left,) being just as injury-ridden as ever. I say that at the very least it's too early to be negative about anything really.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Then name one Wenger signing in his later years that actually improved us. Because under Wenger we've been stagnant for years, we got Özil but the our league campaign wasn't better than the previous one, we got Sanchez, the same, we got Lacazette, the same, we got Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang and the second half of that season wasn't any better than the first one.

We are two points better off in a league that is more difficult than last season, under the guidance of a notoriously cup-oriented manager with 3 European titles compared to Wenger's 0, in his first season after 22 years of Wenger (and look how United have done since Ferguson left,) being just as injury-ridden as ever. I say that at the very least it's too early to be negative about anything really.

We did finish third and second , it might have been a lot closer if we hadn't lost key players to injuries , namely Ramsey in 2013/2014 and Cazorla in 15/16 . We also won 3 fa cups .

ThlRama

Player:Saka
We did finish third and second , it might have been a lot closer if we hadn't lost key players to injuries , namely Ramsey in 2013/2014 and Cazorla in 15/16 . We also won 3 fa cups .

Well, the cup runs are still on. And we have to decide whether we are looking at league positions or points total. We finished second on a points total that wouldn't even get 4th in other seasons, maybe not even 5th? Not sure about that. So the top of the league was crap that season and that's what allowed Leicester to win it. Even more damning.

Toby

What exactly were you expecting? To lift the title in May? Delusion in abundance here. Feck me, this is why opposition fans have so much ammo. We have absolute irrational neanderthals supporting this club.

You don't change managers and rustle the backroom to have the exact same situation as before. What I expected? Being tighter at the back, more cohesion offensively and less need for indivudual performances to get us over the line. And a serious challenge for Top 4. Nowhere did I say I want or expect the title. We don't show the first two things on the pitch, we're still massively dependend on individual performances and depending on the next two games we might be trailing the Top 4 by early December. That's exactly none better than last season and if you can't can't see that you're the delusional one.

I actually brought the Klopp example forward myself. Yes he took them over at 9th and only took them to 8th in his first season. But you could already see him starting to implement his distinct style. Something like that would be absolutely okay to me at Arsenal: Finishing 5th this season again but we can see a distinct system develop over the course of the season. But by now this is all very shambolic and disjointed to me. So if we're not playing better per se, and not performing better at the same time - and that's worth criticizing to me.

After years of excuses for Wenger cause of the financial restraints, and the love for him as a person and whatnot I'm not prepared to shield the new guy with excuses of being new, and players too bad and all this being a process. The guy came in to dust off Arsenal and get us into the Top 4 again and not to start the next two decade building project. And he's just not delivering as of now. And now that the club is in the modern era of multi person leaderships and past Wenger, I want the club to be as ruthless as other top clubs with their managers. Kovac is probably getting fired any day now and he's in his job just as short as Emery. I am absolutely prepared to give him this season and maybe next, but something has to happen over the next couple of months, cause right now I'm seeing nothing to suggest we can mount a serious Top 4 challenge this season.

And with Emery it isn't about patience and time and **** anymore. Now that Wenger is gone it's all about peformance to me.

I actually find it neanderthalic that some fans project their reverence, love and idolization for Wenger on Emery just cause he is the manager and says some nice things about football when in fact he has delivered **** all at this club by now, and constantly try to find some tactical twist in his subsitutions and whatnot when in fact we look as shambolic at the back as before Emery and still lack cohesion when attacking.

I was happy we got a real manager in Emery and not some Arteta or Henry type guy. But he has to earn his badges here. He's not excluded from criticism and revered by me just cause he's here.

Last edited:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Well, the cup runs are still on. And we have to decide whether we are looking at league positions or points total. We finished second on a points total that wouldn't even get 4th in other seasons, maybe not even 5th? Not sure about that. So the top of the league was crap that season and that's what allowed Leicester to win it. Even more damning.

I've already mentioned why we didn't make a bigger impression those years , I don't give a crap about points totals , do people complain about how many points they win the league by don't think so . I digress thought I don't want to revisit the past over and over .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom